Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Do you care if a buddy drives your car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-08, 04:15 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

certain people only
Old 07-10-08, 04:26 PM
AJ
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i don't need to re-evalutate myself, i did before already. problem is not everyone can treat my cars like how i'd treat them. cars are to be have fun with, but i consider them like my kids too. i wouldn't randomly give them to anyone unless they know exactly how to take care of them like i do

exactly why i don't drive people's car unless i let them drive my cars, and i never regret not driving theirs

it's not about money, it's about respect imho. just me, no one needs to agree with me
Exactly what i think I never drive my friends' cars cause i dont like anyone driving mine
Old 07-10-08, 04:59 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverBull
In fact he does have a FX500(Factor X) kit on his NSX but even before that kit he was overly weird about someone driving his car. The NSX is unique by all means but this guy has known me for several years now. He has always known me to be a very good driver and responsible.

To each his own but I think people sweating over their car is something they will regret down the road. Money does NOT buy happiness no matter what you may believe.
The one thing about the NSX especially when it is boosted with a Factor X system which can have well over 500 HP is at any second if you do the wrong move you can go into snap oversteer and if you hit something say bye bye to the car. A local NSX friend has a Factor X kit putting down at least 500 WHP. Even I'm afraid to drive that car and I have experience driving an NSX for years.
Old 07-10-08, 05:22 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by knihc2008
I wouldn't have a problem letting a friend who also had a kitted/lowered/wheeled car drive it. Driving a modded car is definitely different than driving a stock car, and if you don't have that experience you can seriously mess someone else's car up.
OMG, AMEN!!!!

Originally Posted by Faymester
funny thing is, i'm not a fan of other people driving my car ever, but for some reason my car gets drivin by other people more often than the other cars in my group of friends
Its cuz you got the dank Lex. I have the same problem.

Originally Posted by rominl
it's not about money, it's about respect imho. just me, no one needs to agree with me
Ding, Ding, Ding. We have our winner here.

I only let people, save family and close friends, drive the Lex when I'm drunk. Other than that, I like driving my own car that I paid for and modded, thank you very much. Its soo funny when my girl drives me car. She gets SOOO NERVOUS just shaking and all paranoid. Its a sight to see. lol
Old 07-10-08, 05:59 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

OMDB Over My Dead Body
I drive it 95% and my son 5%
I have a 2006 RX400h (Fully Loaded) he has a 2006 GS300 AWD

A close friend handed me the keys to his Corvette and said "Take it for a ride see what a real car is"
I politely refused "What if some moron ___ ____ _____ !!!"
Fill in the blanks how you please.

Last edited by herbvdh; 07-10-08 at 06:02 PM.
Old 07-10-08, 06:49 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by herbvdh

OMDB Over My Dead Body
I drive it 95% and my son 5%
I have a 2006 RX400h (Fully Loaded) he has a 2006 GS300 AWD

A close friend handed me the keys to his Corvette and said "Take it for a ride see what a real car is"
I politely refused "What if some moron ___ ____ _____ !!!"
Fill in the blanks how you please.
As long as you have permission or give permission to drive the car the other driver is covered under the car owners insurance. Good friends don't let little issues like a wrecked car or damaged car ruin their friendship. When I was younger, I and a minor fender bender while driving my friends car. I simple paid for the repairs. That same friend later bent one of my 3 piece rims while driving my car. He simply paid for the repair. No big deal. Its just material things that can be replaced.

I'd like to think I take great pride in my cars and take care of them well. I used to enter car shows, love fixing them up, keep them clean and maintained. There is one thing a good mechanic said to me once. Never fall in love with a car. Ever since I took that to heart I noticed I enjoy my cars a lot more as I no longer stress over the small stuff anymore. Ironically, I've noticed less damage happening to my cars as well.
Old 07-10-08, 07:04 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

My RX300 takes some getting used to with its modifications and the power. In fact only my father and I are the ones that can really drive it.
Old 07-11-08, 08:20 AM
nlkccom
Driver School Candidate

Get outta my car, b*tch!
Old 07-11-08, 08:47 AM
aznxenon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

only when I'm drunk is when they touch my car haha
Old 07-17-08, 10:55 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I let them drive my car if they let me drive their cars. especially if their cars are nicer than my 3gs. I always let my brother drive, but my mom and dad are afraid they will damage the car some how bec its so fancy.lol
Old 07-18-08, 12:07 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Do you care if a buddy sleeps with your wife?
Old 07-18-08, 09:02 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GSteg
As long as they dont crash it, I dont really care who drives it. It's just a car to me and it's replaceable. If they break it, they buy it..simple as that. I'm not going to lose sleep because someone else drove my car
More people need to be laid back like GSteg is. He let me drive his car the first time I met him.
Old 07-18-08, 09:44 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I let one of my lady friends (she had no license yet) drive my brand new car (had its for only about 2 months and had only about 1800 miles on it)... Lets just say after all the bad stuff that almost happened I am many times more careful in who I let drive...
Old 07-19-08, 02:01 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

family, and my dads really close friends who have better cars can drive ours, mostly doctors who they themselvs need the lx to carry something around, haha, besides i highly doubt that if someone wanted to borrow a car, they would get any of ours. And knowing my friends, there is only about 5 i would let drive my car, mostly because they themselves are obsessed with car care as me, or because they drive slower then my grandmother