Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

TOYOTA Employee... Works Himself To Death!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-08, 10:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by drink300
Rominl, your family should sue CL if you die, 'cause I see you have been putting in serious overtime at CL for the past 6 years. An average of 24 posts per day!?!?
Maybe so, drink, but I wouldn't criticize Henry's involvement in CL. He contributes a lot to this forum, both as a general poster and a moderator.
Old 07-10-08, 04:41 PM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by silvervett
If a normal work week is 40 hours annd he worked 80 in over time that come out to 120, that only give him 48 hours sleep a week, 6.86 hours sleep a day, assuming he eats while he works
HOLY CRAP!!!

I need to watch my wife vary carefully too then...

She is a software programmer and I noticed that she averaged only 4~5 hours sleep a day...

My wife needs to slow down or just quit her job then either stay home and relax or come work for me instead!!!

Last edited by slk_dds; 07-10-08 at 04:50 PM.
Old 07-10-08, 05:27 PM
tonyc9928
Driver

The only thing certain in life is Death.

He could have taken a brake if he wanted. Or quit and taken a job as a gardener or something.

Still tragic. But self induced.
Old 07-10-08, 06:18 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Maybe so, drink, but I wouldn't criticize Henry's involvement in CL. He contributes a lot to this forum, both as a general poster and a moderator.
Henry drinks?

Old 07-10-08, 07:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by doug_999
Henry drinks?

I was replying to a post by drink300, a CL member. I sometimes cut the nicknames a little short in my replies....that's just my posting style. Had nothing to do with actual drinking.
Old 07-11-08, 12:10 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

And, here in America, we gripe if we don't get a two hour lunch and then get to leave an hour early to beat the afternoon rush.
We don't even get 1 minute of lunch break. We have to work while on the job. We do only work a standard 8 hour day though. Anything over 8 hours is overtime.

I do have to say, the last two years I used to work about 10-12 hours a day. I used to get about 6 hours of sleep. I thought I was just fine. Sometimes I yawn at work and feel tired, but nothing out of the ordinary. The last 2 months or so I've I've been averaging much closer to 40 hours a week and I feel much better. When you are used to working the long hours, you really don't realize how much it is affecting your health until you stop working the long hours. I thought I felt normal until I stopped working all that overtime so often.
Old 07-11-08, 05:50 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

I was replying to a post by drink300, a CL member. I sometimes cut the nicknames a little short in my replies....that's just my posting style. Had nothing to do with actual drinking.
Yea, I know - just trying to take the thread more off track
Old 07-11-08, 05:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
We don't even get 1 minute of lunch break. We have to work while on the job. We do only work a standard 8 hour day though. Anything over 8 hours is overtime.

I do have to say, the last two years I used to work about 10-12 hours a day. I used to get about 6 hours of sleep. I thought I was just fine. Sometimes I yawn at work and feel tired, but nothing out of the ordinary. The last 2 months or so I've I've been averaging much closer to 40 hours a week and I feel much better. When you are used to working the long hours, you really don't realize how much it is affecting your health until you stop working the long hours. I thought I felt normal until I stopped working all that overtime so often.
Yes.......with the exception of my sore "computer" elbow, when I retired last year my health and stress level took a dramatic turn for the better.

I'm sure you were (and are) a hard worker, CK. This forum is generally not supported by a bunch of flunkees or goof-offs. However, my comments about 2-hour lunches and early dismissals are not unfounded. I've seen more than my share of people griping about lax working conditions.
Old 07-16-08, 02:32 PM
lfeharri
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is just the culture in Japan.. they tend to work really hard because everyone does, which causes almost everybody competition. I work here in Southern California, but I've gone to Japan plenty of times to know how their culture is.. and let me tell you, it is very very different than it is in the states. When I go work over there (only for periods of 2-3 weeks), I probably put in at least 60-70 hours a week, whereas when I come back, I put in my 8-9 and go home. Also, going to Toshiba, Sony, Panasonic, and even Toyota, I can say that I am impressed. Everybody lives by a certain rule and/or criteria, whereas in the states, people tend to leave right when the bell rings. In Japan, if the bell rings and your job isn't finished.. you better finish your job before you leave.. why? because everyone else is, and you'd be critisize for not doing so.. As for the Toyota employee, my condolences to him.
Old 07-16-08, 05:12 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think I have put in less then 80 hours a week for the last 4 years, and going by that calculation I am doing 160 hours a month overtime. I think I have had two days off in row ,twice in that time.

Now thats out of the way, what a load of crap decision. People smoke like chimneys over here and if he died ischemic heart disease, that was probably the biggest factor.

Originally Posted by lfeharri
.... Everybody lives by a certain rule and/or criteria, whereas in the states, people tend to leave right when the bell rings. In Japan, if the bell rings and your job isn't finished.. you better finish your job before you leave.. why? because everyone else is, and you'd be critisize for not doing so.. As for the Toyota employee, my condolences to him.
Thats b/c if your ability to get things done is lacking you should stay behind and finnish your given work.
Old 07-16-08, 06:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
I don't think I have put in less then 80 hours a week for the last 4 years, and going by that calculation I am doing 160 hours a month overtime. I think I have had two days off in row ,twice in that time.
Have you considered looking for another job, or, if you are old enough, just retiring?

Now thats out of the way, what a load of crap decision. People smoke like chimneys over here and if he died ischemic heart disease, that was probably the biggest factor.
A good point. Tobacco, in general, is not heart-friendly.
Old 07-16-08, 09:19 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Have you considered looking for another job, or, if you are old enough, just retiring?

A good point. Tobacco, in general, is not heart-friendly.
I am not in a position to look for another job. I am chairman of the company that I am running, which BTW is extremly stressfull. (I am 32 BTW.)

I am amazed at the amount of people who smoke here. There is also not many laws yet that protect non-smokers, but the laws are slowly catching up to the rest of the world which is good. BTW I don't smoke, but love a few beers when I get home every now and again.
Old 07-16-08, 09:22 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
The last 2 months or so I've I've been averaging much closer to 40 hours a week and I feel much better. When you are used to working the long hours, you really don't realize how much it is affecting your health until you stop working the long hours. I thought I felt normal until I stopped working all that overtime so often.
I would say my mental health and stress levels would go down a bit, if I were to work a bit less.
Old 07-16-08, 11:03 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I took alot of japanese culture and civilization classes at UCLA when I was there for undergrad and found surprisingly that this kind of death from work is not insanely uncommon. People in japan also have a stronger relationship with fellow workers than family members. In japan your job becomes your life. IMO thats why japanese cars are better designed, and built than the crap stuff that GM turns out. People work for pride, and honor in the japanese auto industry. Kind of like the american car companies back in the day . Today the people at GM work to get health Insurance and to eat. Not alot of pride involved anymore imo.