Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Rumormill: Honda/Acura NSX, RL/Legend to get V10 with cylinder deactivation?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-09, 03:56 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

OMG, that was the picture that I first saw of the GS that made me ran to the dealer ASAP. I was never excited for any car back then until the GS debut.
Of course I wanted the 400 also, but couldn't afford it at the time (I think a $9k difference). I had to settle for 300

Like what Sicklex said, I would've looked elsewhere had they not offered a V8 300hp lexus

Back to acura, I guess they're content with not being tier I
Old 07-22-09, 05:01 PM
AD_SC3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well to throw in more confusion, What if Lexus did not give it the GS a v8 but instead gave it a 2jzgte? I am pretty sure you guys would still be here. Displacement is just another means to performance.
Old 07-22-09, 06:38 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
OMG, that was the picture that I first saw of the GS that made me ran to the dealer ASAP. I was never excited for any car back then until the GS debut.
Of course I wanted the 400 also, but couldn't afford it at the time (I think a $9k difference). I had to settle for 300

Like what Sicklex said, I would've looked elsewhere had they not offered a V8 300hp lexus

Back to acura, I guess they're content with not being tier I
I will never forget the initial brochures "Something wicked this way comes" and I will never forget seeing and hearing it for the first time. I KNEW I had to have one.

Originally Posted by Twan0690
Well to throw in more confusion, What if Lexus did not give it the GS a v8 but instead gave it a 2jzgte? I am pretty sure you guys would still be here. Displacement is just another means to performance.
THis is a good question. Japan as we know have it. Lexus knew however the AMerican/Europe markets prefer a V-8, thus the GS 400. The 2jzgte can easily be modded to go faster than a GS 400 as well.

Its a shame the 1GS never offered it here. Otherwise history might have been different.

Old 07-22-09, 07:09 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am pretty sure that this engine will be in the new integra...

Specifications
Engine Type Normally aspirated, fuel-injected, aluminum alloy V-8
Displacement 3.5 liters (213.6 cubic inches)
Valve Train Dual overhead camshaft, four valves per cylinder
Crankshaft Alloy steel, five main bearing caps
Pistons Forged aluminum alloy
Connecting Rods Machined alloy steel
Engine Management McLaren Electronics
Ignition System CDI
Lubrication Dry sump
Cooling Single water pump
Transmission Six-speed sequential, paddle-operated
Fuel 100 percent fuel-grade ethanol

http://racing.honda.com/about/engine.aspx
Old 07-22-09, 10:30 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I dont buy that Honda will be this innovative in producing a supercar. they have been pretty boring recently. I will believe it when I see it on the street or read it in a car magazine
Old 07-23-09, 06:05 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I think when Acura discontinue the NSX, they pretty gave up on being a Teir one Luxury car maker, maybe they are happy where they are being Teir two.
Old 08-13-09, 06:28 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Angry The Rumors Never End

The last time we heard anything about the Acura NSX - it pretty much made us very depressed. Rumor has it that the car will now become a “Super Hybrid Sports” model that would be powered by a 450-hp 3.5L V6 engine mated to a hybrid system. Every dream of seeing a 600-hp 5.5L V10 NSX to compete with the Nissan GT-R and the upcoming Lexus LF-A has shattered into a million pieces.

In that sense, when Honda announced last year that is shelving the NSX for good - they weren’t kidding.

According Acura’s senior manager of product development John Watts, the next NSX will be scaled down. The original NSX was “too high a halo,” Watts told CARandDRIVER. “For it to be fully effective, it couldn’t be too far removed” from Acura’s other products.

So expect the “next NSX” to have a fairly affordable price-tag and to share a platform from a current product in Acura’s lineup.

The last official word on Acura’s replacement for the NSX supercar was that the project was canned due to poor profit results at Honda as well as the poor state of the economy and auto industry in general. However, with Acura’s internal goal to reach ‘tier 1’ status in the luxury segment, a halo model like the previous NSX may just be what the brand needs.

So where does that leave the NSX replacement that has been sighted on numerous occasions lapping it up at Germany’s Nurburgring? Back in February, **** Colliver, executive vice president of American Honda Motor Co., revealed that development on the NSX replacement was “mostly done” and that it would be a quick move to market if given the green light.

Now, John Watts, Acura’s senior manager of product development, has revealed that the notion of an Acura sports car is not dead but just revised. Instead of targeting expensive supercars and performance thoroughbreds like the Ferrari F430, Nissan GT-R and upcoming Lexus LF-A, Acura is planning to release a much tamer sports car, possibly derived from one of the brand’s current platforms.

The NSX was “too high a halo,” Watts explained. “For it to be fully effective [as a halo vehicle for the brand], it couldn’t be too far removed” from Acura’s other products. This means that the new sports car will likely be priced much lower than the NSX and performance will probably more along the lines of the Nissan 370Z rather than the GT-R.

Though it’s good to hear that Acura is still planning to launch a sports model, it is somewhat sad that the world may never see the 600 horsepower V10 supercar rumored to be in the works.

Old 08-13-09, 06:44 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

WTF please dont do this. That's sabotaging the NSX's name just for sales number.

I dont mind seeing a 370z (well G37) competitor, but don't use the NSX's name.
Old 08-13-09, 01:04 PM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Apparently Acura realized the premium their brand can realistically command and made a sensible, albeit disappointing, decision.
Old 08-13-09, 01:14 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So, the new NSX will be a two-door RL.

Great!!!

Old 08-13-09, 04:59 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

I don't think that it matters how many cylinders it will have: 8, 10, 12, 16...
With the cylinder de-activation technology in place, all the cylinders above 6 will be de-activated with extreme prejudice... to the point of not being there, so you end up with v6.
Old 08-13-09, 05:51 PM
LexFather

Seriously we don't even need to post their news anymore. Its disappointment after disappointment, laughable and redundant.

Old 08-14-09, 09:40 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

It’s almost like Acura have given up making cars for enthusiast. All they want to do is make economical and sensible cars now. How boring
Old 08-14-09, 10:31 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The G Man
It’s almost like Acura have given up making cars for enthusiast. All they want to do is make economical and sensible cars now. How boring
If that's the trend, they should consider reabsorbing Acura into Honda and justify it as cost savings/restructuring.

They certainly aren't producing anything lately that interests me.
Old 08-14-09, 11:27 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IS-SV
If that's the trend, they should consider reabsorbing Acura into Honda and justify it as cost savings/restructuring.

They certainly aren't producing anything lately that interests me.
That is the best idea I have heard so far, think of all the money they will save. Acura certainly dont have a product right now in their line up that I would consider too good for the Honda brand name. As long as Acura dont bring that ugly grill over to Honda. I am all for it

Quick Reply: Rumormill: Honda/Acura NSX, RL/Legend to get V10 with cylinder deactivation?