Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Saw My First 09' MAXIMA...

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-08, 08:34 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I saw one too I like it way better than the one it replaced.
Old 07-18-08, 08:58 AM
B Dot
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Something about that front end... The lines and curves of the car turned out great.. What the heck happened to the front..
Yea the front kills the whole car for me.
Old 07-18-08, 10:29 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Not good:

"Feel the Burn
After the Maxima Sport's fifth run through our slalom testing, the transmission decided it couldn't take the heat and defaulted into failsafe mode. The car assumed command of the manual shift gate and refused to serve up revs higher than 4,100 rpm.

All functions returned to normal once the Max had a time out and things cooled off. Given a cool transmission and a few more attempts, it's possible that the Sport's slalom speed might have edged closer to the Premium's result"

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=128626
Yet they brag it was tested (like everyone else) at the Green Hell...The maxima while better than the last one (anything was better than that) is not a 4DSC, the Nissan Skyline aka out G35 is.

Haven't seen one in person but I like it thus far in pics. Interior looks like an Infiniti.

Old 07-18-08, 10:34 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MoLexus
I hope they don't make that front end their signature.
I know the new 370z is going to have the same odd headlamps, so I think that is their new "corporate face"

I have to see it in person to truly judge though. Remember how bad we hated the 3GS when the initial pics were shown!
Old 07-18-08, 07:00 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

hated the 3GS? Really!! I would have never thought the lexus crew would have frowned on the new design. I think the 3GS is a looker with more deatiled lines than the 2GS. I am sure I am biased though. I love the way my ride looks
Old 07-18-08, 08:37 PM
no2faber
Lead Lap

saw my first one in my neighborhood today too. overall, i like it but it does come across as a mismash of a bunch of designs. I thought it was a Volvo when I first saw it from the front. not sure if that's a good 1st impression or not.
Old 07-20-08, 12:32 PM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

I've owned a 88 Maxima back in the day ( high school / college ), a 97 Maxima SE, a 95 240SX SE, and a 96 300Z, all of which I was proud to claim as mine... now, I wouldn't be caught dead driving a nissan... they have soooo fell off in my opinion,... it looks like they hired a 18 year old engineering group for exterior designs... and they look more appealing for kids who like gaudy features and non-streamlined body lines... or conflicting body designs... everytime I see a Nissan my eyes hurt... Every now and again I see a 350Z i like... but the rear end of those look stupid to me...

I do like the G35 / 37 coupes... which in my opinion should have been the 350Z, and the nissan equivalent should have never existed. The Altima 2 door couple is the fugliest remix of an oversaturated design period!

Talk about self devaluation of your own product line... .the real Z was a legend because it wasn't an ultra high production vehicle with 3 derivatives driving around at lesser price, better value...

Nissan is heading for doom!
Old 07-20-08, 12:39 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I did not like it in the pictures, but I saw one on the road yesterday, and it looks hot.
Old 07-20-08, 12:50 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Passed by a Nissan dealer and saw one. Those damn headlights look even worse in person.
Old 07-20-08, 12:54 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not feeling the front end at all. Plus this car loaded is about as expensive as a G35. Front end wise I think the new possible TL redesign (Aside from the front grill) that most here don't like looks better than the Maxima. The rear end of the Maxima is not bad at all though.
Old 07-20-08, 12:56 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I shuddered. I think it does not look good. It is almost as if they just threw a bunch of good ideas they had together without thinking about the end result.
Old 07-20-08, 01:06 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

[QUOTE=SC400Dude;3687575]I don't know about this car...I like the Maxima less and less as the years go on. QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly. I just hate the front of it. And personally I think all the curves and "waves" on the body are overkill. The interior looks loads better then the last gen which was quite pathetic.
Old 07-20-08, 03:21 PM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by D2-AUTOSPORT
I know the new 370z is going to have the same odd headlamps, so I think that is their new "corporate face"

I have to see it in person to truly judge though. Remember how bad we hated the 3GS when the initial pics were shown!
The 3GS was amazing right off the bat IMO but the Maxima's new face is nice but up to the headlight extension. It reminds me alot of the G35.
Old 07-25-08, 07:11 PM
LexFather

Saw two new white ones today. I have to day I liked it. Sides remind me of the old Oldsmobile Aurura. front end is very GT-R/Volvish and the headlights really protrude to the edges, that will take some getting used to...

The rear is nice, the LED lights are a nice touch. Overall I really liked it!

Old 07-25-08, 07:22 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

The headlights on the new Maxima says, "we as car designers have unfortunately ran out of ideas but the government requires us to put headlights on all of our vehicles. We are sorry for any inconvenience".

Quick Reply: Saw My First 09' MAXIMA...