Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW's facelifted 3 Series will premiere in Paris

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-08, 08:59 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 738 Likes on 509 Posts

The gap between the IS, 3, A4, and C is smaller than many people would like to think...
Old 07-11-08, 09:18 AM
SilverBull
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The sedan is so-so for the 335. I love my coupe though. I thought my IS350 was pretty cool. I loved the interior of the IS350. That was the best part of it. The coupe styling is what sells the car the most I think. I would have bought a S5 if it was even close in costs but it wasn't at all.
Old 07-11-08, 09:18 AM
KINGLEX
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
fwiw, IS 300 beat the 328 in Road and Track....
The competition is not a gen behind, BMW is just the benchmark. In other words, people buy them irregardless.

I have driven them, they are fantastic to drive.
What year?
Old 07-11-08, 11:01 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I'm in the minority.

I don't prefer the redesign, particularly the choppy taillights and modified bumper. I'll stick with the pre-'09s...
Phil,

In other words... great minds think alike!

Old 07-11-08, 11:06 AM
rg_gibson
Driver

Originally Posted by Allen K
The gap between the IS, 3, A4, and C is smaller than many people would like to think...
I have to disagree man. When my lease was up on the IS I test drove all four for the 08 model year and I have to say they are all very different. Each represents its badge in a different way but nothing feels like the 3 series that's affordable so when this lease is up on my 08 335i I'll be getting an 09
Old 07-11-08, 11:12 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rg_gibson
I have to disagree man.
You can disagree all you like but it is kind of hard to argue with facts:

The X Package improvements also translate to the track, as our slalom test confirms. Although it's down over 100 hp on the IS 350, the IS 250 is nearly 4 mph faster through the cones with a 70.4-mph result. This is blazing speed, and it puts the IS 250 ahead of the BMW 335i, not to mention about a half dozen very capable sports cars.

The rear-wheel-drive IS 250's overall grip on the skid pad is a fraction less than that of the rear-wheel-drive IS 350, as the IS 250 manages 0.84g versus the 0.87g we recorded for an IS 350 with 18-inch wheels and tires. The two cars are also about the same in braking performance, with the IS 250 posting the shortest stop from 60 mph at 113 feet.

And we discovered that the extra margin of driver command afforded by disabling the IS 250's stability control system doesn't translate into performance you can measure, as Lexus already has the electronics dialed in quite precisely. But we still appreciate the choice.

Source: Follow-Up Test: 2007 Lexus IS 250 - Lexus Goes to School in the Manual Arts
Old 07-11-08, 11:27 AM
KINGLEX
Driver

Originally Posted by ffpower
You can disagree all you like but it is kind of hard to argue with facts:

The X Package improvements also translate to the track, as our slalom test confirms. Although it's down over 100 hp on the IS 350, the IS 250 is nearly 4 mph faster through the cones with a 70.4-mph result. This is blazing speed, and it puts the IS 250 ahead of the BMW 335i, not to mention about a half dozen very capable sports cars.

The rear-wheel-drive IS 250's overall grip on the skid pad is a fraction less than that of the rear-wheel-drive IS 350, as the IS 250 manages 0.84g versus the 0.87g we recorded for an IS 350 with 18-inch wheels and tires. The two cars are also about the same in braking performance, with the IS 250 posting the shortest stop from 60 mph at 113 feet.

And we discovered that the extra margin of driver command afforded by disabling the IS 250's stability control system doesn't translate into performance you can measure, as Lexus already has the electronics dialed in quite precisely. But we still appreciate the choice.

Source: Follow-Up Test: 2007 Lexus IS 250 - Lexus Goes to School in the Manual Arts
Anybody that has ever driven a BMW know that it's not just about the numbers. Case in point is the E30 M3. It is just a ridiculous car, but if you compare it on paper to what's out there now, it doesn't look so great. I would take that car over anything offered in its class now.
Old 07-11-08, 11:38 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KINGLEX
Anybody that has ever driven a BMW know that it's not just about the numbers.
I love how when a BMW doesn't win on paper then it's "not just about the numbers". I remember back when it was E90 330i vs. IS350 the argument was always "it's not just about the speed"...

What happened to that argument when it becomes 335i vs. IS350?

To say "it's really not just about the numbers" is like when you got beat in a basketball game and said "it's really not just about the win or loss, it's about how I did my crossovers better than you"...

Last edited by ffpowerLN; 07-11-08 at 11:42 AM.
Old 07-11-08, 11:49 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i like the wood. looks like the back of an old violin.

it must be fake wood though.
Old 07-11-08, 11:54 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Originally Posted by rg_gibson
I have to disagree man. When my lease was up on the IS I test drove all four for the 08 model year and I have to say they are all very different. Each represents its badge in a different way but nothing feels like the 3 series that's affordable so when this lease is up on my 08 335i I'll be getting an 09
True they all have their specialties, but IMO none of them blow each other out of the water. I like the interior of the IS and the power. Would I like better road feel? Not really because I don't drive like I'm at a racetrack the entire time. I do like the handling of the 3 over a non-sport IS (only testdrove ones without the sport pkg) but I just don't like the interior. The new C wasn't out when I was shopping and while I liked the A4's looks inside and out, I wasn't a fan of the engine choices (at least without going to the S/RS region).

Would I have been happy in any of these cars? Yes I would have, and I am
Old 07-11-08, 11:55 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Getting back on topic, I'm just not feeling this generation of the 3 series. I absolutely loved the last gen though
Old 07-11-08, 12:10 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

back end is better but still reminds me of a 90's maxima.

Old 07-11-08, 12:12 PM
KINGLEX
Driver

I love how when a BMW doesn't win on paper then it's "not just about the numbers". I remember back when it was E90 330i vs. IS350 the argument was always "it's not just about the speed"...

What happened to that argument when it becomes 335i vs. IS350?

To say "it's really not just about the numbers" is like when you got beat in a basketball game and said "it's really not just about the win or loss, it's about how I did my crossovers better than you"...
Nah Dude! You don't get it. The 335i probably does win on paper but I never bothered to check, because it isn't the end all be all. The Japanese love numbers and the Germans love passion. It shows in the cars. The last gen g35 had a more powerful engine than a e46 330i, but the g drove like ****. BMW never ever really leads in engine output so if were all about numbers then the 3 series would never be considered tops in its class. I can't believe that we are comparing the is to the 3 series. They aren't even in the same league. The IS is as sporty as my $3k Serta Perfect Night Bed.

FYI someone talked about BMW using fake wood, sorry they don't, however Toyota and Honda do. I hear commercials all of the time from those brands saying wood grain like interior.

-King Lex aka King Bimmer
Old 07-11-08, 12:14 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

continuing with the off topicness..... the point he is trying to make is that a 328 which may or may not have the skidpad numbers of the IS250, will lay waste to it on the track. It sounds like you are making the blanket statement that handling is all about skidpad numbers and that's simply not true.
Old 07-11-08, 12:18 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KINGLEX
The IS is as sporty as my $3k Serta Perfect Night Bed.
This statement alone pretty much settles your reputation as a poster...

Originally Posted by doug_999
It sounds like you are making the blanket statement that handling is all about skidpad numbers and that's simply not true.
You are right, skidpad alone doesn't make or break a car's handling but skidpad + slalom + braking does. I would suggest you to re-read the Edmunds Inside Line article about the IS250 X (hint: the 70.4 mph is slalom, not skidpad).

Last edited by ffpowerLN; 07-11-08 at 12:22 PM.

Quick Reply: BMW's facelifted 3 Series will premiere in Paris