Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: loaded c or sport 3?
Loaded c300
34.78%
sport package 328 coupé
65.22%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

c300 fully loaded vs. 328 coupé sport package

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-08, 06:33 PM
harut44
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default c300 fully loaded vs. 328 coupé sport package

Hey guys,

here is the situation, I'm looking to purchase/lease one of the two vehicles above. The c300 is loaded p1, multimedia package and panaramic (sp?) sunroof whereas the 328 coupé just has sports package and an auto tranny.

I don't care for back seat room so thats not something to consider. Now they we about the same price 40k for both and their lease rates are about the same +- $15 a month. Which would you choose? I really can't make a decision.

My friends and family, for the most part, say c300 but I'm leaning towards the 3. When I lookback at it though the c300 is a pretty good car too but I just can't make up my mind. I am into driving so the 3er would suit better as far as the driving needs go but the c class is also fully loaded.

Any comments you all can give are appreciated because I just can't make up my mind. Thanks!
Old 07-21-08, 09:22 PM
vboy418
Lexus Champion

I love my C300. I got mine in red and it stands out! It feels just like my IS300 but a lil quicker. You will love it. I also looked at the 328 but never liked in interior of a bmw. GL
Old 07-21-08, 09:23 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

im having the same problem with the C350 vs IS350.

so im biased but i say the C300.

reasons:
1) new body style fo 2008 versus 3 year old 3 series style
2) i feel the merc looks better, specially in sport version
3) multimedia package has 4bg of harddrive
Old 07-21-08, 11:59 PM
harut44
Driver

thanks for the replies guys. The front of the C class looks very aggressive and very nice but the back of the car really kills it. The back is alright but it really does look like a Hyundai or something, I can't really point it to something specific. The three all around looks great and will give you more performance. I really can't decide but poll, as of now, shows the 3 as the winner.

The more replies the better . Keep 'em comin!!

Thanks!
Old 07-22-08, 04:55 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

One of my friend's mothers has a brand new C300, and I am of the opinion this is a better vehicle than the 328. Handles and rides a lot better. You have to take it into certain situations to really see that the C300 can handle better, but it's one of the few times recent memory that I have favored a Mercedes over a BMW, at least in this direct comparison.
Old 07-22-08, 10:42 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

I like the Mercedes C200 CDI (I work in Germany) I am currently issued with. The performance is fine for Europe (it's not a very fast car) but what I really like about it is the way it can morph from a luxury car into a sporty car at the blink of an eye. That means it is very comfortable and also can be driven in a sporty manor with the car easily coping. Long distance driving are a joy. In early June my girlfriend and I drove down from Stuttgart to Northern Italy and we didn't even have to get out and stretch as much because the seats were very comfortable and supportive and the suspension was simply very pleasant. Being a base C200 CDI, the car is also very frugal on diesel fuel.

By the way, I am biased.

Oh, and here are some older pictures of her (you can tell from the weather). A base model C200 CDI in classic trim. Classic trim is is a "stripped down" version of the higher end trims available in America. This mainly applies to the exterior though.

Last edited by DustinV; 07-22-08 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-22-08, 10:50 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't believe there are so many votes for the new C. My roomate's gf has one and quite honestly, I hate it.

The exterior is sharp with the sport package, but the interior of the car is just as vomit inducing in person as in pictures. Cheap, brittle black plastic and a sea of little buttons...it just looks awful. Not that BMW interiors are much to write home about but I would take the 3 over a C class on that fact alone...infact I'd probably have a 328 over the C350.

I also prefer the looks and character of the 3, and I still just dont trust Mercedes quality. BMW is sketchy enough, but MB is far below that IMO.
Old 07-22-08, 11:01 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
The exterior is sharp with the sport package, but the interior of the car is just as vomit inducing in person as in pictures. Cheap, brittle black plastic and a sea of little buttons...it just looks awful. Not that BMW interiors are much to write home about but I would take the 3 over a C class on that fact alone...infact I'd probably have a 328 over the C350.
I drive a C class and the interior is far from cheap. Spartan and boring maybe, but not cheap. There's a big difference between a "cheap interior" and a "boring interior". At the end of the day there is so little interior material difference between the cars in this class that it all comes down to visual presentation. Having spent some time in the new Audi A4, I can very well claim that the interior materials of the Audi A4 are exactly the same as those of the C class. The only difference is that Audi does a better job of visually presenting their interior with chrome strips here and there and a more adventurous design. Also, the Lexus IS interior isn't much different from its German competitors. The Germans are fond of black matt plastic while Lexus is fond of the same quality plastics, but colored in silver. The result? The Lexus IS interior looks visually more expensive and lively than that of the C class but they're more or less exactly the same in quality and material quality.

Also, the alignment and workmanship of my C200 CDI interior are top notch in my book. My sister has an IS250 back in Maryland and both it and my C class interior feel premium and upscale. I wouldn't say one interior is better than the other, they're just presented differently from a visual point of view. Lexus and Audi wanted to be colorful and daring, Mercedes wanted to be conservative.

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I also prefer the looks and character of the 3, and I still just dont trust Mercedes quality. BMW is sketchy enough, but MB is far below that IMO.
The new C class has done very well in quality and reliability surveys. There was a recent study in the UK and W204 C class owners praised the car.

In fact, I believe that Mercedes has done very well as a whole in recent quality surveys in both Europe and the United States.
Old 07-22-08, 01:22 PM
Mixman
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would take the C300 but the interior does feel cheep, especially for a Mercedes. What's up with the cheap plastic temperature dials ? I am sure in time those will come off. The interior of the BMW is a little more stark but I think the quality is better. But what wins is the overall presence and I think the C300 wins there. As a matter of fact if the C350 had a better engine and they added a few more luxury items like backup camera, keyless go, I would even consider it as my next car.
Old 07-22-08, 01:37 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You would be pleased with the 328ci sport pack. This car is no slug & the coupe styling is miles ahead of the Chrysler Sebring inspired C300 I had an opportunity to test out the C300 at the C class driving event last year (thread about the event is on here somewhere). Horrible driving experience & no passion imo. Test drive both and you will find out rather quickly the differences between the two.
Old 07-22-08, 01:40 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Twins

Old 07-22-08, 02:15 PM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

There was a C300 parked next to me at lunch today. I've seen them on the road before but not up close. I agree with the OP that the front looks very aggressive and I liked it a lot. But the rear is disappointing IMO. It almost looks like the rear design belongs to another car and it doesn't flow quite well with the rest of the car.

The 3 coupe on the other hand looks very nice overall. I have a friend who has one and it handles very well, as expected. Although I am not fond of its interior, this would be my choice. Even a fully-loaded C300 would be enough to sway my decision.
Old 07-22-08, 02:42 PM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

My pick would be the 328 coupe. I really like the stlying of the coupe along with the steering and handling of the 3 series in general.
Old 07-23-08, 06:17 AM
harut44
Driver

lol at the Sebring.

The first thing I said when I sat in the car, I though this plasticy interior reminds me too much of my Camry. The cheap plastic temperature dials are ridiculous. I sat in an SL at the dealer and it had the same ones. I find that very dissapointing.

I have driven both cars and the 3 drives A LOT better than the C class does. The c class has a lighter steering wheel, and I agree with the poster above that it would be more forgiving on longer drives.

The BMW's interior is plain but for some reason I find it to be quite nice. The pop up nav, on the other hand, is very cool and fun to navigate through. I'm leaning towards the three and the poll seems to jusitfy it.

I'm going to do another test drive before I decide, but a decision needs to be made before the end of next week.

Thank you all for your replies! Anybody else have some first hand experience with both cars¿
Old 07-23-08, 12:08 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

i like the look of the C300 (reminds me of my 1IS for sure) but when I went and sat in one at a MB dealership i was completely underimpressed by the interior ... mostly the steering wheel feel ... which is the ONLY reason i voted for the bimmer ... if you're ok w. the steering wheel then i pick the C300

Quick Reply: c300 fully loaded vs. 328 coupé sport package