Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2009 Chevrolet Aveo 2LT Hatchback

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-08, 07:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Review: 2009 Chevrolet Aveo 2LT Hatchback

A Review of the 2009 Chevrolet Aveo 2LT 5-door Hatchback.

http://autos.aol.com/cars-Chevrolet-Aveo-2009/overview

(I posted AOL's 2009 Chevy Aveo site because Chevy and GM have not (yet) updated the official Chevrolet Aveo site.....they still have the 2008 site and brochures).

(Some of these images are not exact 2009 replicas, but the closest ones available....2009 Aveo interior and underhood images are hard to find).

In a Nutshell: A classy way (in 2LT version) to save gas, but with mediocre road manners.....not a car for spirited drivers.

OK, guys, before you start laughing, I went out today to check out the latest Chevy Aveos today for a reason. I'm well aware that it is a classic non-enthusiast's car, and to some extent, is just basic transportation. And, yes, the last one I drove, several years ago, was a noisy, crude, rough-riding, ill-handling POS. But Chevy (and Korean manufacturer Daewoo, who actually builds it) have had several years to refine and improve the car, and I saw some very pleasant surprises today....especially on the reviewed model, the new 2009 2LT.

Today's review, and write-up, ended up somewhat different from what I had planned this morning. The ultra-high price of gas, of course, has made small, inexpensive cars more attractive to American consumers, and the Aveo, as crude as past versions were, is sometimes overlooked by entry-level car shoppers. It doesn't get much attention from the auto press, either, and is often overshadowed by cars like the Honda Fit, Toyota Yaris, Scion xA/xD, Hyundai Accent, and Kia Rio. As a result, demand for it has not been huge, they sometimes sit on lots, and Chevy salespeople might give you a good deal on an Aveo that is much harder to get at a Toyota or Honda shop.

So, to see how a new base-level Aveo tests out, and to see if it is a credible alternative to more popular entry-level cars, I hopped in my Outback this morning to buzz on down to one of the largest Chevy/Chrysler dealerships on the East Coast (fortunately just a couple of miles away). Even at this huge dealership, only one really base model was available.....a blue late-model 2008 model with dark gray cloth interior. The term "Base", in this case, meant EXACTLY what it said......about as El Cheapo-stripped as you could get nowadays and still be street-legal. It was a 5-speed manual, drum brakes in back, hand-cranked windows, manual-lock doors, the tinniest-sounding stock auto stereo I've heard in years, and...in Washington's 90-degree heat......no air conditioning, though there was a $50 "Air Conditioning Provision) charge on the sticker. Even so, the list price, including freight, was an astoundingly low $10,945. Chevy isn't kidding when they say the base Aveo is the lowest-priced new car in America.

However, upon inspecting this car, I really didn't want to waste time test-driving it, as it was so devoid of (by today's standards) even minimal creature comforts, more so than I expected, that I could think of few people who would actually want to purchase or lease it as a new car.....in most cases, the same money would buy a nicer used car. At the same time, I noticed that the dealership had some FAR nicer upmarket 2009 Aveo Hatchbacks in stock. I did briefly test-drive the El Strippo car, though, at the dealer's invitation.....they wanted be to compare both the old stripper to the nicer new models (More likely, just take it off their hands). Needless to say, I wasn't impressed with it, though Chevy has managed to tone down the noisy old engine's droning and chuffling somewhat since I last drove one. I had to keep the windows down most of the time to keep from suffocating, rolling them up only briefly to test road/wind noise at cruise. The 5-speed was clunky-feeling (though the clutch was nice), had long throws, had the typically uncomfortable Chevy ball-type shift handle. Handling, steering, and brakes were all marginal, and with the 5-speed, acceleration was barely adequate. So that's about all I'll say about it.....I didn't feel there was a need to write up a long review of it, as few people would actually want to buy this car, especially since the dealership said they couldn't install air conditioning. It's cars like this that make us realize how spoiled we are with modern automotive creature-comforts.

Such, however, was not the case with the two 2009 2LT 5-door Hatchbacks in stock.....a beautiful teal blue-green one with beige leather/wood-tone, chrome, and brushed-aluminum trim inside, and a maroon one with gray leather/ chrome/brushed-metal trim. I took one look...and feel.....inside these cars, especially the blue/green one, and "DAMN" was the first word that came to my mind. I mean, the fit/finish and trim quality on these cars was unbelievable, especially for an Aveo....it put some luxury cars to shame. GM has REALLY upgraded the interior and trim on the upmarket versions.......more on that below.

New for 2009, Aveos are offered in LS (base), 1LT, and 2LT versions, in 5-door hatchback or 4-door sedan body styles, GM and Chevy not having seen fit to bring the 3-door hatchback to U.S. shores yet. All versions have a 1.6L ECOTEC four and a choice of 5-speed manual or 4-speed automatics. My tested car was, as noted, a 2LT 5-door hatchback. Like I said above, the interior and overall fit/finish of this car hit me like a ton of bricks. Of course, they invited me to test-drive the 2009, and so I quietly handed the keys to El Cheapo back, took the keys to the 2LT and a dealer tag, checked engine fluids and tire pressure like I always do, and off I went. It was a mini-luxury car, looks-wise, but otherwise was ho-hum, with rather mediocre road manners.....details to follow.

(and, of course, this car didn't cost less than $11,000 either, like El Cheapo)

Model Reviewed: 2009 Chevrolet Aveo 2LT 5-door Hatchback

Base Price: $14,860

Major Options:

Automatic transmission: $925

Power sunroof: $725

Rear spoiler: $225

Antilock brake system: $440

15" aluminum alloy wheels: $350

Leather seats: $375

1-year On-Star service: N/C

Destination/Freight: $660

List price as reviewed: $18,560

Drivetrain: FWD, transversely-mounted, 1.6L ECOTEC DOHC in-line four, 107 HP @ 6400 RPM, Torque 106 Ft-lbs.@ 3800 RPM, 4-speed automatic transmission with gear-hold feature.

EPA Mileage Ratings: 24 City, 34 Highway

Exterior Color: Tahiti Green

Interior: Neutral (Beige) Leather/Woodtone Trim

PLUSSES:

Luxury-car worthy interior trim, especially in beige/wood model.

Exellent paint job.

Nice, perky, non-funeral home paint colors.

Well-laid out underhood access.

Long GM 5/100 powertrain warranty.

Typically GM strong air-conditioning.

Relatively sponge-free brakes.

Stereo much better than on base model.

Slick, precise-operating buttons, *****, and controls.

Good headroom, front and rear, even with sunroof.

Clear, easy-to-read gauges.

Good noise isolation for a small hatchback.

Relatively smooth ride for a car this size.

Relative obscurity could mean some good deals.

Uses regular 87-octane gas.

MINUSES:

Get that 2009 Aveo webite and brochure done, Chevy.

Not many cars in dealer stock.

Sluggish, snail-like powertrain.

Relatively slow steering response.

Roly-Poly handling.

Small rear drum brakes.

Flat, unsupportive seats.

Short hatchback cargo area.

Tight rear-seat legroom.

Confusing audio on-off system.

Lower-front dash can bump knees.

EXTERIOR:

Though the 2009 model is somewhat redesigned, there is no mistaking it, as you walk up to it, for any other car.....it is instantly identifiable as an Aveo. The new grille is somewhat different, having been expanded into an Audi-like shape with a big Chevy-type horizontal split/bar and gold bow-tie emblem. The grille insert itself is flat-black plastic and gives a mildly sporty look...yes, on a distinctly non-sporty car. I'm not a fan of the car's overall shape....the short rear overhang and shape of the hatchback give it, IMO, a rather awkward look....but that, of course, is a subjective opinion, and I didn't list that as a MINUS. The fairly low ground clearance means watching it, of course, over some ramps and speed bumps/humps.

The exterior sheet metal is lightweight steel but has a fairly substantial feel....more so than some other small cars. Doors, hood, and hatch lid are precision-hung and close fairly solidly. The paint job was far above the average for a small car.....about even with the notoriously good Toyota/Scion paint jobs. I also liked the choice of paint colors, which, unlike many vehicles today, did not remind you of Murphy's Funeral Home.....Chevy offers bright blue, red, sun-yellow, sunset orange, and a stunning light/medium teal color called Tahiti Green, in addition to the usual dull silvers and grays. (I'm one of these guys who doesn't believe that bright and distinctive colors need to be confined to sport-oriented vehicles).

Exterior trim/hardware was well-done, solid, and of high quality (better than average for a GM car). The rear wiper arm was well-designed and swung out enough for the blade insert to be easily replaced (not all rear wiper-arms are like that).

UNDERHOOD:

Lift the steel but relatively lightweight hood, and a rod (acceptable in a car of this class) swings down from the underhood snap and props the hood into place. A nice underhood insulation cushion helps absorb engine noise. The engine and transmission are well-laid out in the small but efficient engine compartment, with room to reach many engine components and accessories. The conventional GM Delco battery (no more side terminals) is right up front, uncovered, to the right of the engine block, where it is easily acccessed. Dipsticks are Right up front, clearly marked, and easily accessable (the yellow oil dipstick in my test car was somewhat to the left of the one shown in the picture above, but otherwise the shot is virtually identical). Fluid containers/reservoirs and the brake master cylinder, likewise, are easily accessable.

INTERIOR:

The superlative interior trim was, by a huge margin, easily the car's best feature......nothing else even came close. This, IMO, is even more amazing when you consider that past Aveos (and even some of the newer base ones) were stark enough inside to make military Jeeps look plush. It is obvious that GM strongman Bob Lutz gave some serious orders to spruce this car up......and spruce it up the designers did. Lutz apparantly also gave out the $$$$$$$$ to back up his orders..........the interior trim on this car is not the usual chintzy-chromed plastic you see on most GM interiors (even the new "improved" GM interiors" but appears to be quality materials, and painstakingly and precisely fitted. Of course, the wood trim is not real wood, but the plastic used is extremely well-finished and fitted with Swiss-watch precision, and the brushed-aluminum trim and chrome appear, to me at least, to be real chrome and aluminum, and not cheap finished plastic. The woodtone, chrome, and brushed-metal also run onto and cover all four door panels and handles, virtually unheard of in a car of this class.

Otherwise, the interior is a mixure of good and bad. The manual tilt, but not telescoping, steering column and manually-adjusted seats may not allow taller people with long legs to get into a comfortable driving position without their right knee hitting or resting on the lower dash. Front and rear head room, with the sunroof housing, was generally good (or at least adequate) even for tall people...a function of the relatively high, squared-off roofline. Leg room in front was fine....but may be compromised by the way the aformentioned steering column is designed. Leg room in back is notably less generous than headroom.....any adults back there had best have relatively short legs.

The circular gauges are quite clear and easily readable. The controls, buttons, and *****, are all well-designed and easy to operate.....with one exception. The "audio on/off" feature is confusing.....whether you are using the dash-mounted, chrome-ring **** or the steering-wheel button. Sometimes when you push it, the system doesn't turn completely off but goes into a start/stop mode (it also had XM satellite capability). To get the system to turn completely off, you had to push either button and hold it in 2-3 seconds.....and even then it didn't always stay off for a while. You will probably need to study the Owner's Manual before using this audio unit. Otherwise, the stereo itself is quite nice....apparantly part of the serious interior upgrade the higher-level Aveos get over the base cars and past Aveos.

The leather seats had a fairly nice grade of leather, with grippy, ventilated cushion areas....but the leather, not suprisingly, was not Lexus or Jaguar-grade. Still, that can be forgiven, considering the car's $18,000 price and the otherwise excellent interior materials. And, in keeping with the car's generally non-sporting attitude, they were somewhat flat and lacked side support/bolsters. Still, they were fine for non-spirited driving.

CARGO AREA/TRUNK:

Despite a high roofline for carrying tall items, one of the car's weaker areas. The hatch lid itself is well-done, with solid but lightweight steel and a solid thunk when closed, but the space behind the rear seats is not very long (only a couple of feet)......don't expect this car to haul things like its big brother Chevy Suburban. Of course, like most hatchbacks, dropping the rear seats adds some space, and makes the cargo area a little more useful. The cargo area is finished pretty well for a car of this class, but, of course, not like the excellent interior trim. The compact temporary spare tire/wheel (perfctly acceptable in a car of this class) lies in the usual spot....under the cargo floor's pull-up panel.

ON THE ROAD:

This is definitely not a car for aggressive drivers, but for those who are sedate, take their time, and have paitience. Start the small 1.6L four with a conventional metal key/transponder and side-column ignition switch, and, immediately, Chevy and Daewoo's efforts to lessen this engine's noise and vibration from previous models become apparant. The little four fires up and settles into a smooth, quiet idle...the thick underhood insulation pad, as mentioned above, no doubt helps. Refinement, though, is one thing.....power, of course, is something else. The wide-ratio 4-speed automatic, lack of an automanual manual-shift-gate, power acccessories, and the typically Arctic-cold, powerful GM air-conditioning sap out the engine's power (which isn't much to start with) like an asthmatic in pollen season. If some jerk in a Mustang GT wants to run you at a stoplight, let him go.....you are going to lose. You might even lose to a low-line Corolla.

The smooth, quiet transmission, to some extent, despite the 4 gears and lack of an automanual shift gate, helps make up for some of the engine's power deficiencies. It helps contribute to a smooth, quiet, mini-luxury-car atmosphere inside......what this car lacks in power, it gets back in refinement. And none of that zig-zag shift-gate nonsense in this car.....it has proper fore-aft shift motion which is much simpler and more
convienient to use.

This is also not a car for aggressive drivers on winding roads. Don't expect to be able to follow and keep up with a Mazda Miata or Honda S2000 in the twisties. The relatively high roofline, front-wheel-drive nose-heaviness, narrow stance, compliant suspension, and small (by today's standards) 15" tires and wheels mean a fair amount of body roll and slow steering response. It's not as tipsy or unstable as some small, narrow high-stance SUV's, but you definitely know you are not in a sports car.

However, once again, what the car lacks in sportiness, it makes up for in refinement. The ride comfort, while not Lincoln Town-Car or Lexus LS460-smooth, is fine for a car of this size....there is little of the harshness or up/down bouncing that many small cars have. Wind noise, road noise, and (as mentioned) powertrain noise are all well-snubbed. This car, if you can get into a comfortable driving position with the lower dash, makes a good inexpensive cruiser at moderate speeds....where, of course, its 34 highway MPG will be well-appreciated. In back, though....like I said above.....better have short legs.

Brakes, despite the disc-front/drum rear setup, have the optional ABS (anti-lock-brakes) and perform well, when you consider that a car of this power level usually won't need Formula One Brembo brakes. There is little sponginess in the pedal, response is smooth and even, and the stopping power is reasonable for a car of this type. Also, I did not notice any of my big clown-shoe size 15 problems with brake/accelerator pedal hang-up that I notice in some vehicles.....and mention whan I do.

VERDICT:

What we have here is a very interesting small car.....a car that is often virtually ignored by the automotive press and overlooked by prospective buyers. And with past Aveos, even some of the upmarket ones, that was not surprising, for reasons which I have already discussed.....it was not a car that people went into debt over while trying to keep up with the Jonses.

Some of that, however, is clearly gone with the 2009, especially the 2LT version. One look.....and feel.....of the interior trim in this car and the Jonses may want to keep up with YOU. It offers a Lexus interior at a Corolla Price. It is also a fairly nice, easy car for do-it-yourselfers under the hood. Its relative obscurity in the marketplace could (depending on the dealership) mean some good deals or leases....though resale value may be not be the best. It is is quite good on gasoline, considering that is not a hybrid.

But it is clearly not the car for everyone. Owning one means basically a life in the slow lane. It also means careful, sensible driving.....throw it around sharp corners and it could bite. It is big enough to offer at least a minimal amount of crash protection, but in a collision with a Suburban or Expedition, it is clearly going to come out second-best.

So, if you want an economical small car with a good warranty, don't want to spend a fortune, want luxury-car interior trim, a hatchback for carrying tall items, and good headroom, and can accept the car's non-aggressive, non-sporty nature, give the Aveo 2LT hatchback a look. And, despite the "Chevy" nameplate, remember, it is really a Korean Daewoo product built in South Korea.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-21-08 at 08:12 PM.
Old 07-21-08, 08:10 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A Corolla gets better gas mileage.
Old 07-21-08, 08:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
1.8L Corollas do. 2.4L Corollas don't. Still, 34 MPG highway is nothing to laugh at.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-21-08 at 08:20 PM.
Old 07-21-08, 08:19 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Both the bigger more powerful Civic and Corolla get better mileage which doesn't make much sense. Just goes to show the lack of engine technology that goes into the Aveo.

The Yaris gets 29 to the Aveo's 24 mpg in the city and they are about the same size and weight!

Aside from mileage, I could never get past the looks of the Aveo. Although the new face pictured above is a big improvement but the rest is still boring.

The interior materials are good for this class and are richer looking than the Yaris but I still prefer the styling and layout of the Yaris interior.

Thanks for the review M!
Old 07-21-08, 08:19 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes. Most small Toyota/Scions do.....but 34 MPG highway is nothing to laugh at.
Yes I suppose. However, if I hold 70 MPH in my 170 HP, AWD Legacy I can get 32 MPG. Though Im sure the Aveo too could do better than 34 MPG if it weren't being tested to 80 MPH. But still.
Old 07-21-08, 08:24 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

1.8L Corollas do. 2.4L Corollas don't. Still, 34 MPG highway is nothing to laugh at.
Just observed my first full tank in my Yaris a few days ago and got 40.5 mpg combined city and highway with AC 100% of the time!! I couldn't believe it!

It feels like gas is back to $2.00 a gallon with a Yaris.
Old 07-21-08, 08:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JLSC4
Both the bigger more powerful Civic and Corolla get better mileage which doesn't make much sense. Just goes to show the lack of engine technology that goes into the Aveo.

The Yaris gets 29 to the Aveo's 24 mpg in the city and they are about the same size and weight!
I find the Yaris annoying to drive, though, with the center-gauges. But it is built like a tank, with super-solid doors for a car of this class.

side from mileage, I could never get past the looks of the Aveo. Although the new face pictured above is a big improvement but the rest is still boring.
Yes, I agree. I said in the review I found the rear end awkward-looking.

The interior materials are good for this class and are richer looking than the Yaris but I still prefer the styling and layout of the Yaris interior.
The pictures don't do the Aveo 2LT's interior the justice it deserves.....you have to see it for real to appreciate it..

Thanks for the review M!
Sure. Anytime. I'm still waiting for the 2009 Acura TL I have multiple review requests for.......it has not been releasd in the D.C. area yet.
Old 07-21-08, 08:43 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JLSC4

It feels like gas is back to $2.00 a gallon with a Yaris.
Rub it in.
Old 07-21-08, 08:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,350 Likes on 1,540 Posts

There's more to life than gas mileage, even if a small car.
Old 07-21-08, 08:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Rub it in.
That's OK, SLegacy. Don't sweat. Our Subies may use a little more gas than an Aveo or Yaris, but they'll go through conditions that would leave most regular cars stranded.
Old 07-21-08, 08:49 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

That's OK, SLegacy. Don't sweat. Our Subies may use a little more gas than an Aveo or Yaris, but they'll go through conditions that would leave most regular cars stranded.
You got that right. Though I am amazed that I went 207 miles on half a tank of gas and the gas light didn't even come on.
Old 07-21-08, 09:55 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, the interior actually looks pretty upscale compared to the previous interior, although I would be embarrassed to sit in a cheap car like that with FAKE wood trim
Old 07-21-08, 09:59 PM
yusef
Lexus Champion

haha we actually have an 06 chevy aveo. the like most basic pos model. no ac nothing, i die in the summer. but its good on gas and was cheap at only 9 grand. so even though its no luxury car, its a great commuter.
Old 07-22-08, 03:36 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tuan92129
Wow, the interior actually looks pretty upscale compared to the previous interior, although I would be embarrassed to sit in a cheap car like that with FAKE wood trim
True. I find it silly for cars like this to have fake wood trim in them. It's trying to be something its not.
Old 07-22-08, 03:46 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

I find the Yaris annoying to drive, though, with the center-gauges. But it is built like a tank, with super-solid doors for a car of this class.
I love the center gauges. I find I look at them all the time because they're easy to view.

Rub it in.
OK.

j/k...I just like spreading the word on cars like this. The fact that I can go twice as far as the average person on a gallon of gas is something to be proud of.

Anyway, this thread is about the Aveo, I don't want take away from it.

Quick Reply: Review: 2009 Chevrolet Aveo 2LT Hatchback