Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

It was only a matter of time GT-R vs Z06 on the street

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-08 | 10:28 PM
S8B
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tofu_house
There's more than one GTR model? You mean the V-Spec which is not available yet?

Do you wanna know why this race really isn't accurate? It's because of the Nissan GTR's individuality.

Each GTR is made separate from every other GTR. Each engine part, tranny, clutch, everything is made specific to each GTR. You can't swap parts from one GTR to another because it wasn't designed for that specific GTR.

Because of this individual process of build, each GTR can generate a different amount of power. For instance, you could get two different R35 GTR's that are built one after another.

The first could generate 480hp while the second could generate above 500hp. In order for the race to be accurate, you would have to know the performance statistics for each individual GTR. Not one GTR is the same as the one before.
LOL!

This one gave me a good laugh. It sounds as if you are just posting information you heard without you really knowing what you are talking about (No offense). Yes, the GTR's engine is hand made. But so is the LS7 in the Z06.

That does not mean that one VR38 could generate a difference in power as large as 20 hp from another VR38. If anything, its only a few hp from each other.

Don't always take Top Gear's word for it. When it comes down to being technical, they doesn't really know much.

For example, during the GT500's review, they stated that the GT500's 500 horsepower was inaccurate because it read 460 to the wheels on a dyno. Talk about not having a clue of how a dyno works

Old 07-21-08 | 11:20 PM
Lsportline43
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IS350jet
More than likely they misunderstood the fact that tolerances in engines are so close that some parts (main and rod bearings) must be ordered for each individual journal. The part numbers are in the catalog but in order to get the right ones, you must first get the correct numbers off the block and the numbers off of each con rod journal. Only then can you insure that you are fitting the right size bearings for a particular engine. That's as far as it goes. It's the same reason you can't buy main and rod caps separate from the block/rod. Each cap is mated and honed to a particular journal.

It's absolute nonsense that Nissan has to custom build "one off" parts to repair a GT-R.
I think I heard that somewhere before. About the tolerances and the markings on the block for the conrods and bearings. I was at garage and talking to a mechanic that rebuilt engines. He was showing me these markings and trying t explain them. I vaguely remember what he said... lol
Old 07-22-08 | 06:16 AM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skater
LOL!

This one gave me a good laugh. It sounds as if you are just posting information you heard without you really knowing what you are talking about (No offense). Yes, the GTR's engine is hand made. But so is the LS7 in the Z06.

That does not mean that one VR38 could generate a difference in power as large as 20 hp from another VR38. If anything, its only a few hp from each other.

Don't always take Top Gear's word for it. When it comes down to being technical, they doesn't really know much.

For example, during the GT500's review, they stated that the GT500's 500 horsepower was inaccurate because it read 460 to the wheels on a dyno. Talk about not having a clue of how a dyno works

We're going to have to have a day where we learn to read the thread before commenting (no offense).

I've stated it before and I'll say it again.

Are you ready? Here we go!

You're right. I'm stating what I've read and I've heard. If my sources are incorrect, I will gladly admit that I was wrong. But unless I'm proven wrong, I'll go by the information that I've gathered.

I'd like to wait and see until we get some real life numbers from these cars. GTR owners will be taking these monsters to the dyno anytime soon and we'll get to have some real numbers to work with. Let's see how this pans out.
Old 07-22-08 | 08:27 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Stock Z06 Vettes eat modded M5's & M6's for lunch.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ne0i04HegA8

Amazing machine !

The GT-R will continue to have its following in Japan.. But lets be real...The GTR does not compare to the Vette Z06 in all around real world performance.

The Top Gear & 5th Gear vids on the Z06 are classic

Top Gear
http://youtube.com/watch?v=LTuIf_5_bv4

5th Gear
http://youtube.com/watch?v=U7kGiN-rSl4
You do realize that the GTR's time of 119.7s beat the Z06's time of 122.4s around the Top Gear Test Track? How does that not compete in terms of real world performance?
Old 07-22-08 | 08:44 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

I couldn't believe how bad the GTR did. Kinda expected for it to hang a little better then it did.
Old 07-22-08 | 08:47 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 25,000

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

It also beat it around the Ring. I would agree that it is more than capable of competing against a Z06 with the Z06 having a straight line advantage and the GT-R in the twisties. Plus being a turbo a simple ECU upgrade should yield some promising results. Both are great cars and a debate between them would never end as those on both sides of the fence believe their car is superior whereas a true enthusiast would welcome the GT-R and other cars with open arms.
Old 07-22-08 | 11:31 AM
Lsportline43
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by natnut
You do realize that the GTR's time of 119.7s beat the Z06's time of 122.4s around the Top Gear Test Track? How does that not compete in terms of real world performance?
I think he understands the car is faster around the track, but in daily driving situations the Z06 will be faster. That means running on the freeway because there's not really anywhere else on public roads that the cars can compete with each other.

Meaning if you don't mean to track your car then the Z06 will be faster since you're not going to be going around twists and turns.
Old 07-23-08 | 09:25 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

"all round real world performance" doesn't only mean straight line or drag strip performance. What about mountain roads and twisties where the GTR has the advantage.

I'm not saying the one car is superior to another but to extrapolate that the Z06 has superior all round performance just from a freeway run is too sweeping a statement.