Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is the X6 Selling?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-08, 09:12 AM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If I were to compete with my neighbors I would not buy an X6! I would want something that looked better than their garbage can
Old 07-20-08, 09:12 AM
Trexus
Forum Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by whoster
Sorry.

It is a traded company.

www.bmwgroup.com has all investor relations and stock info.
BMW's stock is not traded on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) unless you can prove me otherwise.

It's traded on the Frankfurt stock exchange. Most of the controlling shares are owned by one family. There will be a few investors that own some common stock but these are the folks at the bottom of the owership of the company.

So it is traded just not on NYSE and as I've said most of the controlling shares are owned by one family...

Oh yeah, I have seen one X6 on the streets of Monrovia/Arcadia. It looked pretty decent in person. It was green in color...
Old 07-20-08, 09:33 AM
KINGLEX
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus
BMW's stock is not traded on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) unless you can prove me otherwise.

It's traded on the Frankfurt stock exchange. Most of the controlling shares are owned by one family. There will be a few investors that own some common stock but these are the folks at the bottom of the owership of the company.

So it is traded just not on NYSE and as I've said most of the controlling shares are owned by one family...

Oh yeah, I have seen one X6 on the streets of Monrovia/Arcadia. It looked pretty decent in person. It was green in color...
it's nice to see a reply morph right before our eyes.
Old 07-20-08, 09:36 AM
jackblack7
Pole Position

You're not making a lot of sense. Just because it's not traded on the NYSE doesn't mean it's not a publicly traded company. Microsoft and Google aren't traded on the NYSE either. NYSE isn't the only game in town, and certainly isn't the only game in the world. If it's traded on the Frankfurt stock exchange, then it is a publicly traded company and must comply with the rules of the exchange.
Old 07-20-08, 09:51 AM
KINGLEX
Driver

Also, if you are referring to the Quandt family, then here is the breakdown:

Johanna Bruhn (widow) 16.7%
Stefan Quandt (son) 17.4%
Susanne Klatten (daughter) 12.5%

-King Bimmer formerly known as King Lex
Old 07-20-08, 11:16 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jackblack7
You're not making a lot of sense. Just because it's not traded on the NYSE doesn't mean it's not a publicly traded company. Microsoft and Google aren't traded on the NYSE either. NYSE isn't the only game in town, and certainly isn't the only game in the world. If it's traded on the Frankfurt stock exchange, then it is a publicly traded company and must comply with the rules of the exchange.
BMW is a privately owned company in that they do what they want and answer to no one, BMW controls the majority of the company, that would be 51% of any stock
Old 07-20-08, 12:49 PM
babyGS3
Lexus Champion

We have 1 more x6 at the dealership i work at. I actually think it has been sold already as we speak. I can attest that these DID fly off the shelf.

I have always criticized the look and functionality of this car. Still i have to admit it kinda grew on me. Looking at it every day, I wouldn't describe it as "hideous" but rather "odd looking" ... nice face but booty kinda "eh". Inside is beautiful.

I still consider this the "i got more money than you" SUV and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.
Old 07-20-08, 01:28 PM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by babyGS3
I still consider this the "i got more money than you" SUV and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.
But they are not even that expensive really at $50k. They are not cheap but it is certainly not a Ferarri in terms of exclusivity. Lexus, Land Rover, Mercedes, Cadillac, Porsche etc. all of SUV's that are plenty more expensive.
Old 07-20-08, 01:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
I understand your enthusiasm for your new vehicle but NO ONE can deny the facts I posted. Everything else in this thread is
-I saw
-my side of town has
-I haven't seen
-I have one

Which cannot be the basis for how well it has sold.
It is also a fact, Mike, (at least to some extent) what I posted about its timing and introduction. While, yes, having Ultimate Driving Machine engineering like all BMW's, the company, unfortunately, turned a brand-new, fairly large, heavy, and expensive niche-styled SUV loose into a market with record-high gas prices, no diesel option here like in Europe, increasingly difficult auto loans, and a number of other problems, that, right now, are working against its sales.

This vehicle, no matter how you look at it (and I agree with your comments above that you seem to have looked at it in the right way), is simply not going to have Camry/Accord sales numbers.

If I have the spare time with my other planned reviews, I might review one, though, just for curiosity, if local Bimmer shops keep any in stock.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-20-08 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-20-08, 01:54 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by EDGE2
BMW is a privately owned company in that they do what they want and answer to no one, BMW controls the majority of the company, that would be 51% of any stock
Correct here. Hell they ADVERTISE "an independent company".

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It is also a fact, Mike, (at least to some extent) what I posted about its timing and introduction. While, yes, having Ultimate Driving Machine engineering like all BMW's, the company, unfortunately, turned a brand-new, fairly large, heavy, and expensive niche-styled SUV loose into a market with record-high gas prices, no diesel option here like in Europe, increasingly difficult auto loans, and a number of other problems, that, right now, are working against its sales.

This vehicle, no matter how you look at it (and I agree with your comments above that you seem to have looked at it in the right way), is simply not going to have Camry/Accord sales numbers.
Yup, about 3 years too late.

Old 07-20-08, 01:59 PM
vboy418
Lexus Champion

I have not seen one X6 here in Jacksonville YET.
Old 07-20-08, 02:03 PM
jackblack7
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
Correct here. Hell they ADVERTISE "an independent company".

No, that's not correct. We were discussing whether BMW is publicly or privately owned. It's publicly owned. There's no debate about that.
Old 07-20-08, 02:07 PM
KINGLEX
Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall

If I have the spare time with my other planned reviews, I might review one, though, just for curiosity, if local Bimmer shops keep any in stock.
BMW's accord/camry is called a 3 series and it is at twice the price of those cars. I think people are looking at this car in the wrong light. they have an X3, X5, and soon to be X1. This car is a niche small volume take on the X5. I always like the X5, but would never buy one. I needed a little more extra room than a sedan, and didn't want a 5 door. I happened to like spirited driving and after one test drive of the X6 I bought one. Other cars I looked at were the Cayenne, and Range Rover Sport. The Range is the only other vehicle that came close and they were practically giving it to me. It would have been 10k less than the X6.

-King Bimmer formerly King Lex
Old 07-20-08, 02:08 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by jackblack7
No, that's not correct. We were discussing whether BMW is publicly or privately owned. It's publicly owned. There's no debate about that.
Oh gotcha. I agree

Old 07-20-08, 02:31 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This vehicle is selling like hot cakes in NYC thats for sure.. It gets a great deal of attention in Manhattan.. Vid of it in action.. No body roll folks

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BuDt0MImDeU&feature=related

Quick Reply: Is the X6 Selling?