Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Limiting the Power of the LS460

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-08, 06:24 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

However, there is no way that we can place a car with the kind of power of the LS460 into the hands of a new driver. It would just be wreckless on our parts
#1. What a loser!

It is way too much power and I couldn't care less about it
#.2. Obviously you do care about it...or you wouldn't of started this thread....oh yeah. See point #1.
Old 07-13-08, 06:38 PM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
#1. What a loser!

#.2. Obviously you do care about it...or you wouldn't of started this thread....oh yeah. See point #1.
I love you pagemaster because it has been almost a full year since someone won the "Jack *** of the Year Award" but you have earned it for 2008!!!! I was really worried that it would go to waste this year.

Now to comment on your insightful posts;

Point #1: Doesn't make sense
Point #2: I was referring to power that I don't value and not the power I am concerned about giving to another.

I shouldn't be mean though as some people just aren't gifted with even average intelligence. You have reminded me not to take my ability to read for granted.

I must commend you on your use of the computer as you did manage to post a comment (even if it was pretty unimpressive). You seem like you are managing your "special needs" very well and you should be applauded for it.

Congratulations once again on your award and keep up the good work!

P.S. Maybe I could buy your ES300 for a couple of pennies. What do you think?
Old 07-13-08, 07:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

luxury1 - besides speed/power, I think the main reason you should not give your daughter an LS460 is because it has SO MANY FEATURES that it will be distracting to her main task - DRIVING and focusing on the road ahead and everything going on around her.

The dizzying array of buttons and features are way more than a teenager needs to be dealing with when so inexperienced at driving.

I recommend getting a car with quite limited features. You mentioned Volvo - they can certainly be very comfortable and competent as well as being safe, without the 'mission control' interior of the LS460.
Old 07-13-08, 07:22 PM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
luxury1 - besides speed/power, I think the main reason you should not give your daughter an LS460 is because it has SO MANY FEATURES that it will be distracting to her main task - DRIVING and focusing on the road ahead and everything going on around her.

The dizzying array of buttons and features are way more than a teenager needs to be dealing with when so inexperienced at driving.

I recommend getting a car with quite limited features. You mentioned Volvo - they can certainly be very comfortable and competent as well as being safe, without the 'mission control' interior of the LS460.
The more I ponder this decision (and evaluate the constructive and coherent input), the more clarity I have as to the prudent course of action. It is becoming more and more evident that the Volvo S80 is the best choice.

You are absolutely correct that the cockpit of the LS would be overwhelming irrespective of the power. Furthermore the Volvo even has a Collision Avoidance Package which includes the following beneficial features:
Adaptive Cruise Control
Collision Warning with Auto Brake
Distance Alert
Lane Departure Warning
Driver Alert Control

It seems like a more sensible fit from pretty much every perspective.

I really appreciate the help!
Old 07-13-08, 07:41 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by luxury1
The more I ponder this decision (and evaluate the constructive and coherent input), the more clarity I have as to the prudent course of action. It is becoming more and more evident that the Volvo S80 is the best choice.

You are absolutely correct that the cockpit of the LS would be overwhelming irrespective of the power. Furthermore the Volvo even has a Collision Avoidance Package which includes the following beneficial features:
Adaptive Cruise Control
Collision Warning with Auto Brake
Distance Alert
Lane Departure Warning
Driver Alert Control

It seems like a more sensible fit from pretty much every perspective.

I really appreciate the help!
I know you probably aren't thinking otherwise, but please always remind your daughter and yourself that these aren't substitutes for good driving and that she should always drive with care and attention regardless of the safety features the car has (as if it didn't have them).
Old 07-13-08, 08:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by luxury1
OK, will you adopt me now?
Old 07-13-08, 08:23 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Do not forget to TEACH her how to use/expect to use all of these advanced safety features. I remember when ABS first came out, when the pulsating start, many people LIFTED off of the brake pedal thinking something was wrong.

One more aspect of giving a LS460 to a young lady is the "bling" aspect. Many people may think she has a lot of money (driving such an expensive car!) and could be seen as a potential target.
Old 07-13-08, 08:27 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Ok, because I care about your daughters safety, give me the LS460 and I'll buy her a nice 4 banger car with a roll cage.
Old 07-13-08, 08:35 PM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

Just give her the LS460 and then properly teach her how to drive responsibly. My first car was an turbo MR2 which my friend happen to modify. That was not safe because the engine was in the back and too much power. I like to think i learned fine.
Old 07-14-08, 04:24 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by valgs350
The RX is a very safe car, trust me!

My friend flipped his 3 times and walked away without sore pains...lol

I'll PM you pics!!!

My first car was the 1999 LX470 and that car helped me learn how to get out of skids, when the car is loosing traction, etc

Sometimes bigger and more powerful cars are the best way to learn.

Skip Barber would be awesome for her, if you and she has the time, might be good bonding also.
i just wanted to point out that in rollovers the energy of the impact and stop is distributed very gradually and dispersed through kinetic energy with the car moving as compared to hitting an object and just STOPPING.

basically your friend was less/not sore because he rolled the rx 3 times, not because it was, indeed, an RX.
Old 07-14-08, 12:17 PM
08lx570
Driver School Candidate

I really Hope You DO NOT give your daughter a car at 16!

Will the car be in your name?

Say if she gets in to an accident and was her fault and the other guy was severly injured. Whatever the insurance doesn't pick up will come from your assets

She could be a potential target. As someone could run in to her and who are they going to believe ie(16 Y.O BRAND NEW DRIVER) OR A 35(YEAR OLD)

you are going to thank me for this advise WAIT TILL 18 and put her name on the tittle. That way you are NOT RESPONSIBLE for whatever happens

Also any accident she gets in and it is difficult to determine fault. It becomes the New drivers fault

Last edited by 08lx570; 07-14-08 at 12:20 PM.
Old 07-14-08, 04:56 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow this thread is so full of fail. im not going to bother adding anything to the discussion because if the OP were an intelligent person, there are so many things that can be done besides physically limiting the cars power. even that is a retarded idea.
Old 07-14-08, 05:04 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

There seems to be a lot of responses that fail to actually address the issue and instead are posted to ridicule others.
I would ask that everyone respect the opinion of others as name calling or any sort is not needed or allowed.
Old 07-14-08, 05:32 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

range rover.
LS.

seems like you're wealthy enough.

buy her a honda...... unless you're worried about image?

but this thread is way way premature if i read the first post correctly. Not into boys yet?

only 10 year olds say "ewwwwwwww" to boys.
Old 07-14-08, 05:56 PM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
There seems to be a lot of responses that fail to actually address the issue and instead are posted to ridicule others.
I would ask that everyone respect the opinion of others as name calling or any sort is not needed or allowed.
I agree. I was hoping to get some input and have a conversation but a lot of people took a very aggressive approach for some reason. I don't know if it is resentment or what. I do however appreciate the feedback from those of you who contributed in a positive manner.

I have what I need now so this thread can be locked down at this point.

Quick Reply: Limiting the Power of the LS460