Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

IL Insider: Next-Generation Lexus SC?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-08, 09:13 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Discontinuing the SC is the right move IMO. All Lexus models are made for world markets at the SC just is not selling anymore. Cushy, curvy smooth luxury is just not in anymore and sales of almost all Lexus models have gone down. Lexus is in bad need of a make over for most of there models as IMO as the competition is moving forward farther than they are.

One can by a new Nissan Maxima which is better performing and has just as much luxury as the GS, IS or ES for less. Same goes for Acura....

Toyota really needs to rethink the luxury car market as simple nice luxury is not enough anymore...Lexus seriously needs some sport in there luxury.
I sure hope not. I mean it's fine if Lexus does what Caddy has done and offers a wide range of suspension/wheel/tire/steering options... Caddy does FE1/FE2/FE3 on their newer models and the difference in the ride/performance compromise is staggering.

Lexus does luxury very well... so if they want to start trying to offer performance in their non -F models I sure hope they at least give people the option to retain a more luxurious suspension/chassis setup. Not everybody needs to try and copy BMW/Audi. I enjoy driving my 335i but the ride is too harsh for a car I'd want to buy... I just drive the crap out of this car since it's a lease but if I owned it whenever I hit a pot hole and jarred the entire car I'd be concerned about how it would hold up.

I haven't driven the new Maxima but I'd be pretty shocked if I found the smoothness and quality to literally be just as good as the GS350 with similar/better performance. The GS is a very solid and refined car even if it is not so great in other ways.
Old 07-14-08, 12:20 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i think this was supposed to be the successor.
Old 07-14-08, 12:29 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought this was it!

Isn't it interesting though that the Audi from i-robot very much so looks like the R8.
Old 07-14-08, 01:04 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by knihc2008
Maybe the SC is selling so slow because Lexus has done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WITH IT since it has been released, and is now completely outdated?

+1 ........................................................
Old 07-14-08, 01:31 PM
Diemellz
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
I saw this comming.
i did too
Lexus WILL lose big time, if they cancel the SC, its just a simple formula, REDESIGN/UPDATE the ****ing car, 1st it was the joke of car LS600h, now the lame/tamed GS460, then now SC, WOW!!! i see why BMW and MBZ be laughing @ them SMFH

as for the avalon, its a win/win situation for toyota
Old 07-14-08, 01:31 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Lexus does luxury very well... so if they want to start trying to offer performance in their non -F models I sure hope they at least give people the option to retain a more luxurious suspension/chassis setup.
I think the days of boulevard highway cruising luxury models are on the decline. What is in right now is the sportier luxury such Audi, BMW, Infiniti, Acura...not the large flagship model (those are all dead) what is in the $35-50k models with decent power, luxury and fuel efficiency.

While Lexus reported a decline in first half 2008 sales...BMW report a record first half. In June Lexus was down over 20% and has a decrease in sales for every month since Jan 2008. A huge lexus overall is needed IMO.

Start with the SC and discontinue it.

LS hybrid should be discontinued.

IS is fine but cancel the IS-F and put more money into the IS250 and IS350 to make them more sporty. No need for a 400 hp V8 in IS trim.

IS needs a coupe and a convertible ASAP.

GS needs a nice redesign along the M35/new Maxima. GS350 needs to start at a lower MSRP to get those TL/RL buyers in the door.

A dedicated Lexus hybrid MUST be made. (I think its on the way)

ES....makes no sense not to have a hybrid model in this line up. Next gen ES needs to become Avalon sized.

Lexus needs to spin off three different styles off the RX production line. Similar RX is needed, so to is a hybrid but they need to make a MDX/RDX style Lexus off the RX platform.

GX-benefits from worldwide sales under Prado models so just make it less available in the US>

LX-doesn't really need much. Not many people can afford this so those who can really want one...should live forever.

Last edited by pagemaster; 07-14-08 at 01:35 PM.
Old 07-14-08, 01:55 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While Lexus reported a decline in first half 2008 sales...BMW report a record first half. In June Lexus was down over 20% and has a decrease in sales for every month since Jan 2008. A huge lexus overall is needed IMO.
First of all, BMW is down in NA, only up when taken the world sales into consideration. I don't know what's Lexus' sales look like world wide but I am pretty sure it's not as bad as in NA. Second, Lexus sales down is not due to have less sportier cars, it is because of there are no new models for Lexus in MY 2008, period (unless you count the IS F, which I don't).

SC - good to discontinue for now but hopefully Lexus would bring it back later on either base on the new GS or the LF-A

LS600hL - Lexus flagship to compete with the S600 and 760i. If you are thinking volume for this model then you just don't get it.

IS F - I am pretty sure money is not a problem and I have full confidence that Lexus can take care of its core products with or without the F-division. To cancel the F division right now will be a slap on the face especially with the LF-A is just around the corner.

IS coupe/convertible - coming soon to the dealers near you...

LX - a halo SUV and one of a few luxury SUVs with real off-road capability. Again, not a volume model.
Old 07-14-08, 02:31 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

LS600hL - Lexus flagship to compete with the S600 and 760i. If you are thinking volume for this model then you just don't get it.
I think it is a big mistake to marry the hyrbid and the 5.0 to compete with the S600 and 760il just make a V12 engine. Correct me if I am wrong but sales of LS600h are really not moving all that well. LS600h is still just not in the same league as 7 series, A8 or S class IMO. In Canada the LS600h is not even in the same price point as S600 and 760 or A8 with W12. I am quoted Can prices.

LS600h is a mistake like when Toyota threw the T100v6 up against the American competition who had V8s.

Lexus sales down is not due to have less sportier cars, it is because of there are no new models for Lexus in MY 2008, period (unless you count the IS F, which I don't).
Exactly my point. Redesign needs to be done ASAP. I said that earlier. The largest segment where Lexus can win will be the Maxima, RL, TL, A6, 5 series crowd.

IS and GS need to become more like Acura, Maxima, Audi, BMW crowd while ES needs to get Avalon sized bigger and more luxurious and send the LS into the ultra premium large flagship sedan crowd. A dedicated hybrid is needed right away.

IMO Lexus is not evolving their line up the way the market is going and sales are showing that.

IMO the luxurious boulevard cruiser is dying and sport luxury is the new "in" thing.

Last edited by pagemaster; 07-14-08 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-14-08, 03:04 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I think it is a big mistake to marry the hyrbid and the 5.0 to compete with the S600 and 760il just make a V12 engine. Correct me if I am wrong but sales of LS600h are really not moving all that well. LS600h is still just not in the same league as 7 series, A8 or S class IMO. In Canada the LS600h is not even in the same price point as S600 and 760 or A8 with W12. I am quoted Can prices.
LS600 is not in the same category as twin turbo V12 S600/S65. But it easily trumps A8 with W12 and BMW 760.
Old 07-14-08, 03:04 PM
LexFather

pagemaster, the LS 600h L is selling 300% past expectations, Lexus cannot build enough.
You don't want Lexus to mimic anything acura is doing, please stop right there. You say the GS needs a redesign like the aging awfully M35/Maxima? did it occur to you those 2 cars blatantly took GS styling cues?

Sorry but too many people in this thread are putting PERSONAL feelings and their dislike for the SC first and not looking at the entire picture here. THe 2SC is one polarizing car, people either hate or love it and it shows here.

Old 07-14-08, 03:06 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

IMO the luxurious boulevard cruiser is dying and sport luxury is the new "in" thing.
That maybe be true on the internet, but in real life people that can afford 60K+ cars are usually middle aged, and much prefer their cars to be luxury oriented instead of "riding like a horse". You'll be hard pressed to find people who drive their LS and S classes with suspension in sports mode.
Old 07-14-08, 03:07 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
pagemaster, the LS 600h L is selling 300% past expectations, Lexus cannot build enough.
You don't want Lexus to mimic anything acura is doing, please stop right there. You say the GS needs a redesign like the aging awfully M35/Maxima? did it occur to you those 2 cars blatantly took GS styling cues?

Sorry but too many people in this thread are putting PERSONAL feelings and their dislike for the SC first and not looking at the entire picture here. THe 2SC is one polarizing car, people either hate or love it and it shows here.
Oh I love the SC, it's so gorgeous it gives me shivers. But its drivetrain is mediocre.
Old 07-14-08, 03:18 PM
LexFather

I also want to educate everyone the SC is not the only car to be based on older tech.
Infiniti M45 used V-8 and tranny from 2001 Q45
New Benz CLC looks all new but is totally based on the old C-class
Jaguar XK/XJ/XF uses the same 4.2 V-8 from ages ago, maybe as long as 10 years ago
Benz CLK is selling slow as well, its actually based on teh C-class but looks like an E-class coupe.
Audi 3.2 V-6 is old and underpowered compared to the other V-6s around
SC at least got a 6 speed upgrade. All Acuras still have a 5 speed

Let me also remind you the SC while being a hardtop convert is the highest ranking quality car in JDPOwer history.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a huge SC fan (make mines black, kitted, with a drop and wheels BEFORE it leaves the dealer) but it has served its role well and it simply overshadowed by newer Lexus products. REmember in 2002, the SC was the newest thing Lexus had around

Old 07-14-08, 04:56 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

all they need to do is change a few exterior sheet metal panels.
and keep everything else the same.

how hard is that?
Old 07-14-08, 09:13 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Discontinuing the SC is the right move IMO. All Lexus models are made for world markets at the SC just is not selling anymore. Cushy, curvy smooth luxury is just not in anymore and sales of almost all Lexus models have gone down. Lexus is in bad need of a make over for most of there models as IMO as the competition is moving forward farther than they are.

One can by a new Nissan Maxima which is better performing and has just as much luxury as the GS, IS or ES for less. Same goes for Acura....

Toyota really needs to rethink the luxury car market as simple nice luxury is not enough anymore...Lexus seriously needs some sport in there luxury.
I disagree. They need to go back to the mold of the first SC, not discontinue it. You must also realize that the current SC is about 7 yrs old.

p.s. Maybe you could also invest in some English classes?

Quick Reply: IL Insider: Next-Generation Lexus SC?