Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How does insurance work for violating any law, like running a stop sign or speeding?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-08, 01:30 AM
Sytfu_IS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How does insurance work for violating any law, like running a stop sign or speeding?

How does insurance work for violating any law, like running a stop sign or speeding? Is it pay fine and then off or fine and raise of insurance
Old 07-13-08, 05:19 AM
greg0723
Lead Lap

i got a speeding ticket last feb. got my new insurance bill in may it did not go up at all. i have geico by the way and paid the ticket on time.
Old 07-13-08, 06:55 AM
Lextasy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nooo never just pay the ticket.. ive had probably 12 tickets in the past 2 years.. none any more thanks to valentine but always always always take the defensive driving class and keep the ticket off your record, if you dont know what to do...

just go ot the court that it says on your ticket.. and tell them you want to keep it off your insurance.. they will tell you what to do
Old 07-13-08, 09:52 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 286 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Lextasy89
nooo never just pay the ticket.. ive had probably 12 tickets in the past 2 years.. none any more thanks to valentine but always always always take the defensive driving class and keep the ticket off your record, if you dont know what to do...

just go ot the court that it says on your ticket.. and tell them you want to keep it off your insurance.. they will tell you what to do
Not all jurisdictions allow the practice of using a defensive driving class to keep a ticket off of your record. This only works in counties that allow plea bargaining.
Old 07-13-08, 11:47 AM
Sytfu_IS
Lexus Champion

I see, i'm from CA, hopefully they'll let me take traffic class. They won't let you go even if you pay for the ticket right? Like they'll still raise your insurance and keep it on your record or can I get lucky and just be charged for the fine and everything's cool
Old 07-13-08, 11:56 AM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yayitscola
I see, i'm from CA, hopefully they'll let me take traffic class. They won't let you go even if you pay for the ticket right? Like they'll still raise your insurance and keep it on your record or can I get lucky and just be charged for the fine and everything's cool
They will most likely raise your rates unless you can take a traffic class for one violation every 18 months (yes for California) to have the violation removed from your record, so insurance companies will not see it. If you just pay for your violation and not take the class, insurance companies will see it and will most likely raise your rates.
Old 07-13-08, 12:01 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

In most cases,, the breakdown is like this.

You violate
Cop pulls you over
Cop's copy of ticket is handed in to his office.
Police report to DMV
DMV reports to your insurance company
Insurance company decides to raise your rate; or not.

This is normally the process with violations which are considered to be MOVING violations; ie.( speeding, running stop sign, etc). In the case of non moving violations (parking, meter, etc) just pay it. It will not show up.

If possible, try to take all MOVING violations to court to challenge in order to protect your license and possibly your insurance rates. Some states WILL let you get off with defensive driving class in lieu of having the incident reported to the insurance company. Some states, such as MD, will not. Have to check the local laws and provisions for each of your individual states.