Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

IL Insider: Next-Generation Lexus SC?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-08, 11:25 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default IL Insider: Next-Generation Lexus SC?

TOKYO — Toyota has canceled the next-generation Lexus SC coupe/convertible and may shelve the planned replacement for the Toyota Avalon sedan, Inside Line has learned.

The SC has consistently been a slow seller for the Lexus brand, which is getting a new performance flagship, the LF-A supercar, in 2009. In the first six months, Lexus sold only 1,230 SC 430s, down more than 40 percent from a year ago.

The 2008 SC 430 is priced at $67,120. It is fitted with a 288-horsepower 4.3-liter V8 that is rated by the EPA at 16 mpg in city driving and 23 on the highway.

Toyota had been developing a successor to the SC, based on the same rear-wheel-drive platform as the LF-A. Originally slated for production in early 2009, the next-generation SC was pushed back to mid-2011 and now has been canceled, according to Toyota insiders.

With development of the next-generation 2012 Camry well underway, Toyota also is studying whether to cancel the planned replacement for the Camry-based Avalon, which currently is slated to go into production in Kentucky in early 2010.

In its place, Toyota may opt to produce a long-wheelbase Camry for such markets as North America and the Middle East. The redesigned Camry currently is slated to begin production in mid-2011.

Source: Inside Line

I am a bit confused here, does it mean that only the LF-A platform based next gen SC is canceled but not the LF-A? I hope that's the case because it'll suck if the LF-A doesn't make it to production.
Old 07-12-08, 01:02 AM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If that is true, then it is truly a dam shame . The first gen SC's were so awesome, one of my favorite Lexus designs ever. The current gen SC just didn't quite seem to have the right styling IMHO. I was looking forward to the next gen SC, figuring that Lexus would make an amazing creation to get the SC back on track as one of it's true signature vehicles.
I hope this insiders info turns out to be wrong.
Old 07-12-08, 01:06 AM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Maybe the SC is selling so slow because Lexus has done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WITH IT since it has been released, and is now completely outdated?
Old 07-12-08, 01:27 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

of course it dropped 40%, the design is 6 years old now, I was so looking forward for the new Gen.
Old 07-12-08, 01:39 AM
rsantiago
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo_gg
If that is true, then it is truly a dam shame . The first gen SC's were so awesome, one of my favorite Lexus designs ever. The current gen SC just didn't quite seem to have the right styling IMHO. I was looking forward to the next gen SC, figuring that Lexus would make an amazing creation to get the SC back on track as one of it's true signature vehicles.
I hope this insiders info turns out to be wrong.
Yeah, it's a shame to Lexus the long live the 1st Gen SC (a timeless 2 door coupe)
Old 07-12-08, 02:10 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

It is indeed a shame. I was really looking forward to either a revamp with the 4.6L or a 2-seater coupe on the LF-A platform.
Old 07-12-08, 03:36 AM
Stormwind
Racer

Guess they couldn't find enough people willing to pay that much for a bath tub every year huh?
Should have stuck with the 1st gen look.
Old 07-12-08, 04:03 AM
rsantiago
Pole Position

Another justification to why Toyota Inc. produces dull and boring cars (expect for IS-F of course). I bet most originals owners of the 1st Gen SC have probably either bought a MB CL or BMW 6 Series instead.

Last edited by rsantiago; 07-12-08 at 04:07 AM.
Old 07-12-08, 04:19 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

what a shame, if this is true.

first their quality goes down, now this. they have themselves to blame for all this.
Old 07-12-08, 04:23 AM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was in the market for a "toy car" convertible a couple of years ago. I really liked Lexus as a brand but the SC just didn't do anything for me especially for the price. Had it been $40,000 maybe I would have bought it but I found it to be kind of ugly (no offense to any owners) and way overpriced. I ended up buying a Porsche instead and loved it. They could have done so much more with the design.
Old 07-12-08, 04:43 AM
carguy101
Lead Lap

Toyota really messed up the SC franchise.

I think the original SC was the best Lexus ever.
Old 07-12-08, 05:51 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ffpower
TOKYO — Toyota has canceled the next-generation Lexus SC coupe/convertible and may shelve the planned replacement for the Toyota Avalon sedan, Inside Line has learned.

The SC has consistently been a slow seller for the Lexus brand, which is getting a new performance flagship, the LF-A supercar, in 2009. In the first six months, Lexus sold only 1,230 SC 430s, down more than 40 percent from a year ago.

The 2008 SC 430 is priced at $67,120. It is fitted with a 288-horsepower 4.3-liter V8 that is rated by the EPA at 16 mpg in city driving and 23 on the highway.

Toyota had been developing a successor to the SC, based on the same rear-wheel-drive platform as the LF-A. Originally slated for production in early 2009, the next-generation SC was pushed back to mid-2011 and now has been canceled, according to Toyota insiders.

With development of the next-generation 2012 Camry well underway, Toyota also is studying whether to cancel the planned replacement for the Camry-based Avalon, which currently is slated to go into production in Kentucky in early 2010.

In its place, Toyota may opt to produce a long-wheelbase Camry for such markets as North America and the Middle East. The redesigned Camry currently is slated to begin production in mid-2011.

Source: Inside Line

I am a bit confused here, does it mean that only the LF-A platform based next gen SC is canceled but not the LF-A? I hope that's the case because it'll suck if the LF-A doesn't make it to production.
I can promise you that this article is illegitimate for two reasons:

1) SC and LF-A would have never shared a chassis. One is a luxury coupe the other is a dedicated, light weight, ***** to the wall performance sports car with carbon fiber and the whole deal.

The next SC, which is coming in 2011 as a 2012, will carry on the tradition of being a GS based midsize coupe/convertible with all the latest luxury amenities.

2) The Avalon IS a long wheelbase Camry. They aren't going to drop "Avalon" to come up with "Camry L" because that's already what the car is.

You guys freak out over the slightest bit of speculation!
Old 07-12-08, 06:59 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

This better not be true. I've been waiting to see the 3rd gen since 2002!

How can they base this decision on sales of a 6 year old car!?

They should make one with a 6 and 8 cylinder version like the original so that it can be starting priced around $45K for the 6 ($55K for the 8). Then they'll see some sales.
Old 07-12-08, 07:27 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I can promise you that this article is illegitimate for two reasons:

1) SC and LF-A would have never shared a chassis. One is a luxury coupe the other is a dedicated, light weight, ***** to the wall performance sports car with carbon fiber and the whole deal.

The next SC, which is coming in 2011 as a 2012, will carry on the tradition of being a GS based midsize coupe/convertible with all the latest luxury amenities.

2) The Avalon IS a long wheelbase Camry. They aren't going to drop "Avalon" to come up with "Camry L" because that's already what the car is.

You guys freak out over the slightest bit of speculation!
Exactly. What the article also fails to mention is the SC is a limited production vehicle of only 10k units worldwide. That orignally was 12k units its first year of production then moved to 10k units.

Funny I had this conversation last night, Lexus orginally wanted the first SC to be a convert and had running prototypes but didn't like the vibrations/cowl shake from cutting the roof off.

The 2nd gen from the start was designed to be a convertible.

The next gen is coming, this is a halo vehicle for Lexus (even is most in Car Chat don't like it). Like the rest of Lexus lineup when a new vehicle debuts, expect more versions than just one SC.

Old 07-12-08, 07:45 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

They cancelled the first generation SC too due to extremely low sales - like the current, they let it run for too long without significant upgrades, but they came back a year later with a new redesigned one, I just don't think LF-A is in the same class as the SC, it cannot be a replacement.

If they think they don't need a coupe/convertible at the higher price bracket to compete with the 6-series/SL just because these cars typically have a much smaller market than the sedans & didn't bother making them, that's pretty sad.
Lexus will have a hole in their line-up. Audi is increasing the variety of models they offer to compete & enhance their image, & BMW is not happy with just the 6-series, I think they are making a SL competitor ... I just hope this is just BS . . .

Last edited by Gojirra99; 07-12-08 at 08:03 AM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: IL Insider: Next-Generation Lexus SC?