Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2009 Chevrolet Aveo 2LT Hatchback

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-08, 05:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by tuan92129
Wow, the interior actually looks pretty upscale compared to the previous interior, although I would be embarrassed to sit in a cheap car like that with FAKE wood trim
Well, real wood or not, there is nothing cheap about that interior. And the brushed-aluminum and chrome with it is not the usual dime-store GM stuff either.

However, this proves something I've been saying for years. Entry-level cars don't have to have cheap interiors. This car proves that companies can do it for a low price (in this case, 15-18K). The problem is that too many companies choose to do their cost-cutting there. Of course, with this car, the profits are made elsewhere......small wheels/tires, 4-speed automatic instead of 5, etc.....
Old 07-22-08, 05:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JLSC4
True. I find it silly for cars like this to have fake wood trim in them. It's trying to be something its not.
This car, however, inside, does more than try. It succeeds. See my reply to tuan92129 above.

Go see the car for yourself...especially the 2LT model with /beige-wood interior, sit in it, compare the "fake" wood and brushed-metal/chrome with that of any other small entry-level car. I'm sure there's a Chevy dealer new you.....they are all over the place.

Of course, like I said, this car is not for everyone. The chassis and drivetrain lags considerably behind the interior. This is basically an economy, commuter, and Church-on-Sunday car for easy driving.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-22-08 at 05:35 AM.
Old 07-22-08, 05:43 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,405 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Originally Posted by tuan92129
Wow, the interior actually looks pretty upscale compared to the previous interior, although I would be embarrassed to sit in a cheap car like that with FAKE wood trim
I wouldn't. I'd rather some attractive fake wood and some actual details than an acre of featureless black plastic.

Old 07-22-08, 11:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Next planned review, by request: 2009 Acura TL. Still waiting, though........that car has not been released yet in the DC area. I may do some more unplanned reviews in the meantime.
Old 07-22-08, 12:35 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ok, $18K for an Aveo???

fake wood or not, that's crazy (even if GM discounts it $5000).

In a car like this, I'd rather not see it try so hard to be luxury when its sole purpose is basic transportation. Its an option anyway, so no big deal.

Last edited by bagwell; 07-24-08 at 05:28 AM.
Old 07-22-08, 02:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
ok, $18K for an Aveo???

fake wood or not, that's crazy (even if GM discounts it $5000).

In a car like this, I'd rather not see if try so hard to be luxury when its sole purpose is basic transportation. Its an option anyway, so no big deal.
Aveos are available for much less than 18K, but remember.....you get what you pay for (see the first part of my review).
Old 07-22-08, 02:33 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 746 Likes on 516 Posts

Thanks for the review mmarshall. The interior looks really good! Especially when you compare them to the Yaris and Versa. I might have to hold off on buying that Yaris until I can test one of these.
Old 07-22-08, 02:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Allen K
Thanks for the review mmarshall. The interior looks really good! Especially when you compare them to the Yaris and Versa. I might have to hold off on buying that Yaris until I can test one of these.
Sure....anytime That's primarily why I do these reviews. They are done to evaluate the car, see what you get for your money, and help you guys decide if it is the right car for you or not.
Old 07-22-08, 05:37 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Thanks M. I didnt get a chance to read it all, just skim through. How do you like it compared to the HHR?? Reason I asked, I had to rent one for a trip from LA to Vegas and it was such an unpleasant drive. Gutless engine, heavy, horrible gas mileage, and a **** poor interior with craptastic ergonomics. But it sure did swallow up some luggage.

The interior on the new Aveo looks top notch for such a cheap car. to GM.
Old 07-22-08, 07:43 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Remember guys that this interior trim pictured above is for an overpriced Aveo ($18.5K is absurd). Below is what most Aveo's will be sold as. Notice the all dark plastic look that people criticise the Yaris for.
Attached Thumbnails Review: 2009 Chevrolet Aveo 2LT Hatchback-0802_06_c-2009_chevrolet_aveo_three_door-interior_view.jpg  
Old 07-22-08, 07:52 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

A two tone Yaris is a bit more interesting (the one I have). I personally like the simplicity of the design. It just looks clean and uncluttered.
Attached Thumbnails Review: 2009 Chevrolet Aveo 2LT Hatchback-yaris-sedan.jpg  
Old 07-22-08, 08:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GFerg
Thanks M. I didnt get a chance to read it all, just skim through. How do you like it compared to the HHR?? Reason I asked, I had to rent one for a trip from LA to Vegas and it was such an unpleasant drive. Gutless engine, heavy, horrible gas mileage, and a **** poor interior with craptastic ergonomics. But it sure did swallow up some luggage.

The interior on the new Aveo looks top notch for such a cheap car. to GM.
Yes, I agree the HHR is a POS.....but I personally like its looks.

Pictures of the Aveo 2LT's interior is one thing, but you have to see and feel it in person to really appreciate it.
Old 07-22-08, 08:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Remember guys that this interior trim pictured above is for an overpriced Aveo ($18.5K is absurd). Below is what most Aveo's will be sold as. Notice the all dark plastic look that people criticise the Yaris for.

I tried to make it clear in the review that the base Aveo's interior is a long way from the superb trim of the 2LT. I also drove a 2008 El Cheapo base model with manual everything, a tinny stereo, and no A/C....listed at a miserly $10,900.
Old 07-23-08, 01:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

A two tone Yaris is a bit more interesting (the one I have). I personally like the simplicity of the design. It just looks clean and uncluttered.

That's the problem. Center-stack designs like that, IMO, are TOO clean and uncluttererd right behind the steering wheel, where your eyes naturally fall to check the gauges. It requires a conscious shift to the right to look at anything, which just doesn't come naturally to most people.

Some automakers claim this is done specifically for the driver; that it is easier and less distracting to shift one's eyes to the right (or left) then to glance down, and that with the gauge package in the middle of the dash, the steering wheel rim can't hide it. I'll accept the part about the rim not being able to hide it, but the rest of it is a bunch of B.S. It is simple cost-cutting ($$$$$)......because with the center-gauge dash, it is easier to produce both left and right-have drive versions for various different countries.
Old 07-23-08, 01:48 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I don't know who thought center mounted guages was a good idea.

Quick Reply: Review: 2009 Chevrolet Aveo 2LT Hatchback