Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Limiting the Power of the LS460

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-08, 12:41 PM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Limiting the Power of the LS460

My wife and I were kicking around the notion of transitioning our LS460 to our daughter in several years when she will need a car and we will want something new. We like the idea that it is safe and reliable and the car will be a little older at that point and so it would be better to give her the car than trade it for another. However, there is no way that we can place a car with the kind of power of the LS460 into the hands of a new driver. It would just be wreckless on our parts

Is there a way to limit the power produced by the car so it acts more like 200hp? Also, is there a way to limit top speeds? I am thinking about some kind of software perhaps...

On a similar note, I have no idea why they cram 380hp into the LS and serve it up as the only engine. It is way too much power and I couldn't care less about it. My wife doesn't ever race the car for the best 0-60 so why doesn't Lexus give me an option of V6 / V8... I would much prefer a smaller engine that is more efficient...
Old 07-12-08, 12:46 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get a standalone ecu and limit the rev limiter to 3000 rpm
Old 07-12-08, 12:47 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

You're out of luck my friend. I don't really think it's that big of a deal though. It's not like you'd be giving her a 380hp coupe that weighed 3200lbs. The LS is a big, heavy luxury car...probably not something that she's gonna want to wing around curves and drag race.

I don't know your daughter though...
Old 07-12-08, 01:17 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not give her the RX ?
Old 07-12-08, 01:21 PM
valgs350
Lexus Test Driver

My best advice is just to keep it in snow mode and put black tape over the switch...lol

Has long has she is not a boy racer I think your good....lol

LOL

The V8 engine on your LS460 is like another safety feature, if you ever in the middle of the intersection and the light turns red or yellow or to outrun a maniac in a pickup truck!

Last edited by valgs350; 07-12-08 at 01:26 PM.
Old 07-12-08, 01:26 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by valgs350
My best advice is just to keep it in snow mode and put black tape over the switch...lol
Except teens are naturally inquisitive, and either her or one of your boy friends would eventually stumble on the switch and the tape covering it. It would be just a matter of time. Trust me on that
Old 07-12-08, 01:36 PM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree that it is a matter of time and also it could easily be a boyfriend (although thankfully she isn't into boys yet). Price is no object when it comes to her safety and life. The RX is definitely out of the question though. I definitely don't feel that it is safe enough for her. That is my high mileage work car and my wife isn't even allowed to drive it because I just worry about it holding up (and remaining upright) in a significant accident.

We were originally thinking about the Volvo S80 so we might have to go with that but ElitistK, what is a Rev Limiter? Does it work? Is it plug and play?
Old 07-12-08, 01:41 PM
jackblack7
Pole Position

Originally Posted by valgs350
Doesn't it revert back to normal when you shut the car down? At least that's how the IS works.
Old 07-12-08, 01:41 PM
Mpunk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by luxury1
My wife and I were kicking around the notion of transitioning our LS460 to our daughter in several years when she will need a car and we will want something new. We like the idea that it is safe and reliable and the car will be a little older at that point and so it would be better to give her the car than trade it for another. However, there is no way that we can place a car with the kind of power of the LS460 into the hands of a new driver. It would just be wreckless on our parts

Is there a way to limit the power produced by the car so it acts more like 200hp? Also, is there a way to limit top speeds? I am thinking about some kind of software perhaps...

On a similar note, I have no idea why they cram 380hp into the LS and serve it up as the only engine. It is way too much power and I couldn't care less about it. My wife doesn't ever race the car for the best 0-60 so why doesn't Lexus give me an option of V6 / V8... I would much prefer a smaller engine that is more efficient...
Sorry dude, I don't mean to sound like a jerk but there's a couple issues with your post.

First, when you say "several years," do you mean like 2 or 10? Assuming your daughter is 14 now and will be of driving age at 16 in 2 years, even if she's been taught buy a professional driver, giving her a car with the size and power of an LS460 as her first car is, well, let's just say I wouldn't do it.

Second, you just bought, at the time, Lexus's flagship product, the most expensive (before the LSh) and powerful (before the IS-F) car Lexus has ever produced to-date at the time your car was introduced. And you're complaining that this car has too much power? What were you expecting Lexus to offer, the 204hp 2.5L V6 from the IS250 and call it the LS250 in anticipation that its customers will bequeath said sedan to their first-time driving children within a few years of purchase?

That's kind of like buying a 500hp V10 BMW M5 sedan for you and your wife, and, not wanting to spend $ on a more appropriate car for your kid, you're going to give that to your kid as a handmedown and then lament that you wish that the car had "less" power. And, if you remember earlier this year, that decision didn't fare too well for that kid who ended up dead along with his friends.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=124526

There was a post on this forum about a guy downgrading his '93 SC400 to an '07 Yaris S sedan. THAT would sound like a more appropriate car for your daughter. In fact, even that guy's '93 SC400 with its V8 would have been likely too much power for a first-time driver.

And, since we're on the subject, if my parents gave me their "used" LS460 when I first got my license, I think I would've turned out a spoiled, "gimme-gimme" brat. Despite my family's real estate holdings, businesses and political influence, I've used none of that to further myself. Sure, I resented it when my friends over at Punahou School (i.e., Barack Obama's and Michelle Wie's alma mater) had their parents buy them a $70K NEW M3 for their "sweet 16," but my parents were teaching me the value of hard work and money.

When I buy my ISF or M3, I'm going to pay for it 100% on my own, not with my trust fund.

Reading up on how Donald Trump raised his 3 kids (with ex-wife Ivana) is interesting. All he did was pay for their tuition at Wharton and they worked and scraped for the $ they needed.
http://www.amazon.com/Price-Privileg...5894709&sr=8-1

Again, I hope I'm not sounding like a critical jerk, but the issue isn't your car having too much power and heft, it's your choice of giving your car to your first-time driving daughter.
Old 07-12-08, 01:47 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

if you want a safe tank of a car for her first vehicle please dont give her the 460. its bulletproof but 400hp+ for a starter isnt the safest thing in the world.

a 1st or early 2nd gen LS (89-94/95-97) has the similar tank-like structure and isnt the fastest (or slowest >.>) thing in the world.
Old 07-12-08, 02:11 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

My first car was a 1994 LS400
It taught me a LOT about how to drive a rwd car

My sisters first car was a the 4.4i X5
As long as your daughter isn't retarded, it's actually better for her to learn how higher hp cars

Call it a day and send her to skip barber as well
Old 07-12-08, 03:11 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I dont know if you can limit the power, maybe by pulling the coils from a couple of cylinders. If you want, we can exchange engine, my 4.0 for your 4.6, I'll pay the installations costs
Old 07-12-08, 03:58 PM
valgs350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by luxury1
I agree that it is a matter of time and also it could easily be a boyfriend (although thankfully she isn't into boys yet). Price is no object when it comes to her safety and life. The RX is definitely out of the question though. I definitely don't feel that it is safe enough for her. That is my high mileage work car and my wife isn't even allowed to drive it because I just worry about it holding up (and remaining upright) in a significant accident.

We were originally thinking about the Volvo S80 so we might have to go with that but ElitistK, what is a Rev Limiter? Does it work? Is it plug and play?
The RX is a very safe car, trust me!

My friend flipped his 3 times and walked away without sore pains...lol

I'll PM you pics!!!

My first car was the 1999 LX470 and that car helped me learn how to get out of skids, when the car is loosing traction, etc

Sometimes bigger and more powerful cars are the best way to learn.

Skip Barber would be awesome for her, if you and she has the time, might be good bonding also.

Last edited by valgs350; 07-12-08 at 04:01 PM.
Old 07-12-08, 03:59 PM
94lex83457
Lead Lap

I don't feel like ranting so just send her to skip barber or some other "school" (the best thing any parent can do for their child) for a day and buy her a civic.
Old 07-12-08, 04:03 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mpunk
Sorry dude, I don't mean to sound like a jerk but there's a couple issues with your post.

First, when you say "several years," do you mean like 2 or 10? Assuming your daughter is 14 now and will be of driving age at 16 in 2 years, even if she's been taught buy a professional driver, giving her a car with the size and power of an LS460 as her first car is, well, let's just say I wouldn't do it.

Second, you just bought, at the time, Lexus's flagship product, the most expensive (before the LSh) and powerful (before the IS-F) car Lexus has ever produced to-date at the time your car was introduced. And you're complaining that this car has too much power? What were you expecting Lexus to offer, the 204hp 2.5L V6 from the IS250 and call it the LS250 in anticipation that its customers will bequeath said sedan to their first-time driving children within a few years of purchase?

That's kind of like buying a 500hp V10 BMW M5 sedan for you and your wife, and, not wanting to spend $ on a more appropriate car for your kid, you're going to give that to your kid as a handmedown and then lament that you wish that the car had "less" power. And, if you remember earlier this year, that decision didn't fare too well for that kid who ended up dead along with his friends.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=124526

There was a post on this forum about a guy downgrading his '93 SC400 to an '07 Yaris S sedan. THAT would sound like a more appropriate car for your daughter. In fact, even that guy's '93 SC400 with its V8 would have been likely too much power for a first-time driver.

And, since we're on the subject, if my parents gave me their "used" LS460 when I first got my license, I think I would've turned out a spoiled, "gimme-gimme" brat. Despite my family's real estate holdings, businesses and political influence, I've used none of that to further myself. Sure, I resented it when my friends over at Punahou School (i.e., Barack Obama's and Michelle Wie's alma mater) had their parents buy them a $70K NEW M3 for their "sweet 16," but my parents were teaching me the value of hard work and money.

When I buy my ISF or M3, I'm going to pay for it 100% on my own, not with my trust fund.

Reading up on how Donald Trump raised his 3 kids (with ex-wife Ivana) is interesting. All he did was pay for their tuition at Wharton and they worked and scraped for the $ they needed.
http://www.amazon.com/Price-Privileg...5894709&sr=8-1

Again, I hope I'm not sounding like a critical jerk, but the issue isn't your car having too much power and heft, it's your choice of giving your car to your first-time driving daughter.
Very well said.

It isn't even remotely logical to give your daughter the LS460 based on what you think is perceived safety. According to real-world IIHS death rates by vehicle, a Chevy Astro is the safest vehicle out there. According to those same stats, someone is about 3X more likely to die in a GS or LS than in a G35.

It's entirely your business how you raise your daughter, but remember that she's still part of society. And society generally frowns up young kids being handed big, fast, expensive, flashy cars, especially as their first.

Quick Reply: Limiting the Power of the LS460