Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Which would you choose ?
Infiniti G37X AWD coupe
40.54%
Lexus GS350AWD
18.92%
Audi A5
40.54%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

G37X vs GS350AWD vs A5

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-08, 12:44 PM
Mixman
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default G37X vs GS350AWD vs A5

OK. Here are my sensible choice cars.......AWD, not crazy on gas and not too much money. I am aiming for an S5 but the lease rates are still crazy and the waiting list is still long. Possibly a GS450H but it all depends on their availability, my ability to make a deal and those lease rates too.
Old 07-08-08, 12:53 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I never drove the A5, but its so gorgeous it gives me shivers. Based on the looks alone, I'd take the A5.
Old 07-08-08, 01:02 PM
carguy101
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

G37X sedan or coupe?
Old 07-08-08, 01:08 PM
Mixman
Pole Position

G37 AWD Coupe.
Old 07-08-08, 01:13 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Audi S5>Audi A5.

So considering your choices I would go with the G37AWD coupe. Beautiful machine
Old 07-08-08, 01:51 PM
SilverBull
Advanced

The Audi is sweet looking car but not fast enough in just the A-form. The S-5 is the only way to go in my opinion. The styling is bad *** though for that ride. Either way get the Audi A5 with those choices.
Old 07-08-08, 02:46 PM
carguy101
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by louiegs400
they dont make all wheel drive coupes

there is no g37x sedan right now

its called g35x = all wheel drive
then they have a base model * g35*
then they have base sport model * g35s*
then they have
g35xs = all wheel drive sport

g37 = is coupe
g37s = is coupe sport model

they are in the make of makeing a new g35 into g37 sedan but its not out yet !!!! for right now its g35x sedan !
check on g35driver.com on the g35 forums
i'am a owner of 2007 g35x
I was assuming that the OP was referring to the upcoming 2009 models. As you said, the G35x sedan will become the G37x sedan. Infiniti is also adding an AWD version of the G37 coupe.
Old 07-08-08, 03:02 PM
Mixman
Pole Position

Yep they are doing a G37 AWD with 7sp auto tranny. Might not come out till late this year early next. Should be sweet. Whether or not it will come in the sport package or not, I don't know.
Old 07-08-08, 03:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverBull
The Audi is sweet looking car but not fast enough in just the A-form. The S-5 is the only way to go in my opinion. The styling is bad *** though for that ride.
Speed apparantly does not seem to be high on Mixman's criteria list. So why spend money on more engine than necessary?

Of the three you named, Mixman, I'd go with the G37 AWD. It is likely to be the most reliable of the three. The GS350AWD may be more plush and comfortable, but, according to Consumer Reports, the GS AWD line does not have the reliability of most other Lexus products.....it would be a more risky buy than the generally reliable Infiniti G-series. The Audi A5 would probably be even less reliable...especially in electronics.

But........here's another suggestion. You seem to appreciate a good AWD system. Check out the Subaru Legacy GT.....a superb AWD system combined with Subaru's better-than-average reliability. The Legacy is a nice car inside and out (you will see that when you look at one), and you can probably get a new one for the price of a used Infiniti, Lexus, or Audi. If you don't need the Legacy GT's power, there's a N/A Legacy version available....it's a good deal slower, but uses regular gas.
Old 07-08-08, 03:45 PM
LexFather

My thoughts. A5 looks good but no true sunroof and still questionable electronics bug me. Also it will be a CLEAR step slower than the GS and G37.

That brings me to the G37. Looks nice, nice interior, will drive the sportiest of the trio. To me though, it doesn't drive that much sportier than a GS to where you can overlook the tiny trunk/backseat etc.

Which brings me to my pick, the GS. It looks just as swoopy as those 2 coupes. Then you get a backseat and trunk and top notch fit and finish with the Audi. Its speed is on par with the G37. What you will miss is the steering response but its a GS so that should be expected.

Old 07-08-08, 03:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT

Which brings me to my pick, the GS. It looks just as swoopy as those 2 coupes. Then you get a backseat and trunk and top notch fit and finish with the Audi. Its speed is on par with the G37. What you will miss is the steering response but its a GS so that should be expected.
Would you pick it with CR's worse-than-average reliability rating (the only Lexus model so rated)?
Old 07-08-08, 04:00 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Would you pick it with CR's worse-than-average reliability rating (the only Lexus model so rated)?
I believe that was for 2006 AWD models only. I know Lexus had their best engineers stop production to find out what the flaws were and they had dealers ship problematic cars back to Japan so they could figure things out.

Looking at our forums, I really haven't seen many/any AWD owners complain about their cars.

Old 07-08-08, 04:56 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd go with the A5.
Old 07-08-08, 05:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I believe that was for 2006 AWD models only. I know Lexus had their best engineers stop production to find out what the flaws were and they had dealers ship problematic cars back to Japan so they could figure things out.

Looking at our forums, I really haven't seen many/any AWD owners complain about their cars.
OK...you might be ahead of me on this one. I didn't know there was an investigation at Lexus on these cars.

Still, it is surprising. It is essentially the same AWD system that goes on the non-hybrid RX models, which have been in production for years....and that AWD system was perfected a long time ago.
Old 07-08-08, 05:55 PM
Mixman
Pole Position

My thoughts. A5 looks good but no true sunroof and still questionable electronics bug me. Also it will be a CLEAR step slower than the GS and G37.

That brings me to the G37. Looks nice, nice interior, will drive the sportiest of the trio. To me though, it doesn't drive that much sportier than a GS to where you can overlook the tiny trunk/backseat etc.

The Audi A5 and the G350 both run 0-60 at about 5.8 secs. Everyone thinks the A5 is dead slow, but that is only in comparison to the S5.

Quick Reply: G37X vs GS350AWD vs A5