Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What car to get for $60K? Need advice!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-08, 07:23 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
..... but I hope it helps him make a more informed decision about which car he will want....the thread topic
EXACTLY what I wanted out of this thread. Couldn't be more appreciative all....
Old 07-14-08, 09:21 AM
suislide
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

evo 10 or 9 cuz its awd , robust 4 cyl turbo, strong after market support, has more ***** than anything on that list.
Old 07-14-08, 10:10 AM
SilverBull
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would like to know where you can get a Audi S5 for 60k. Show me the lot and I will go buy the car. Unless the demand has dropped a lot over the past few months they were limited production and hard to get ahold of.
Old 07-14-08, 10:25 AM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

s5 are waaay overrated.
Old 07-14-08, 11:15 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Just not an Inifiniti fan, but like the idea with Sonata as winter car. However, going to wait on new A4 Quattro, save the extra $20K as mentioned above and take a couple NICE vacations with the Missus... if I wind up with A4.

The new TL pic is out.... car looks like it's got a goofy grin... absolutely sad, they've got some bad 'shrooms over at Acura...
I don't think that anyone should ever judge a car by a picture - see it in person before you decide. Also, often a look grows on you - take the Audi grill - most people hated it when it debuted, alas, now I rarely hear negative comments about it. Same sort of thing with the edgy styling of Caddys - scary at first and now accepted.

The new A4 is going to be a wonderful car. Alas, I really don't think that buying a first year German car is the best idea in the world - even though I'm trying to convince my brother to get the new A4 Avant
Old 07-14-08, 12:06 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

i vote for the Cadillac CTS DI
304hp / 273ft.lbs

the AWD model gets the following gas mileage
city: 19 hwy: 29 combined: 28

but of course thats EPA rating
if u want to drive it hard, ull be getting something like what edmunds is getting
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=125068

heres what edmunds paid for theirs
The sticker for our loaded CTS reads $46,690, but Cadillac wasn't content letting us pay sticker. Martin Automotive Group in Los Angeles dropped $3,000 from the bottom line immediately. Then the sales representative asked if we would qualify for a Luxury Conquest rebate. Well, we'd recently bought a long-term 2008 Mercedes C300, so yes, we did. Sort of. It was good enough for them. That was another $1,500 off.

When all was said and done, we paid $42,272 including tax — $4,418 below the pre-tax, pre-paperwork MSRP.

Last edited by UberNoob; 07-14-08 at 02:43 PM.
Old 07-14-08, 01:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
Also, often a look grows on you - take the Audi grill -
That's exactly the problem.....it GREW too damn much.

OLD:

NEW:

Old 07-15-08, 07:34 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

I was thinking the same thing. I'd buy a M35 before a M45 any day of the week. But we have to assume that he has his reasons for not listing it.
After reviewing all the posts and keeping an open mind (plus multiple forum research) I am considering G35X and M35X in addition to GS350AWD. Although beautiful looking, I am also concerned as to new A4 reliability. There are an Infiniti, Lexus, BMW and Audi dealership all in a couple of miles of each other so I wil be visiting.

Thx again all, appreciate the input!!!
Old 07-15-08, 09:39 AM
butterbeer
Pole Position

The TL is very very reliable, the Audi S5 is just plain sexy, that's just my opinion though.
Old 07-15-08, 09:47 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
After reviewing all the posts and keeping an open mind (plus multiple forum research) I am considering G35X and M35X in addition to GS350AWD. Although beautiful looking, I am also concerned as to new A4 reliability. There are an Infiniti, Lexus, BMW and Audi dealership all in a couple of miles of each other so I wil be visiting.

Thx again all, appreciate the input!!!
With the Infiniti's you will get MPG similar to a SUV. The G35x is similar in size to the GS but priced like an IS/ES. The M35x is priced like the GS but larger and IMO has aged pretty . You can get crazy lease deals on both that Lexus simply cannot match.

That being said, both are viable alternatives.

Old 07-15-08, 10:39 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

I was thinking the same thing. I'd buy a M35 before a M45 any day of the week. But we have to assume that he has his reasons for not listing it.
Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
With the Infiniti's you will get MPG similar to a SUV. The G35x is similar in size to the GS but priced like an IS/ES. The M35x is priced like the GS but larger and IMO has aged pretty . You can get crazy lease deals on both that Lexus simply cannot match.

That being said, both are viable alternatives.
+1 on all points..... I'll bet there will be crazy deals on TLs once the 09s arrive....
Old 07-15-08, 10:48 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Default 60k

Audi TT or Infiniti G35X, I don't think those other cars would be near as much fun as those two. The G35 VQ engine is heavenly.
Old 07-15-08, 11:04 AM
MythBuster
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you like driving nothing comes even close to the BMW 5 series
Old 07-15-08, 11:14 AM
SilverBull
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why would anyone bring up a Audi TT in here? That is not even practical given his criteria for a car.

Whoever put the Caddy on here needs to drive one. I was far from impressed with that car.
Old 07-15-08, 01:50 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SilverBull
Why would anyone bring up a Audi TT in here? That is not even practical given his criteria for a car.

Whoever put the Caddy on here needs to drive one. I was far from impressed with that car.
+1.....

So here I believe is, officially... the final cut (crossed fingers) to be tested in the next few weeks:
Lexus GS350AWD
BMW 535xi
Infiniti M35x
Acura TL-S

Off list
2009 A4- just too many "gray" areas on new German sedan and lots of Audi forums posting similar concerns

Again, if the IS350 came AWD there wouldn't even be a thread on this... will keep all informed as it goes...

Last edited by rdgdawg; 07-15-08 at 02:00 PM.

Quick Reply: What car to get for $60K? Need advice!!!