Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Drove a manual.......................... epic fail

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-08, 10:50 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I don't care for a manual in heavy traffic, but all other situations, it's fun. But I wouldn't want a stick on a very powerful car because well, it's hard not to be jerky and basically there really isn't any point.

And trannies like DSG even have a performance advantage over a manual anyway.

My Miata's not a rocket (although being so light it's not slow), and I really enjoy the manual shifting which I can keep pretty smooth.
Ya know, I've driven a few powerful MT cars and been able to shift relatively smoothly. However, part of my dislike for my dad's 330xi is that you can't perform a smooth shift in that car. It always jerks you around. Perhaps this is due to the x drive?
Old 07-20-08, 11:19 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 430 Likes on 299 Posts

BMW since the mid 90s has used this stupid CDV (Clutch Delay Valve) in their 3, 5, 6, and Z-series manual tranny's...

Because of this valve, no matter how quickly you lift your foot off the clutch pedal, the clutch engages the flywheel at a constant (slow) rate. In theory, it can save the driveline from shock, were an inexperienced (or immature) driver to dump the clutch at high RPM. But in practice, all it does is prematurely wear out the clutch and turn experienced drivers into people who, despite 20 years of practice, cannot shift gears smoothly. During parallel parking maneuvers, the delay can be infuriating, causing constant clutch slippage. And during hard acceleration, the large amount of clutch slippage can greatly shorten the life of your clutch. During normal, sedate driving, the shift from first into second gear is often jerky, leading passengers to question your skill. As the driver, you can see your passengers' heads bobbing back and forth during every shift! Yes, in their minds, they are laughing at you.
Very common mod with BMW manual transmissions since the E36 is to either modify or remove altogether this stupid-**** valve.