Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

IL Insider: Next-Generation Lexus SC?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-08, 07:58 AM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I can promise you that this article is illegitimate.

You guys freak out over the slightest bit of speculation!
First, I hope you're right, and the article is illegitimate.

Second, no one is freaking out, we're just saying "if" this were true, it would be a shame, that's all. Would it be the end of the earth, not for me, and not for anyone else.
Old 07-12-08, 08:50 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I can promise you that this article is illegitimate for two reasons:

1) SC and LF-A would have never shared a chassis. One is a luxury coupe the other is a dedicated, light weight, ***** to the wall performance sports car with carbon fiber and the whole deal.

The next SC, which is coming in 2011 as a 2012, will carry on the tradition of being a GS based midsize coupe/convertible with all the latest luxury amenities.

2) The Avalon IS a long wheelbase Camry. They aren't going to drop "Avalon" to come up with "Camry L" because that's already what the car is.

You guys freak out over the slightest bit of speculation!
Agreed 100%. The part about the SC supposedly sharing a platform with the LF-A is absolutely ridiculous.

IL has begun to earn a reputation for coming up with illegitimate rumors and speculation.

Toyota *might* cancel the Avalon, but even that I'm not so sure about.

I will easily believe reputable Lexus insiders that we have here on CL over some "insider" at IL that likely got his information from some Japanese auto mag.
Old 07-12-08, 09:42 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I do not believe a word in this article
Old 07-12-08, 09:55 AM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im hoping that this article is not true. A LWB camry is just plain dumb especially when the Avalon is moving over 100,000 units a year. And the SC is not supposed to be a big seller its a halo car and brings in good profit dropping it will hurt image and put a little bit of a dent in sales. Once the third gen debuts sales will be up.
Old 07-12-08, 10:20 AM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

That's Blasphemy! I'll believe it when it comes directly from Lexus. I truly believe Lexus will update the SC 430 into the SC 460...
Old 07-12-08, 02:17 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ffpower
[I]
The 2008 SC 430 is priced at $67,120. It is fitted with a 288-horsepower 4.3-liter V8 that is rated by the EPA at 16 mpg in city driving and 23 on the highway.

really crappy mpg, and underpowerd.

good riddance.
Old 07-12-08, 05:17 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by MSMLexIS
Im hoping that this article is not true. A LWB camry is just plain dumb especially when the Avalon is moving over 100,000 units a year. And the SC is not supposed to be a big seller its a halo car and brings in good profit dropping it will hurt image and put a little bit of a dent in sales. Once the third gen debuts sales will be up.
Avalon sales have slipped a bit recently. In '07 they sold 73K cars which was down from 89K in '06. The current gen is probably due for some type of refresh pretty soon.

Still, that's a lot of cars for Toyota to walk away from and seems unlikely.
Old 07-12-08, 05:54 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Avalon sales have slipped a bit recently. In '07 they sold 73K cars which was down from 89K in '06. The current gen is probably due for some type of refresh pretty soon.

Still, that's a lot of cars for Toyota to walk away from and seems unlikely.
They already had the refresh
Old 07-12-08, 06:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The current SC also didn't sell better because it never got an SC300/350 version like the first generation. I've said for years that it was a mistake to rely on just the V8 version........and still do. Lexus should have taken the money they put into the SC430's trick (and unnecessary) folding top and done two non-folding versions instead....one with a six and other with a V8, like the first-generation cars had. So, now, instead of finally doing what they should have done, what do they do instead.....cancel the entire series?

And you guys wonder why I hit on auto marketers day and night?
Old 07-12-08, 06:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dunnojack
really crappy mpg, and underpowerd.

good riddance.
Well, power alone was not the only issue with the SC series. It was sorely missing a straight-six or V6 version.....see my post above. The V8 version was simply too expensive, and, as you note, was not particularly powerful for a V8.
Old 07-12-08, 06:09 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The current SC also didn't sell better because it never got an SC300/350 version like the first generation. I've said for years that it was a mistake to rely on just the V8 version........and still do. Lexus should have taken the money they put into the SC430's trick (and unnecessary) folding top and done two non-folding versions instead....one with a six and other with a V8, like the first-generation cars had. So, now, instead of finally doing what they should have done, what do they do instead.....cancel the entire series?

And you guys wonder why I hit on auto marketers day and night?
They wanted to bring the car up in image, and having a V6 in a SL/6/XLR class was going to lower the image of the car

I hope Lexus does make a new coupe that would compete with the SLK/Z and a new SC to still compete with the SL/6/XLR
Old 07-12-08, 06:10 PM
xioix
Racer

Well, power alone was not the only issue with the SC series. It was sorely missing a straight-six or V6 version.....see my post above. The V8 version was simply too expensive, and, as you note, was not particularly powerful for a V8.
At time of introduction, the V8 was plentiful; but not changing it to where the competition is today was a huge mistake
Old 07-12-08, 06:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by xioix
They wanted to bring the car up in image, and having a V6 in a SL/6/XLR class was going to lower the image of the car
I disagree that having a V6 lowers the image (just as I do with the Acura RL's V6) but I will respect your opinion....I know there are others who think as you do.

I hope Lexus does make a new coupe that would compete with the SLK/Z and a new SC to still compete with the SL/6/XLR
So you want Lexus to develop TWO new coupes? That is, more or less (not exactly), what I argued for in the first place....a lower-priced SC300/350 and a higher priced SC430.
Old 07-12-08, 06:21 PM
xioix
Racer

I disagree that having a V6 lowers the image (just as I do with the Acura RL's V6) but I will respect your opinion....I know there are others who think as you do.

So you want Lexus to develop TWO new coupes? That is, more or less (not exactly), what I argued for in the first place....a lower-priced SC300/350 and a higher priced SC430.
Well, a SC300/SC350 and a SC430/SC460 would be more like an SLK350 and SLK55 AMG, while nothing like a SL550
Old 07-12-08, 07:53 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Actually the SC430 sold beyond expectations for the first couple years, & was meeting sales targets for another couple years following that. So to say the lack of V6 version hurts sales has no basis in reality.
It sold as well or better than the first generation even without the cheaper V6 available while having more competition.
I think the key for a successful flagship sedan or coupe/convertible, at least in N.America, is to get healthy sales but without making it too cheap & accessible so that it lose exclusivity & status, & have too many on the roads. Lexus have achieved that with the SC430 in the first 4 years or so.

It's sales fell in recent years because they did next to nothing to UPGRADE the engine & the features, while competitors like SL500 that launched one year later than the SC upgraded transmission, increase hp to 388(SL550, also CLK500 to CLK550)), & had already facelifted TWICE with other improvements to go with it. Without any significant refresh, it's hard for sales not to plummet.
Making SC430 with no convertible top would have been a disastrous decision, & Lexus did their homework & didn't make that mistake. Many in the SC forum had said one of the top, if not the top selling point is the convertible hardtop, without which they would be much less likely to buy the car. In recent years, more & more other models have the convertible hardtop, so Lexus would have to make another one with improvements in other areas to keep it fresh & competitive.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 07-12-08 at 08:08 PM.

Quick Reply: IL Insider: Next-Generation Lexus SC?