Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW's facelifted 3 Series will premiere in Paris

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-08, 02:24 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BMW's facelifted 3 Series will premiere in Paris

BMW’s 3 Series gets a diesel powertrain and a number of detailed midlife changes in an attempt to increase its visual boldness, provide it with the latest in entertainment and communication technology, improve its environmental credentials and further enhance its reputation as being the most dynamically adept car in the toughly fought junior-luxury-car class.

The new sedan and wagon models, due to go on sale across North America in October following the 3 Series’ world premiere at the Paris motor show, are distinguished from today’s 3 Series by fresh front and rear styling that picks up on the themes established on BMW’s recently unveiled fifth-generation 7 Series. The common styling is seen as proof that the German carmaker has abandoned plans to give each model a distinctive appearance and is instead getting back to a more stylistically harmonized lineup.

Up front, the facelifted 3 Series receives a series of styling changes that BMW design boss Adrian van Hooydonk says are aimed at emphasizing its width, including a heavily profiled bumper, newly contoured hood and reworked headlamps with altered graphics.

Farther back are new exterior mirror housings and changes to the design of the doorsills. At the rear, the BMW design team has provided the 3 Series with altered taillights. The fender taillight sections retain the same shape, but are joined by a newly developed section on the trunk lid of the sedan. At the same time, the taillights have been given redesigned lenses and more striking graphics. Further enhancing the widened look at the rear is reworked bumper and rear track that on upper-end models has been extended by nearly an inch.

BMW has also brought detailed improvements to the interior of the 3 Series, including new trim combinations, a revised armrest for the driver’s door that makes the electric window controls more accessible and an updated iDrive controller that gets four selection buttons in a move aimed at reducing the complexity of its operation. The iDrive controller is also linked to a new high-resolution, 8.8-inch color monitor. Among the long list of options is an 80-gigabyte hard disc used to store satellite navigation software and MP3 music files.

Powertrains include two carryovers: the 328i with a 3.0-liter, 230-hp inline-six and the 335i with a 3.0-liter, twin-turbocharged, 300-hp inline-six.

New to the lineup, arriving in showrooms in November, is the 335d, with a 3.0-liter twin-turbo, 265-hp, inline-six diesel, which uses a urea-injection system to meet U.S. emissions standards. The diesel will be offered only in the sedan.

Transmissions include a standard six-speed manual and an optional six-speed automatic. The diesel comes with the automatic as its only transmission.
Source: http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...872531756/1065
Old 07-10-08, 03:09 PM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i never really liked the rear end of the 3 series but i think it looks better now
Old 07-10-08, 03:09 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Old 07-10-08, 03:13 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

yup definitely better ... and i think it looks like the side sag is gone :tumbup:

i sitll dont really want one but now i cant say 'no its kinda ugly'
Old 07-10-08, 03:16 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Not feeling the new front bumper, not feeling the new tail lamp, also not feeling the new woodtrim...

Since I never like the current 3er sedan's styling (exterior and interior) I like it even less now.

Keep it up BMW, one day you'll become the ugliest luxury brand in the world.
Old 07-10-08, 03:36 PM
jackblack7
Pole Position

Still don't like the rear. The coupe is so much better. The front is looking more feminine to me.
Old 07-10-08, 03:39 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hypnotik
i never really liked the rear end of the 3 series but i think it looks better now
I agree - but I still do not love it. However, as with all of these, I wait to see them in person.
Old 07-10-08, 03:43 PM
KINGLEX
Driver

Originally Posted by ffpower
Not feeling the new front bumper, not feeling the new tail lamp, also not feeling the new woodtrim...

Since I never like the current 3er sedan's styling (exterior and interior) I like it even less now.

Keep it up BMW, one day you'll become the ugliest luxury brand in the world.
Sound like a frustrated lexus owner. I am not in love with the looks of the e90, but i think the IS looks even worse. I think the best looking car in the current lexus line up is the es, which is a sad state of affairs for a more refined camry.
Old 07-10-08, 03:46 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

The rear looks pissed off ( I like it). The front bumper looks confused. Way to many lines and contours on that front bumper (and hood). IMO, went from ugly to mediocre. Still the least attractive in this class to me.
Old 07-10-08, 03:58 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KINGLEX
Sound like a frustrated lexus owner. I am not in love with the looks of the e90, but i think the IS looks even worse. I think the best looking car in the current lexus line up is the es, which is a sad state of affairs for a more refined camry.
Frustrated Lexus owner? What?

Why would I be frustrated since I am driving a better looking car with a better interior and probably better handling (I'll give u less road feel) with the springs and sways than a stock sports 3er?

And the best looking Lexus is the ES?

Okay, let's just stop here and agree to disagree...
Old 07-10-08, 04:05 PM
Yay-Z
Lead Lap

Talking

Woah baby!!!

Its still wack, haha.
Old 07-10-08, 04:07 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Does anyone know the tq # on the 335d? 265hp isn't bad either. Overall the car looks ok but don't like the pattern of the wood trims though. I hope they do have other options.
Old 07-10-08, 04:53 PM
rg_gibson
Driver

Originally Posted by newr
Does anyone know the tq # on the 335d? 265hp isn't bad either. Overall the car looks ok but don't like the pattern of the wood trims though. I hope they do have other options.
The 335d will have 428 lb/ft. of torque and BMW will have three wood choices plus the aluminum trim like always.
Old 07-10-08, 05:08 PM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

I kinda like the current rear but this new one is alot better headlights are also improved but the curve in the front bumper i dont like.
Old 07-10-08, 05:26 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

WAY too many lines in the front and rear bumpers. The headlamps are way cool, the taillamps are kinda weirdly shaped.

Quick Reply: BMW's facelifted 3 Series will premiere in Paris