Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Camry closes in no.1 ranking for full year sales!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-08, 08:48 PM
5gears-IS
Great Deal Guru

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Corolla Hybrid

Originally Posted by JLSC4
The main reason why there isn't a Corolla hybrid is because Toyota has the Prius which sells at the same price as the Civic hybrid. Actually, they are the only competitor to one another. Also, Toyota can't get enough batteries from it's supplier just to satisfy Prius, Camry h, Highlander h, ect. Otherwise, Toyota WOULD be able to build enough Prius's and there wouldn't be a 6 month waiting list.
A Hybrid Corolla would the *****
Old 07-08-08, 09:05 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by doug_999
Funny - when I look at the back of an Accord coupe, it says Accord. But when I look at the back of a Matrix and/or Solara, I just don't see the Corolla and/or Camry badging.....

Of course this has already been discussed ad nauseum....Toyota's Marketing Department Rules!

And unless the sales lead dramatically widens each month, at current rates (where the Camry is outselling the ford by 3-4K per month), then the F150 will not lose its sales crown this year....

*edit, unless of course they rename the Prius the Camry Prius on the website.....
Funny - when I look at the back of a Acura RL, it doesn't say Legend.

Of course this has already been discussed ad nauseum ... Honda's Marketing Department rules!

Camry sales do not necessarily have to "widen each month" to beat F150. With gas prices creeping up to about $5 a gallon, F150 sales will continue to go down each month. It's not rocket science.
Old 07-09-08, 09:06 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
When I look at the back of an "Acura CSX" I don't see a Honda symbol, or any Civic badging even though I know it's just a rebadged Civic.

The Civic includes sedan, coupe, AND hybrid sales. The Corolla includes only sedan and hatch (Matrix sales). We KNOW the Matrix is just a Corolla hatch. What if the Civic Si never had Civic badging, but only Si badging? According to your logic, would the Si have to be counted separately then?
Originally Posted by F1Driver
Funny - when I look at the back of a Acura RL, it doesn't say Legend.

Of course this has already been discussed ad nauseum ... Honda's Marketing Department rules!

Camry sales do not necessarily have to "widen each month" to beat F150. With gas prices creeping up to about $5 a gallon, F150 sales will continue to go down each month. It's not rocket science.
Ok guys, not sure what points you are trying to make here - but the fact is that the Matrix does not say Corolla on it and the Solara does not say Camry.

Points about the RL and Legend make no sense nor does an Acura CSX comment when that car is not included in Civic sales. Fact is the Civic SI says Civic on it.

Oh and Camry sales as compared to F150 sales do in fact have to widen each month in order for Camry to overtake the F150 this year - Do the math.

PS TRD - ever seen the inside of a Matrix? Doesn't look much like a Corolla to me....either does the outside
Old 07-09-08, 01:15 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Thumbs down

Ok guys, not sure what points you are trying to make here - but the fact is that the Matrix does not say Corolla on it and the Solara does not say Camry.

Points about the RL and Legend make no sense nor does an Acura CSX comment when that car is not included in Civic sales. Fact is the Civic SI says Civic on it.

Oh and Camry sales as compared to F150 sales do in fact have to widen each month in order for Camry to overtake the F150 this year - Do the math.

PS TRD - ever seen the inside of a Matrix? Doesn't look much like a Corolla to me....either does the outside
I get the feeling you like arguing just for the sake of arguing because you are seriously lacking any logic.
Old 07-09-08, 01:41 PM
xioix
Racer

Does these look alike?

Old 07-09-08, 01:46 PM
TLe2006
Lexus Champion

They don't look alike but it has the badge civic on the back. Isn't that Si verson brought over from the UK?
Old 07-09-08, 04:26 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Logic

Originally Posted by F1Driver
I get the feeling you like arguing just for the sake of arguing because you are seriously lacking any logic.
I am not going to jump into the argument of who is right/wrong but I will say that I understand doug_999's logic.

The argument, as I understand it, is whether or not Solara & Matrix sales should count towards Camry/Corolla sales. The main point here being that they do not have the words Camry/Corolla on the back of the vehicle. Bringing up the Acura CSX or Honda Legend would only be relevant if Honda tried to combine CSX & Civic sales or Legend & RL sales which I do not think that the do.

Therefore, since this discussion is about combining sales #s & not about rebadging, I can see doug_999's point. Not saying that s/he is right/wrong - just that s/he seems the more logical one in terms of staying on topic ...

Old 07-09-08, 05:06 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When the dealership sold my inlaws their Toyota Matrix, nowhere on the sales invoice did it mention Corolla. It was simply a Toyota Matrix. Personally, I was never interested in the car anyway and it wasn't until I read posts on this forum did I realize the Matrix was once called Corolla Matrix or whatever. I knew it was based of the Corolla, but I don't think it is a Corolla.

Acura CSX being a re-badged Civic doesn't mean anything because it is NOT counted toward Civic sales.

Anyway, all this BS about who is the sales leader and not IMHO is worthless dribble since most people don't really care at all. Plus you have to factor in fleet sales, and all that other nonsense which only further skews numbers.
Old 07-09-08, 08:10 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

The Toyota Corolla Matrix, commonly referred to as the Toyota Matrix, is a compact hatchback manufactured by Toyota Motor Corporation in Cambridge, Ontario, Canada and sold in North America.
source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Corolla_Matrix
Old 07-09-08, 08:22 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

References to "Toyota Corolla Matrix":

http://www.motortrend.com/features/a...rix/index.html

http://www.worldcarfans.com/9071031....matrix-at-sema

http://www.popularmechanics.com/blog...s/4229492.html

http://www.*****************.com/cars-...la_matrix-2243

http://www.trucktrend.com/multimedia...ery/index.html
Old 07-09-08, 11:52 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Does it say Corolla Matrix anywhere on the window sticker? I never noticed if it did or not. Not that I really looked at the car all that much.
Old 07-10-08, 09:39 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by xioix
Does these look alike?
Actually they do - with the exception of the shifter location (instruments and vent locations look the same). Of course you put the SI interior in there not the coupe, but oh well.

Now these babies... well they are a bit different...

Last edited by doug_999; 07-10-08 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-10-08, 09:40 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Hmmm, any of those from the Toyota website?
Old 07-10-08, 09:58 AM
F1Driver
Advanced

Exclamation

Hmmm, any of those from the Toyota website?
If you have a problem with Toyota lumping Matrix sales with Corolla then perhaps you should write them a letter? There must be a good reason why Toyota lumps Matrix sales with Corolla considering that the automotive industry does refer to the Matrix as "Corolla Matrix" even though it does not wear a Corolla name tag.
Old 07-10-08, 10:03 AM
F1Driver
Advanced

Actually they do - with the exception of the shifter location (instruments and vent locations look the same). Of course you put the SI interior in there not the coupe, but oh well.

Now these babies... well they are a bit different...

Let's see here:

1. Steering wheels are exactly the same.

2. Dials on center console are the same.

3. Same chassis.

4. Same engines.

Way too many sameness to not be considered a "Corolla" variant, e.g. 5 door hatchback with different body styling.

Quick Reply: Camry closes in no.1 ranking for full year sales!!