Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2009 A4- What car for $60K, Part II

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-08, 07:44 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 A4- What car for $60K, Part II

As many responded to my "What car to get for $60K" thread, the new A4 was considered except for my concerns as it being a new release and what to expect reliability-wise;that was part of my criteria. I just spoke with a client who is a long-time Audi owner (currently TT, S4 & Q7) and the new A4 has been out in Europe for almost a full year with "minimal" issues- less than the current A4. He travels to Europe twice a year to drive Audis and is himself looking at the new A4 when his S4 lease in up in January.

In addition, there is a special A4 preview tour show coming to Milwaukee in mid-August and as he's quite tight with the dealership (obviously), he asked if I'd like join him and take a couple (they will have nine total) out on the track. I've never been on a track prior to potentially purchasing a car...

As this just eliminated one of my biggest concerns (reliability), the A4 jumps back up to the top. Let's see what happens on the track <drool>...
Attached Thumbnails 2009 A4- What car for K, Part II-a4.jpg  
Old 07-18-08, 09:04 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

cool! i think the new 2.0T is going to be a beast of a 4 cylinder!
Old 07-18-08, 09:10 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 780 Likes on 546 Posts

Sounds like fun post pics if you get it !
Old 07-18-08, 09:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
cool! i think the new 2.0T is going to be a beast of a 4 cylinder!
It already is. It's probably the strongest four I've driven short of the 290-300 HP STi/Evo class.
Old 07-18-08, 09:33 AM
SilverBull
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you make the 2.0T in an Audi WRX/EVO fast?
Old 07-18-08, 10:16 AM
audi2nr
Lexus Test Driver

apr has a k04 turbo upgrade for the 2.0 4k gets you all the hardware and software and you get 323hp 335 tq i believe that is stage 2 stage 3 is the same as 2 but you get an upgraded fsi fuel pump fmic and of course software stage 3 is rated @ 382 hp 332 tq. don't ask about the tq numbers because i don't know. all this info was from their website these kits are for the a3
Old 07-18-08, 10:38 AM
DrShoe
Lead Lap

I've actually driven the new 09 Audi A4 at the Audi driving event 2 weeks ago. The car looks good with a similar design to the A5/S5 and also is a good size bigger than the outgoing B7 A4. Audi let us drive the 3.2 V6 A4 with quattro and it handles pretty well on the track we got to drive on. However, I found that the steering is not as tight as the BMW 328xi we drove as well but the 3.2 A4 had a nice exhaust growl upon takeoff.

Besides driving the new A4, I was also able to sit in a R8 for the first time ever , played with a S5 as well, and also got a chance to start up a RS4 and rev that V8.

In summary, the new A4 has grown substantially in size and I think it's the best looker in its segment among BMW, Lexus, Infiniti and Mercedes.
Old 07-18-08, 10:42 AM
LexFather

A couple things. The A4 has leaped in size, from 180 inches to nearly 186 inches, its a lot bigger now which is a good/bad thing. I think in this case, good for you. (the next A3 will grow in size)
I've seen it in person and the shape is just way to Audi bland to me. It looks like ANY Audi the past 10 years. The rear window line tapers at the end and gives it a very feminine look. You HAVE to get the S-line or sport pack with the wheels (like in your pic).

That being said, reviews in Europe have been okay at best getting 3.5 out of 5 stars. They just say the same thing "nice but we want the S4/RS 4". Seems it doesn't really beat the competition anywhere but its a very solid car overall with no major flaws.

Good luck.

Old 07-18-08, 11:08 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DrShoe
I've actually driven the new 09 Audi A4 at the Audi driving event 2 weeks ago. The car looks good with a similar design to the A5/S5 and also is a good size bigger than the outgoing B7 A4. Audi let us drive the 3.2 V6 A4 with quattro and it handles pretty well on the track we got to drive on. However, I found that the steering is not as tight as the BMW 328xi we drove as well but the 3.2 A4 had a nice exhaust growl upon takeoff.

Besides driving the new A4, I was also able to sit in a R8 for the first time ever , played with a S5 as well, and also got a chance to start up a RS4 and rev that V8.

In summary, the new A4 has grown substantially in size and I think it's the best looker in its segment among BMW, Lexus, Infiniti and Mercedes.
Yep, I like the look too... and outperforming MB while a little plusher inside than BMW... a good driver can make up a lot of the difference <wink,wnik>... looking forwad to the drive, hopefully they have an S4 as well... ehhh, if I even sit in the R8... divorce...... cuz I know I'll want one!!!
Old 07-18-08, 11:10 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DrShoe

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Yep, I like the look too... and outperforming MB while a little plusher inside than BMW... a good driver can make up a lot of the difference <wink,wnik>... looking forwad to the drive, hopefully they have an S4 as well... ehhh, if I even sit in the R8... divorce...... cuz I know I'll want one!!!
Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
A couple things. The A4 has leaped in size, from 180 inches to nearly 186 inches, its a lot bigger now which is a good/bad thing. I think in this case, good for you. You HAVE to get the S-line or sport pack with the wheels (like in your pic).

....S4/RS 4". Seems it doesn't really beat the competition anywhere but its a very solid car overall with no major flaws.

Good luck.
Yes, yes, and yes... and THANKS!!! I'll post the drive (and pics if possible) come mid-August... sorry for double post
Old 07-18-08, 11:57 AM
DrShoe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
They actually had the keys to that R8 in the car and I was just going through possible prison scenarios in my head but decided the cons outweighed the pros. They had maybe 10 R8s inside their storage, all with Michigan plates so I guess those are for people to drive in other performance events.
Old 07-18-08, 12:00 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

damn good choice!

definitely need the S-line pkg as previsouly stated...RS4 wheels are awesome!

I personally think the 09 A4 looks great...clean...aggressive....sporty....classy.

LED running lights

the engine choices are a little outdated as far as HP goes but for great MPG the 2.0T is excellent!! besides, that's why there will be an S4/RS4.

Last edited by bagwell; 07-18-08 at 12:07 PM.
Old 07-18-08, 01:24 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bagwell

damn good choice!

definitely need the S-line pkg as previsouly stated...RS4 wheels are awesome!

I personally think the 09 A4 looks great...clean...aggressive....sporty....classy.

LED running lights

the engine choices are a little outdated as far as HP goes but for great MPG the 2.0T is excellent!! besides, that's why there will be an S4/RS4.
Man I'm liking that second picture... wheels rock!!! It's gotta be the S-package agreed!! I hope they have the 2.0T to test... if it "runs" I think I'm sold....
Old 07-18-08, 06:42 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverBull
Can you make the 2.0T in an Audi WRX/EVO fast?
you can make it WRX fast, but won't be able to touch an Evo anytime soon without extensive turbo mods. I have some dyno plots of the 2.0T somewhere, but imho it lacks a lot of punch.