Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My car is 45 yrs old!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-08, 11:01 PM
silvervett
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This one is 46 years old, I bought it in Idaho and had it shipped to NY a few years ago and I flat towed it to SC last year when I moved.

Old 07-16-08, 12:30 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks nice...my friend who owns two early 70's ford mavericks would be jealous, especially with a car in that condition. if you ever feel like selling it im sure he wouldnt mind buying another one!
Old 07-16-08, 05:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by AM1
looks nice...my friend who owns two early 70's ford mavericks would be jealous, especially with a car in that condition. if you ever feel like selling it im sure he wouldnt mind buying another one!
Are they Maverick Grabbers? They were nice sporty little cars.

Old 07-16-08, 07:42 AM
gottahaveit2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Congragulations. Nice old car. I learned to drive on 60's vintage cars (in, fact, for all intents and purposes, I started reviewing cars in the late 60s). They will forever be in my memories.

I can understand you upgrading tires and wheels, since many cars of that vintage had stock tire sizes that were inadequate for the size and weight (one reason why drum brakes were so poor). But why go up to 17" wheels, and the resulting modifications you had to make for wheel well and turning clearance? Most compact American cars of that era, and I think this includes the Falcon, had 6.50 X 13" tires standard. 15" wheels would probably have been fine. With the 17" wheels you may get significant speedometer and odometer error from markedly slower rotation. You would also with 15" wheels, but to a lesser extent.
Thanks for the compliments, I appreciate it. It is amazing how they stay in your memories.

Regarding the wheel size, that is the beauty of it. No modifications were done to maintain clearance, nothing was cut or damaged, and return to stock can be easily done. If I sell the car at some time, that is a key consideration. The picture you see is the car dropped with air out, so it assumes that position parked if you want it to, there are 3 presets on the controller.

At Ride Height, where it is driven, there is plenty of clearance for turning and suspension travel. Yes 13" were standard for the car from factory. The tire and wheel size I choose are set to maintain the OD of the original set up, so there is no speedometer error due to tire size, the same Plus concept we all use on our Lexus' when changing the OE 16 to 18 or 20.

Last edited by gottahaveit2; 07-16-08 at 07:52 AM.
Old 07-16-08, 07:46 AM
gottahaveit2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sleeper408
All of those cars are nice. I think the Falcon was made in my hometown of Milpitas.

I have all of you beat. Let me dig up a photo of my black Model-T Ford.
Let's see the old Ford! Milpitas, eh.. the documents show the car to be built in San Jose, CA. I would like to find any pictures of that Ford plant or even anything related to Ford in the 60's, to go along w/ the document collection I have on the car. The selling dealer was Geary Motor in San Francisco, and the buyer lived on 81 Cervantes, San Francisco, CA. I would also like a picture of that address, that would be great!
Old 07-19-08, 02:25 PM
jaydunn
Pole Position

Sweet car. Can you imagine paying $355 (modern equivalent of $58 in '63) for an AM radio with one tinny speaker? I believe that in 1963 it was still a vacuum tube set as well. Our '66 Fairlane 500 was our first Ford with a transistor set! You could actually play the radio while, umm, parked without killing the battery.
Old 07-20-08, 11:16 PM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great cars. So many closet classics here on CL.
Old 07-21-08, 04:37 AM
gottahaveit2
Lead Lap

Thanks for all the compliments and sharing your old rides. Yes a few commutes to downtown Dallas and back in 100d and rush hour w/ AM radio and no air conditioning sure makes you appreciate our Lexus' comforts!
Attached Thumbnails My car is 45 yrs old!-62408-007-s.jpg  
Old 07-21-08, 01:32 PM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gottahaveit2
Let's see the old Ford! Milpitas, eh.. the documents show the car to be built in San Jose, CA. I would like to find any pictures of that Ford plant or even anything related to Ford in the 60's, to go along w/ the document collection I have on the car. The selling dealer was Geary Motor in San Francisco, and the buyer lived on 81 Cervantes, San Francisco, CA. I would also like a picture of that address, that would be great!
Oops... Haha.... I was just joking since everyone trying to "one-up" you. Well, I know there was a plant in Milpitas where the "Great Mall of the Bay Area" is now. There was a train yard behind the old plant. They made Mustangs and other model Fords there, and I remember seeing cars inside rail cars.

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM2TPD