Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

TOYOTA Employee... Works Himself To Death!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-08, 02:21 PM
dw8787
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to say that American cars are light years ahead in quality compared to years ago. The reason Ford stock, like all other auto companies are down is because of the high gas/everything prices. There aren't too many people buying cars these days. I mean this is even right off Club Lexus Home page "The Toyota Division posted June sales of 172,981, down 10.3 percent from last June. The Lexus Division reported June sales of 20,253 units, a decrease of 21.1 percent from the year-ago month." I like my Lexus but I have to admit I get tired of seeing American car bashing on here. It seems that problems that occur on Non-American cars are excused, but quickly pointed out on American cars. Sure there are a lot of American made models that aren't the best in quality, but you can say the same for a lot of Non-American models as well. If I'm not mistaken Ford has several models in Consumer Reports Top 10. I'm sure I'll hear a mouth full from some of you but it just gets old hearing that non-stop. I have a friend that has a CRV that has been in the shop for several issues, but if you ask him he tell you how much better his car is then an American model. It is all what you like. What you like affects what you will tolerate. So if you haven't owned an American car in the past several years, you might want to check one out.
Old 07-09-08, 02:34 PM
silvervett
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
That was 80 hours of overtime in a month, not a week. Still, if he worked 7 days a week, that's only 2.6 hours of overtime a day, and he died from that? Give me a break! It was a foolish ruling if you ask me. He had other complications.
Thank you for correcting that, and you are correct 80 hours isn't all that bad for a month or two. I have put in 20 hours O/T in one 5 day week but I couldn't do that for any length of time
Old 07-09-08, 02:48 PM
Copper_Hed
Rookie

I had a brand new Ford, Dodge, and Chevy.....
That's why I now own a Lexus, Toyota, and Isuzu!!!!
Old 07-09-08, 05:33 PM
dl11
Driver

He died from ischemic heart disease. This is caused by narrow heart arteries which ends up producing less blood flow to the heart. Toyota won't be at fault for "working him to death".
Old 07-09-08, 05:47 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

This thread is missing a link to the story out there that some engineer literally died from overwork at Toyota....
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080709/...Sg9uDXdHcDW7oF
Old 07-09-08, 05:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

And, here in America, we gripe if we don't get a two hour lunch and then get to leave an hour early to beat the afternoon rush.

Yes, a real shame that overwork cost this man his life. However, part of that is simply Japanese culture. Work, in Japan, is considered an honor. Few things are more frowned upon than what is perceived as "laziness". Employees, at night, after the formal working day, sometimes meet in each other's homes before they go to bed to discuss common ways of improving the results of their work.......that, of course, is virtually unheard of here.

This work-as-a-priviledge attitude, in Japan, is one of the key factors (among others) why, for decades, Japanese-designed and built cars have ranked among the world's best in quality, although many of the same Japanese-designed cars built in American plants have also acheived excellent quality. Those American plants, however, are run by Japanese managers, not American, and the employees are generally not UAW members.
Old 07-09-08, 05:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dl11
He died from ischemic heart disease. This is caused by narrow heart arteries which ends up producing less blood flow to the heart. Toyota won't be at fault for "working him to death".
Overwork and stress can indeed cause heart and cardiovascular problems, But I agree that Toyota may not be directly at fault. See my post above.....workaholism is simply part of inbred Japanese culture, like eating sushi or drinking sake..
Old 07-09-08, 06:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
And, here in America, we gripe if we don't get a two hour lunch and then get to leave an hour early to beat the afternoon rush.

Yes, a real shame that overwork cost this man his life. However, part of that is simply Japanese culture. Work, in Japan, is considered an honor. Few things are more frowned upon than what is perceived as "laziness". Employees, at night, after the formal working day, sometimes meet in each other's homes before they go to bed to discuss common ways of improving the results of their work.......that, of course, is virtually unheard of here.

This work-as-a-priviledge attitude, in Japan, is one of the key factors (among others) why, for decades, Japanese-designed and built cars have ranked among the world's best in quality, although many of the same Japanese-designed cars built in American plants have also acheived excellent quality. Those American plants, however, are run by Japanese managers, not American, and the employees are generally not UAW members.
lol i don't know, you talking about government agencies? the companies i have worked for, most people are working their asses off. on my job, overtime 10 hours a week is pretty standard.

now of course, i am not putting this case down, it's a tragic death for sure, and work stress has something to do with it too. i am just surprised that 2 months of 20 hrs OT a week lead to the death. i think there are probably more to it before that
Old 07-09-08, 07:28 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

overworking is a big enough problem in japan where they govt had to pass laws making it illegal to work over a certain amount of hours. 60 hour weeks there are common
Old 07-09-08, 10:22 PM
r00kie
Lexus Test Driver

Seems like what probably killed him was the constant stress.
Old 07-09-08, 10:29 PM
hass
Lexus Champion

The pressure from his boss is what killed him.
Old 07-10-08, 12:59 AM
TRDRAV4
Advanced

i know that a vast majority of Japanese men do smoke. Wonder if he did, and if so, would it have factored into his death.
Old 07-10-08, 02:17 AM
drink300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
lol i don't know, you talking about government agencies? the companies i have worked for, most people are working their asses off. on my job, overtime 10 hours a week is pretty standard.

now of course, i am not putting this case down, it's a tragic death for sure, and work stress has something to do with it too. i am just surprised that 2 months of 20 hrs OT a week lead to the death. i think there are probably more to it before that
Rominl, your family should sue CL if you die, 'cause I see you have been putting in serious overtime at CL for the past 6 years. An average of 24 posts per day!?!?
Old 07-10-08, 10:23 AM
RA40
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 473 Likes on 363 Posts

As a salaried worker, it is expected and overtime pay...har-har. It is your duty to fulfill the needs of the company. You may get some compensation but theirs is set-up differently than what it is in the states. Company loyalty is changing too. They will kick your butt out at manners deemed outside the company philosophy. The alternate is they make life difficult in the work place...mostly like doing low level tasks which would be shameful to your previous duties. (Keep in mind pride and your perceived visible stature within the work place. This is very important in tradition.)

We have a relative who works for a city gov and his usual work day is 15 hours 6 days a week, sometimes 7. They do not have the same mandatory breaks we have here so they work him near constantly. He has come home at 1-2 AM and then is back at work by 5 during project phases. Not all work is like that. If you are an important part of the team or at supervisor level, life is much different than the grunts. It varies, though there is far too much over-working of certain employees.

We like the Japanese product, the philosophy behind some are demanding to get it at the level we associate it. Unfortunately to be a leader in a market, you have to strive hard and in this instance, this individual's body gave out.
Old 07-10-08, 10:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
In some cases, yes. But my particular job, though, at the FAA, and that of many of my co-workers, was very stressful.....one reason why I got out at minimum retirement age (55).

But among government agencies and private firms alike, there are both stressful positions and do-nothing positions where you just sit around and yak all day.

Quick Reply: TOYOTA Employee... Works Himself To Death!