Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

It was only a matter of time GT-R vs Z06 on the street

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-08, 11:44 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Wanna know what brute really means? Try driving a Viper.
Originally Posted by f=ma
yup yup no traction control OR cup holders

Yeah you guys are soo right. The VIPER is like a 800lb gorilla with 20" wheels! lol The coilovers really help make it a much more controllable car. It also can really be fine tuned to your liking with mods. I have a shifter kit, custom seat brackets, wheels and coilovers and mine and its a night and day difference in the driveability.

NOTHING puts a smile on your face like the torque rush of a 8.3liter motor when you floor it in any lower gear. It just simply pins you to the seat! I find myself wiping a silly grin off my face when I drive this thing.

On topic, that video is REALLY hard to see!
Old 07-18-08, 11:47 AM
TEXASMAJOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by darkdream
which GTR model was that one? if it was the base one then it was a stupid race since the z06 isn't the base model corvette...

ENOUGH SAID!
Old 07-18-08, 11:53 AM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by speedflex
Why is that? Just curious.
Probably because driving the GTR is more like a playing a PS3 game than actually driving.

Even the launch is done by computer to initiate the "perfect launch". It's not about revving up with your foot, throwing it into gear and feeling like the car is being controlled by you. It's about pressing a button, mashing the pedal, and letting the computer do the "driving".

It's a great car. I love it and would like to own one. But honestly, as an enthusiast, there's nothing like old school where the only thing the car needed to do for you was to generate power under the hood. The actual driving was up to you. Throwing it into gear, feeling the power change as you control the accelerator, feeling the tail end slip a little as you take a corner. Almost all of this is done by a computer in the GTR. Everything is "under control" which is probably why it feels as if it takes away from the driving.

IMO, the GTR is as close as you can get to being a true track racer without having to master any real techniques. It's like all the techniques have been simulated into a computer that can generate those actions for anyone who can turn a wheel and mash a pedal. Like all the reviews have said, it's really very easy to drive the GTR on the track. The car's computer really keeps everything at it's ultimate threshold as you drive the car.

If you can play a playstation, you can drive a GTR.
Old 07-18-08, 11:59 AM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

which GTR model was that one? if it was the base one then it was a stupid race since the z06 isn't the base model corvette...
There's more than one GTR model? You mean the V-Spec which is not available yet?

Do you wanna know why this race really isn't accurate? It's because of the Nissan GTR's individuality.

Each GTR is made separate from every other GTR. Each engine part, tranny, clutch, everything is made specific to each GTR. You can't swap parts from one GTR to another because it wasn't designed for that specific GTR.

Because of this individual process of build, each GTR can generate a different amount of power. For instance, you could get two different R35 GTR's that are built one after another.

The first could generate 480hp while the second could generate above 500hp. In order for the race to be accurate, you would have to know the performance statistics for each individual GTR. Not one GTR is the same as the one before.
Old 07-18-08, 12:12 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the more you learn about it, the less exciting it is.

the less passion you feel.

it is robotic. the gtr.
Old 07-18-08, 12:34 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

This makes absolutely no sense. Who cares what the base model is? The GT-R and Z06 are about the same price, so why shouldn't they be compared to each other? The GT-R is $20k more than a base Vette, how is that a valid comparison?
Old 07-18-08, 12:37 PM
emoshun
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Z06 > GTR
ZR-1 > GTR V-Spec
Old 07-18-08, 12:49 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

others have covered this part of it ... i don't want to feel like i'm driving in a game. there are ways to make things better (via technology etc) w.o making it feel fake. that doesnt mean i want a stripped out hard core sports car, if i did i wouldn't be looking at the GT-R (also thinking about the CTS-V & IS-F for the record) but i'm not buying the image ... i'm thinking a lot of people that buy this are going to be buying the image/look that goes along w. the GT-R

my other issue is the actual production of it. each one is basically an individual build, so when you need to fix something you can't just order a new what ever. it is still a nissan, not an exotic, so i'm less ok w. the probability of difficult and obsitcle filled repairs. i'm not impressed when sales people tell me how expensive and difficult it is to fix my car ... 'oh and everything has to come from this little japanese guy blah blah' ... translation: 'your car breaks, its easier to buy a new car than wait to fix this one'

then you get this little youtube vid, and fare race or not with all this extra custom/individual assembly the GT-R should do better ... but no, the GT-R basically gets it's pretty little back-side handed to it on a platter. its just one more thing to bump the GT-R down the list

i'm looking forward to a mmarshall review of the GT-R as well as my own eventual test drive
Old 07-18-08, 01:06 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ErseOne
Or doing 120 in 3rd gear in an M5 around a slight bend in Maryland!
nah, taking my crotch rocket up to 135MPH jaded me. I guess I would need a fighter jet to match that amount of acceleration.
Old 07-18-08, 01:42 PM
PetesLS400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by D2-AUTOSPORT
Yeah you guys are soo right. The VIPER is like a 800lb gorilla with 20" wheels! lol The coilovers really help make it a much more controllable car. It also can really be fine tuned to your liking with mods. I have a shifter kit, custom seat brackets, wheels and coilovers and mine and its a night and day difference in the driveability.

NOTHING puts a smile on your face like the torque rush of a 8.3liter motor when you floor it in any lower gear. It just simply pins you to the seat! I find myself wiping a silly grin off my face when I drive this thing.

On topic, that video is REALLY hard to see!

Raced a Viper and a Murcielago this past Monday night to about 160. They both got to listen to my exhaust real quick
Old 07-18-08, 01:55 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Och
This is worthless without pics....
Google bub!

Old 07-18-08, 03:37 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tofu_house
There's more than one GTR model? You mean the V-Spec which is not available yet?

Do you wanna know why this race really isn't accurate? It's because of the Nissan GTR's individuality.

Each GTR is made separate from every other GTR. Each engine part, tranny, clutch, everything is made specific to each GTR. You can't swap parts from one GTR to another because it wasn't designed for that specific GTR.

Because of this individual process of build, each GTR can generate a different amount of power. For instance, you could get two different R35 GTR's that are built one after another.

The first could generate 480hp while the second could generate above 500hp. In order for the race to be accurate, you would have to know the performance statistics for each individual GTR. Not one GTR is the same as the one before.
This can't be right. So what happens when a part fails?
Old 07-18-08, 07:00 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Faymester
i want to like the GT-R i really do, but every time i learn more about it i like it less and less
My sentiments exactly. Everyone ranted about it, but in the end it is nothing special. After you drive it you will concrete those thoughts!

GTR... Owned...
Old 07-19-08, 02:30 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pvmike1
This can't be right. So what happens when a part fails?
you have to get a new custom part i guess ... this is part of my dislike ... i can't just have a new part, i have to wait for some1 to make it to match up to my particular car ... how long do we think this takes? long enough that a GT-R can't be my DD ... pft

... this would also indicate there probably wont be much in the way of aftermarket go-faster stuff out there for it
Old 07-19-08, 05:53 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tofu_house

Where did you hear this? Please post your source.

Quick Reply: It was only a matter of time GT-R vs Z06 on the street