Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Have anybody drove the new Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-08 | 01:58 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

Default Have anybody drove the new Maxima

I was at the Gym this morning and parked beside me was a Black Maxima. In my opion it looks pretty good in person nothing like the Altima. Have anybody drove one yet?
Old 07-09-08 | 08:13 AM
DSM2GS400
Driver

Dont' know about the states but the 09 Maxima isn't avaliable in Canada yet. (I'm a sales manager at a Nissan Dealer)
290hp isn't bad though, and its smaller and lighter than the current model. Should be a pretty good car.
Old 07-09-08 | 08:42 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Nice thread title grammar.
Old 07-09-08 | 09:41 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Default bad thread title.

you should fix the title of this thread I though you were talking Motorola Maxx or the new Max Smart Car. Really have no idea what to expect in here. Maxima was the last thing I expected.

(bitkahuna: fixed)

Last edited by bitkahuna; 07-09-08 at 08:38 PM.
Old 07-09-08 | 10:55 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by toy4two
you should fix the title of this thread I though you were talking Motorola Maxx or the new Max Smart Car. Really have no idea what to expect in here. Maxima was the last thing I expected.
Funny, It was the first thing I thought. The other two still don't register.
Old 07-09-08 | 12:11 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Mike/MMarshall, time for a review...

My opinion on looks: Nissan is being different, which does not necessarily mean better. But I applaud the new Maxima's daring design. It may not appeal to the masses, but it does make a statement.

Hopefully, its performance differentiates it significantly from the Altima. I have always found it difficult to differentiate the functionality between the two...
Old 07-09-08 | 12:31 PM
vboy418
Lexus Champion

I had an 08 maxima for about a yr, I would love to test drive the 09 and see the difference.
Old 07-09-08 | 12:48 PM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

saw it on the road yesterday.....looks very nice from 15ft away.....
Old 07-09-08 | 01:44 PM
ICEBERGS
Lead Lap

I actually drove it last week and I can honestly say that I was somewhat impressed. It is in every which way better than the previous generation, but then again thats not saying much because IMO that killed the maxima. The interior and seats are very nice. You can defintely tell that there is alot of sharing with Infiniti good for max owners bad for infiniti owners. I like the interior layout very upscale.The V6 is actually pretty strong but doesnt have that stick you in the seat factor. The CVT transmission gets some getting use to if its your first time driving one. Its weird!!!! The handling is much better than before. I think nissan is getting back on the right track but still has some ways to go to re-kindle the 4DSC slogan they are trying to put back in the Maxima. No 6speed is offered..WTF???I had a 91 5 spd maxima back in the day and thats what gave it that wow factor and surprised people!!!
I like it but now enought to spend the 36 grand on it

Last edited by ICEBERGS; 07-09-08 at 01:59 PM.
Old 07-09-08 | 01:46 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

I'll probaly go check one out this week-end. I like the ones with the 19 inch wheels.
Old 07-09-08 | 02:59 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ICEBERGS
I think nissan is getting back on the right track but still has some ways to go to re-kindle the 4DSC slogan they are trying to put back in the Maxima. No 6speed is offered..WTF???I had a 91 5 spd maxima back in the day and thats what gave it that wow factor and surprised people!!!
I know Nissan is marketing the new Maxima as the return of the 4DSC but times have changed and the Maxima can never again be marketed as the car it was. It's not the car's fault, it simply occupies a different place than it once did. This is probably the best Maxima there has ever been but unlike the 90's there's now the G35 and many other front wheel-drive sporty sedans like the Acura TL in the competition.

I don't think Nissan should use the 4DSC nick name because that moniker can't apply to the Maxima any longer. The G35 is their true 4DSC.

The Maxima is a sporty, near-lux sedan and seen in that light, it's one of the best choices available.

BTW; a well equipped 09 Max can easily be had for around 31K.
Old 07-09-08 | 03:09 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by speedflex
I know Nissan is marketing the new Maxima as the return of the 4DSC but times have changed and the Maxima can never again be marketed as the car it was. It's not the car's fault, it simply occupies a different place than it once did. This is probably the best Maxima there has ever been but unlike the 90's there's now the G35 and many other front wheel-drive sporty sedans like the Acura TL in the competition.

I don't think Nissan should use the 4DSC nick name because that moniker can't apply to the Maxima any longer. The G35 is their true 4DSC.

The Maxima is a sporty, near-lux sedan and seen in that light, it's one of the best choices available.

BTW; a well equipped 09 Max can easily be had for around 31K.
Originally Posted by ICEBERGS
I actually drove it last week and I can honestly say that I was somewhat impressed. It is in every which way better than the previous generation, but then again thats not saying much because IMO that killed the maxima. The interior and seats are very nice. You can defintely tell that there is alot of sharing with Infiniti good for max owners bad for infiniti owners. I like the interior layout very upscale.The V6 is actually pretty strong but doesnt have that stick you in the seat factor. The CVT transmission gets some getting use to if its your first time driving one. Its weird!!!! The handling is much better than before. I think nissan is getting back on the right track but still has some ways to go to re-kindle the 4DSC slogan they are trying to put back in the Maxima. No 6speed is offered..WTF???I had a 91 5 spd maxima back in the day and thats what gave it that wow factor and surprised people!!!

Both those posts are on point

I'll see if I can get my hands on one.
Old 07-09-08 | 03:24 PM
RI-Lex
Racer

actually saw one today in silver looks nice, glass roof too, my cousin wants to trade his FX35 for this new gen MAX, nice car I must say