Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW's facelifted 3 Series will premiere in Paris

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-08, 05:33 PM
rg_gibson
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by knihc2008
WAY too many lines in the front and rear bumpers. The headlamps are way cool, the taillamps are kinda weirdly shaped.
I thought the same until I saw this pic

Old 07-10-08, 08:20 PM
KINGLEX
Driver

June Sales

IS 4,324
3 Series 9,581

No Lexus vehicle even comes close to that number.

For the price no other car is as complete.
Old 07-10-08, 08:50 PM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

I'm still not fond of the rear, especially the tail lights. The coupe's rear looks so much better.
Old 07-10-08, 08:54 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also think it's better than the current sedan, but not spectacular.
Old 07-10-08, 09:00 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rg_gibson
I thought the same until I saw this pic
Wait I don't get it

I still think there are too many lines in the front haha

The only thing about my opinion that has changed is that the headlamps make the car look eternally sleepy... which is not so cool. Is that what you meant?
Old 07-10-08, 09:19 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KINGLEX
Sound like a frustrated lexus owner. I am not in love with the looks of the e90, but i think the IS looks even worse. I think the best looking car in the current lexus line up is the es, which is a sad state of affairs for a more refined camry.
IS looks much better than 3 sedan in my opinion, much better.
Old 07-10-08, 09:23 PM
LexFather

June Sales

IS 4,324
3 Series 9,581

While subjective the IS IMO has much better style and balance than the 3. You also forget to mention
-3 series come in 100,000 variants
........coupe, sedan, m3, convertible, awd sedan, awd coupe, wagon
-3 series lease deals on par with buying a Kia

NO CAR comes close the the 3 series sales numbers. No one.

Old 07-10-08, 09:24 PM
LexFather

As for the touch up the only thing I like is the tails, they are finally getting back to their classic tails that kick up at the ends.

Otherwise, interior still worst in class, exterior got even busier, front end is pretty sad.

335d is going to be fantastic, reviews in Europe claim its the best diesel around.

Old 07-10-08, 09:29 PM
hapaboy
Lexus Champion

the rear looks like ruffled panties.
Old 07-10-08, 09:31 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

June Sales

IS 4,324
3 Series 9,581

Lexus RX's sales number is not that far behind from 3-series, considering RX has only one body style and two engine choices when 3-series has four body styles and three engine choices. Also, ES and IS both represent Lexus's entry level luxury sedan, one for mainly comfort when the other one for mainly sportiness, and their combined sales number could outsell the whole 3-series lineup. Lexus and BMW are taking different route to reach their sales target. If you have to use 3-series to go one on one against IS, then I have to say BMW has absolutely nothing to go against ES350. All in all, simply using sales figures to tell which car is better is simply stating Toyota Camry is the best car in the U.S. 3-series is more popular, neither the best, nor the most "complete".

Last edited by TwiBlueG35; 07-10-08 at 09:35 PM.
Old 07-10-08, 09:51 PM
LexFather

Exclamation

Originally Posted by texan629
You mean like how lexus owner's like to brag how lexus is the number selling luxury car in america ?
You mean how like BMW owners like the brag how BMW is the best selling luxury brand in the world?

I am not making this a 3 series sucks thing nor a BMW vs Lexus thing. We all know its STILL the standard in this class. Some say add the ES+IS sales since they cost around the same? I really don't care.

I also don't care that BMW has 200 versions of the 3 series. If anything OTHER CAR MAKERS SHOULD FOLLOW SUIT.

However, guys with flame surfacing underwear always forget FACTS and just brag on numbers and don't look deeper. Like HOW do they achieve such a stellar result.

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
Lexus RX's sales number is not that far behind from 3-series, considering RX has only one body style and two engine choices when 3-series has four body styles and three engine choices. Also, ES and IS both represent Lexus's entry level luxury sedan, one for mainly comfort when the other one for mainly sportiness, and their combined sales number could outsell the whole 3-series lineup. Lexus and BMW are taking different route to reach their sales target. If you have to use 3-series to go one on one against IS, then I have to say BMW has absolutely nothing to go against ES350. All in all, simply using sales figures to tell which car is better is simply stating Toyota Camry is the best car in the U.S. 3-series is more popular, neither the best, nor the most "complete".
Good points.

As for the RX, yes the RX sells over 100k a year with only 3 versions, FWD, AWD and Hybrid. Its quite amazing Lexus sells so many.

Old 07-10-08, 10:19 PM
KINGLEX
Driver

I wonder how many of the people commenting on the 3 series, have actually driven the current model. The 2 cars aren't even close. Germans and the Japanese have two different philosophies on building cars. Look at Lexus and especially Acura, they only give you a few options within a line. Again the 3 series is the benchmark, with each launch of a new generation the competition remains once generation behind. If I want a less expensive more reliable car, then I would go to Lexus, but for pure pleasure it's BMW all day. This isn't BMW Vs. Lexus, this is pure fact. I don't think that i've ever seen a comparo where the is beat out the 3.
Old 07-10-08, 10:36 PM
LexFather

I wonder how many of the people commenting on the 3 series, have actually driven the current model. The 2 cars aren't even close. Germans and the Japanese have two different philosophies on building cars. Look at Lexus and especially Acura, they only give you a few options within a line. Again the 3 series is the benchmark, with each launch of a new generation the competition remains once generation behind. If I want a less expensive more reliable car, then I would go to Lexus, but for pure pleasure it's BMW all day. This isn't BMW Vs. Lexus, this is pure fact. I don't think that i've ever seen a comparo where the is beat out the 3.
fwiw, IS 300 beat the 328 in Road and Track....
The competition is not a gen behind, BMW is just the benchmark. In other words, people buy them irregardless.

I have driven them, they are fantastic to drive.

Old 07-11-08, 08:10 AM
Koma

Looks a ton better. The coupe has always looked fantastic but the sedan was always.... meh. The front bumper is a little over done but I could live with it.
Old 07-11-08, 08:56 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm in the minority.

I don't prefer the redesign, particularly the choppy taillights and modified bumper. I'll stick with the pre-'09s...

Quick Reply: BMW's facelifted 3 Series will premiere in Paris