Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Do you care if a buddy drives your car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-08, 09:48 PM
LexFather

Yup, they can drive my car and as stated by newr, push it if u can. Besides, I know if my friends break something, they can pay for it. lol

Old 07-09-08, 10:23 PM
hass
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only let the ones that understand how low my car is. Only the ones that love cars lol
Old 07-09-08, 11:18 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont care who drives my car.
Old 07-10-08, 12:17 AM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SilverBull
My buddy is overly **** about his car I now know. I never assumed he was until now. He has no wife or kids and he is 30 years old. He is trying to tell me how it works with his car since it is "one-off" type of NSX. It bothers me since he claims I should drive a NSX but he won't let me drive his car. I told him you can have my car if I destroy yours. That didn't seem to help. He has spent a fortune doing odds and ends to it and treats it like a piece of a refined Gold. He actually used the analogy of a stamp collection with his cars. I said this to him, "How am I going to tell my sons that they can't take the comic out and read it since it will devalue the comic? What good is a comic book if you can't read it I say."

This guy also doesn't drive his car very often if at all. It is more of a museum type of car than an automobile. To be honest, I lost some respect for the guy when he went off the deep end about his car.

Perhaps he feels your manual driving skills aren't up to par yet, or at least not yet for his car. Based on your description, I suspect that he's a Prime member and owns either a Factor X turbo NSX or a custom turbo NSX, both of which are putting down over 500 at the wheels - that's over twice the amount of power to the wheels compared to stock. A turbo NSX isn't the easiest car to handle. I wouldn't trust just anyone with that car either. A money shift on a turbo NSX would be about $30k in damage, months of downtime for repair and scouring for parts, and a lot of blood, sweat, and tears. Remember, custom means you can't get a regular mechanic to work on it.

That said, there are a handful of friends that I let borrow my car. I let them take it for the day when I'm not using it. However, there are others that I wouldn't even offer to let them drive my car with me in it.

Personally, I think your friend is right - you should test drive a regular NSX, not his.
Old 07-10-08, 12:27 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When I had my NSX, I used to offer to let my friend's drive it all the time if they wanted to. Funny thing is none of them took me up on my offer. They were all afraid they would break something or get into an accident I worked hard and saved up my money for a very long time to be able to afford a used NSX, so I was more than happy to share the joy with others if they wanted to. Our family friends will be watching our BMW when we go on our trip in August. They know they can drive it anytime they want during our trip. The only thing we asked was to fill up gas when we come back

I personally believe there is no joy by yourself. I rather have my friends and family enjoy things with me than to try and enjoy it alone.

PS. Most of the NSX owners I personally know would be willing to let you drive their car if they know you well enough. The first thing my friend said when it got the Comptech SC and 6-Speed conversion is you have to drive this car when you visit
Old 07-10-08, 12:46 AM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1K8lpwjHJQ

Lovefab turbo NSX. I'd be scared to push this on the street.
Old 07-10-08, 05:25 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Funny, the only friends I have that ask to drive my car are the ones who cant afford to buy a car for themselves, all paid for by their parents, and drives a beater because they crashed their first one, and all drive like madman. I dont even let them sit in my cars

The responsible good friends I have never ask me if they can drive my car
Old 07-10-08, 10:49 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

funny thing is, i'm not a fan of other people driving my car ever, but for some reason my car gets drivin by other people more often than the other cars in my group of friends
Old 07-10-08, 12:16 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only a select few, when they have to borrow my cars,
but usually I don't let anyone drive my cars.
Old 07-10-08, 01:50 PM
SilverBull
Advanced

CK6Speed put it right on. The joy of cars is to be driven. Those that treat them like it is a piece from a museum need to evaluate their life a little. I like my car a lot by I will toss the keys to most of my friends that can drive a stick and then some. I don't like showing people that stereo type car attitude that goes with Porsches, BMW's or MB's. I drove a friend's car that was like that and it just blew me away. I remember saying to myself, "Once I get one of these I will not treat people the same way." I treat people the way I would like to be treated.

In fact he does have a FX500(Factor X) kit on his NSX but even before that kit he was overly weird about someone driving his car. The NSX is unique by all means but this guy has known me for several years now. He has always known me to be a very good driver and responsible.

To each his own but I think people sweating over their car is something they will regret down the road. Money does NOT buy happiness no matter what you may believe.

Last edited by SilverBull; 07-10-08 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-10-08, 02:26 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I dont care who drives my car as long as their safe.

I let my friend drive my ride yesterday because "he never driven a lexus before" i can say he had more fun then i did haha. I havent seen my car hit 100 so many times in 30minutes
Old 07-10-08, 02:30 PM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

My buddy lets me drive his 2008 x5 all the time. But I prefer to be driven and chauffeured.
Old 07-10-08, 03:05 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverBull
CK6Speed put it right on. The joy of cars is to be driven. Those that treat them like it is a piece from a museum need to evaluate their life a little. I like my car a lot by I will toss the keys to most of my friends that can drive a stick and then some. I don't like showing people that stereo type car attitude that goes with Porsches, BMW's or MB's. I drove a friend's car that was like that and it just blew me away. I remember saying to myself, "Once I get one of these I will not treat people the same way." I treat people the way I would like to be treated.

In fact he does have a FX500(Factor X) kit on his NSX but even before that kit he was overly weird about someone driving his car. The NSX is unique by all means but this guy has known me for several years now. He has always known me to be a very good driver and responsible.

To each his own but I think people sweating over their car is something they will regret down the road. Money does NOT buy happiness no matter what you may believe.
i don't need to re-evalutate myself, i did before already. problem is not everyone can treat my cars like how i'd treat them. cars are to be have fun with, but i consider them like my kids too. i wouldn't randomly give them to anyone unless they know exactly how to take care of them like i do

exactly why i don't drive people's car unless i let them drive my cars, and i never regret not driving theirs

it's not about money, it's about respect imho. just me, no one needs to agree with me
Old 07-10-08, 03:46 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

I agree with henry on this one.
Old 07-10-08, 04:13 PM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Only to the select few who I trust.

Quick Reply: Do you care if a buddy drives your car?