Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MB SL65 AMG Black Series unveiled (Video Clips added)

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-08, 11:58 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i love the retractable spoiler.

of course, it looks better retracted.

the front lights look pansy.
Old 07-12-08, 11:35 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaydee
sexy...I wished they redesigned the rear though.

redline at 6k=weaksauce
dude
thats not weaksauce
this engine puts out more torque down low than the tires can handle
and more horsepower than most people can handle safely so it definitely is no weaksauce just because it aint a honda
Old 07-12-08, 12:19 PM
Mpunk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by thetopdog
The 5 speed auto is probably the only tranny Mercedes has that can handle this much power and torque.

Besides, who cares how many gears this car has? 5 is more than enough, the more powerful and flexible the engine, the fewer gears you actually need. Adding an extra overdrive gear or two isn't going to make much of a difference, except maybe in highway fuel economy
About the fuel economy, I agree that people in the income brackets that'll buy this car will hardly blink, even if gas hits $7/gal. In fact, I know several millionaires who still driving hulking gas-guzzling SUVs JUST BECAUSE THEY CAN.

IMO, though, it won't matter how much $ you have once gas runs out - because once oil is gone, it's gone. That's why interest in hybrids and high mileage diesels have gone way up, even among the rich. Hell, rumor has it that even Ferrari is considering a hybrid model in the 2010s.

Benz offering a 5-speed over their current 7-speed, wtf? It's simple gear-envy and perception of technological superiority. What would you think if Lexus offered a "killer" 4-speed automatic transmission in all of their models, including the LS460 and LS600hL? Even if it did offer good fuel economy?

Infiniti with their soon-to-be-replaced 5-speed auto has got to be one of the best-driving and most reliable automatics around for the price, esp. with the downshift rev-matching capability. I've personally driven these and compared them to Nissan's CVTs (which suck, btw) and had no qualms about them. Yet every magazine bemoaned Nissan's decision to stick with 5 cogs instead of the 6 offered by everyone else except Honda/Acura. So I understand what you're saying about Benz offering the 5AT instead of the 7AT. But "7" just sounds so much more than "5." lol.
Old 07-12-08, 12:21 PM
Mpunk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Love the interior. Everything else is not really my style. I thought I would like it being an AMG and all, but not this time.
I agree. The body kit looks just way too tacked on. For that kind of money they should've just redid the whole body to begin with. Heck, they could've used carbon fiber composites as a shell like the Carrera GT. And that spoiler is too over the top.
Old 07-12-08, 01:25 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Do they really think there's a market for even 200 of these to be sold in the States? How many SL65's are sold currently? I just don't see that many people with the disposable income to get one of these wanting it over the competition.
Old 07-12-08, 02:08 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mpunk
Infiniti with their soon-to-be-replaced 5-speed auto has got to be one of the best-driving and most reliable automatics around for the price, esp. with the downshift rev-matching capability. I've personally driven these and compared them to Nissan's CVTs (which suck, btw) and had no qualms about them. Yet every magazine bemoaned Nissan's decision to stick with 5 cogs instead of the 6 offered by everyone else except Honda/Acura. So I understand what you're saying about Benz offering the 5AT instead of the 7AT. But "7" just sounds so much more than "5." lol.

the infiniti also got crappier mpg
Old 07-12-08, 04:07 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by dunnojack
the infiniti also got crappier mpg
Mpunk forgets that Benz had their 7 speed auto before BMW and Lexus had theirs

For this car, as explained the 5 speed is built like a tank and can handle the power.

The Infiniti 5 speed has aggresive gearing when mixed with a lot of power and a sporty car (thus you will drive aggresive)=**** poor gas mileage. Their 7 speed is here but MPG is not much better.

Old 07-12-08, 06:06 PM
xioix
Racer

But doesn't the new Benz 7 speed have better response, and paddle shifts just like the IS-F
Old 07-12-08, 06:38 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by xioix
But doesn't the new Benz 7 speed have better response, and paddle shifts just like the IS-F
It can't handle the all of the torque. There's a reason the 7spd wasn't available on the S65 AMG in 2006 even though the 7spd came out in 2004.
Old 07-13-08, 12:33 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

It looks very good and the power is very impressive but it is way overpriced at 320,000 dollars, I would rather have a bunch of other cars in that price range or lower. For 320K it should have its own design, platform, and interior instead of burrowing from a less expensive car and heavily modifying it. The front indent behind the front tire is a little too much though. A 5 speed does not bother me as with that much power and torque you don't need higher multispeed transmissions and you really don't want to be shifting a bunch of times with that kind of power and torque at hand. 5 speed is most likely the only transmission able to realiably handle all its power.
Old 07-13-08, 12:41 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Fender from Lexus IS-F, exhaust from LS460, wing from pep Boys.
Rest of the car is completely insane.

Only those that cannot afford it will consider it overpriced. When you have that much money your not living paycheck to paycheck to afford a 40k car as many here. When you can afford that car you already have a ton of other cars hanging around.
Old 07-13-08, 01:09 PM
Jujharoo
Lead Lap

what a beautiful looking car
Old 07-13-08, 01:54 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Fender from Lexus IS-F, exhaust from LS460, wing from pep Boys.
Rest of the car is completely insane.

Only those that cannot afford it will consider it overpriced. When you have that much money your not living paycheck to paycheck to afford a 40k car as many here. When you can afford that car you already have a ton of other cars hanging around.
Not really, I don't care how much money I have even if I win the lottery for millions of dollars I will never waste it on things I think are overpriced or give it to other people or companies because they are greedy and charge too much. I see everything from a certain standpoint of what I think it is really worth especially compared to things similar to it and what I really think it should cost and what I am comfortable paying for it. Just like when I get in my GS430, I don't think it is really a 50K car or worth paying 50K or over new but do think it is worth paying in the 20's used which is why I did. I would not pay over 40K for it new. I don't think most cars priced 50K or over are really worth that much but some closer then others. I love Porsche 911's and want to own one someday but I would never pay 80k or 90K for a new one because they are way overpriced and are simply not worth that kind of money to me when I look at the car and compare its specs, you are paying a ton of money for the name and I am not into overpaying much for a name no matter how much money I have.

I simply don't see a 300+K car here although I do think it is very nice and admire it, that would not change regardless if I had little or millions in the bank and I would not overpay for it just because I had the means to do so. Many with that kind of money to buy something that expensive have no problem overpaying for everything and often times they do it so much they end up losing all that they had because they were not smart with their money and wasted too much buying overpriced things when they should have thought a little more if the stuff was really worth what they are paying. There are also many with alot of money that still refuse to overpay for things that they can afford, look at the Maybach and Merc SLR, 2 great cars that are way overpriced and people even with the means to buy them did not because they did not feel they were worth the price and were so overpriced. There are alot of less expensive cars available that I think are nicer then that 300K Merc and that is one of the reasons I think it seems so overpriced, if it was priced around 140K even though I still can't afford it I would not criticize it based on price because it does not seem so overpriced at that price point and for the performance even though very expensive and I could not afford it, it seems more appropriate.
Old 07-13-08, 02:31 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow price increase is huge!... basically double.... I didn't think much of the older models which one of my friend's had...
Old 07-13-08, 03:52 PM
LexFather

FYI the average buyer buys this for the hell of it, not b/c of merits or it will beat this and that. THey like it, they buy it.

Its like buying a t-shirt to them.

Quick Reply: MB SL65 AMG Black Series unveiled (Video Clips added)