Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

IL Insider: Next-Generation Lexus SC?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-08, 05:04 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Long production runs and forcasting are over IMO. The faster you redesign a car the more competitive advantage you will have. Lexus needs to kill the SC right away and spend this money on their more mainstream cars.

IMO Lexus cars really aren't moving right now because of a lack of design compared to the competition...Infiiniti really makes a better product with there cars right now than Lexus and it shows especially in the design.
Infiniti makes a better product? Are you high?
Old 07-22-08, 05:29 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I guess I will have to disagree with that statement. Infiniti's are damn fine cars, but better product?? Maybe one or two of their models are, which is highly debatable, but brand for brand.....thats not even close!! Especially when the interiors of 3 out of 5 of Infiniti's models are basically the same as the lowly Maxima and Murano (though they are nice, but come on. I'd be mad if my 60K FX50 shared the same center console as a 30K Maxima). 1, maybe 2 vehicles in its entire line up actually looks good (of course thats subjective) and they dont have a vehicle that can compete with the LS.

Nice product, but I think they have a little more growing to do.
Old 07-22-08, 09:15 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Long production runs and forcasting are over IMO. The faster you redesign a car the more competitive advantage you will have. Lexus needs to kill the SC right away and spend this money on their more mainstream cars.

IMO Lexus cars really aren't moving right now because of a lack of design compared to the competition...Infiiniti really makes a better product with there cars right now than Lexus and it shows especially in the design.
Absolutely not. Many of the high priced, niche market vehicles are intended with this purpose. MB's SL is on a similar schedule. The SC never was, is not, and never will be, a volume vehicle. In order for Lexus to even invest in something like the SC, it has to be produced for a long time to recoup development costs. And this has been so for the 1st gen and 2nd gen SCs. Similar vehicles from other marques have the similar development schedules. They will have the IS to refresh and reintro every 3-5 years. The SC, LS will remain as they are with minor refreshes for long cycles. They are following MB in this regard. MB refreshes the S and SL every 8-10 years with minor facelifts in between.

Infiniti has gotten much better in the last several years, but have a bit to go before they can actually play in the BMW, MB, Lexus arena... and one reason is that they don't have any halo cars (big $$$ sedan, high priced vert).
Old 07-22-08, 10:06 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

The SC never was, is not, and never will be, a volume vehicle. In order for Lexus to even invest in something like the SC, it has to be produced for a long time to recoup development costs
I never said it was a volume leader but IMO the days of vehicles with long production cycles are gone...car companies that can redesign a vehicles quicker will be the companies that sell more cars year over year and Toyota needs to recognize this to be successful in the future. I think only time will tell if either of us are correct.

IMO there is something wrong in Lexus land when all your passenger cars are selling less than the pervious year when you have cars such as the ES in its second year and LS in only its third model year. Call it whatever you want but these numbers don't lie..IMO this is reflected in the management changes are reorganization taking place at Toyota right now. For Toyota not enough small cars and too many large trucks..they should of cancelled the Sequoia...as for Lexus..the cars are way to boring.

I remember a time when Toyota's/Lexus sold no matter what and currently this is not the case. I blame the design of the cars for not selling. L finese IMO is not working. The LS and ES used to be benchmarks. They are great but not the benchmark anymore IMO.

Last edited by pagemaster; 07-22-08 at 10:17 PM.
Old 07-23-08, 02:26 PM
TougeSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Toyota should let "Us" redesign the car.
Old 07-23-08, 03:14 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Eh

I never said it was a volume leader but IMO the days of vehicles with long production cycles are gone...car companies that can redesign a vehicles quicker will be the companies that sell more cars year over year and Toyota needs to recognize this to be successful in the future. I think only time will tell if either of us are correct.

IMO there is something wrong in Lexus land when all your passenger cars are selling less than the pervious year when you have cars such as the ES in its second year and LS in only its third model year. Call it whatever you want but these numbers don't lie..IMO this is reflected in the management changes are reorganization taking place at Toyota right now. For Toyota not enough small cars and too many large trucks..they should of cancelled the Sequoia...as for Lexus..the cars are way to boring.

I remember a time when Toyota's/Lexus sold no matter what and currently this is not the case. I blame the design of the cars for not selling. L finese IMO is not working. The LS and ES used to be benchmarks. They are great but not the benchmark anymore IMO.
There are still people out there that feel that Toyotas & Lexi sell on their names alone & I am pretty sure that it is common for a vehicle's sales to go down from year to year after its release. You paint a grim picture here & not saying that you are totally wrong but since pretty much all car maker's sales are down, especially luxury makes, I think Lexus is doing fine.
Old 07-23-08, 03:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Bring back the classic lines of the first gen SC Lexus!
Few things can get me and DASH to agree, but that's one of them.
Old 07-23-08, 03:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Actually the SC430 sold beyond expectations for the first couple years, & was meeting sales targets for another couple years following that. So to say the lack of V6 version hurts sales has no basis in reality.
The problem is, Andrew, that, without a V6 or in-line 6 version, we don't have the "reality" to even make that judgement basis on. It's making a judgement on something that doesn't exist.

If you look at some Lexus competitors, though, they DO sell a lot of 6-cylinder versions compared to V8's. Look at the BMW 5-series, for example. They have sold a lot of 525's, 528's, 530's and 535's....not everyone buys 540's, 545s, 550s, or M5s.
You will find similiar 6-vs-V8 sales patterns with other upmarket vehicles as well, like the Infiniti M35/45, Mercedes E-class, Audi A6, etc....
Old 07-23-08, 05:20 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The problem is, Andrew, that, without a V6 or in-line 6 version, we don't have the "reality" to even make that judgement basis on. It's making a judgement on something that doesn't exist.

If you look at some Lexus competitors, though, they DO sell a lot of 6-cylinder versions compared to V8's. Look at the BMW 5-series, for example. They have sold a lot of 525's, 528's, 530's and 535's....not everyone buys 540's, 545s, 550s, or M5s.
You will find similiar 6-vs-V8 sales patterns with other upmarket vehicles as well, like the Infiniti M35/45, Mercedes E-class, Audi A6, etc....
Soon we will get the IS 250/350 coupes. That should cover Lexus as far as the competition with V6 engine coupes...
Old 07-23-08, 05:37 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

SC430 sold 14000 units in each of the first two years, first generation SC did not do any better in their first two years WITH the 6-cylinder version available & with less competition, so I won't say it's not comparable.
You can't compare SC430 with the 5 series, E-class, etc. they are sedans & not the flagship sedans. The flagship coupe/convertible from BMW, the 6 series, does not offer anything less than a V8 in N.America, neither do the SL, the Mercedes flagship coupe/convertible.
Old 07-23-08, 06:12 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
You can't compare SC430 with the 5 series, E-class, etc. they are sedans & not the flagship sedans. The flagship coupe/convertible from BMW, the 6 series, does not offer anything less than a V8 in N.America, neither do the SL, the Mercedes flagship coupe/convertible.
Exactly. The 6 series was never offered in the US with a 6 cylinder. The CLK however does have a 6 cylinder option but isn't a true E-series coupe. All of the luxury makers seem to understand that a GT coupe doesn't call for a 6 cylinder engine. The IS coupe will fill the SC300 spot. I'm all for more options (some people would take a LS350 if it existed) but it seems the luxury market doesn't want a 6 cylinder luxury GT coupe.
Old 07-23-08, 11:08 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,378 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Few things can get me and DASH to agree, but that's one of them.
+2 - it's a design that has stood the test of time. Whenever I see a 1SC I still think it looks great.
Old 07-25-08, 11:24 PM
Trexus

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
+2 - it's a design that has stood the test of time. Whenever I see a 1SC I still think it looks great.
I totally agree with you...
Old 07-26-08, 04:21 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by ffpower
Please tell us what the SC really is, you almighty SC god...

I have to agree with Phil, if we can look past the actually physical dimensions and concentrate on what the 1SC was:

a sporty 2-door coupe based on Supra

and what the 2IS coupe is going to be:

a sporty 2-door coupe based on the 2IS (which is going to share the engine and/or platform with the new Supra if Toyota decides to bring it back, you can bank on it)

We can easily see that a 2IS coupe is actually a better 1SC replacement than the current 2SC...
If you look back on a timeline, the Supra MKIV came out in late 93, and the SC came out in 91

So the Supra is a sporty version of the SC
Old 08-20-08, 10:38 PM
Trexus

If you go to http://www.Lexus.com it's been updated with the 2009 SC 430 and some new pictures...

Quick Reply: IL Insider: Next-Generation Lexus SC?