Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hummer in front of me at the gas station today

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-08, 11:34 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Xwakeboard
I never said that we in the United States were not "oil hog's", however, if you think that everyone driving a Prius is going to possibly stop the price of crude from skyrocketing over the next eight to ten years then you are grossly mistaken.
no, but I'd be happy if it would decrease our oil imports by 1%.

not to mention keeping our troops out of places like Iraq and stop our president from begging the Saudi's for more oil.

U.S. Petroleum Net Import Sources, 2007
(Percentage)

Last edited by bagwell; 07-24-08 at 12:09 PM.
Old 07-24-08, 12:40 PM
silvervett
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by toy4two
I made my g/f pull in opposite a prius at the gas station in her 93 Honda Del Sol because I planned on checking how much it cost the prius owner to fill up. So Prius owner fills up, drives off, I check the gas pump about $46.

Then our Del Sol finished filling up, cost: $38.

We paid $2700 for our Del Sol the Prius might be closer to $27,000! I'm sure the Prius gets more than 300 miles per tank though.
I don't get your point, if you pulled in next to me when I made the first fill up in my new GS450H you would have seen $8 on the pump which is meaningless because I got the car from the dealer with a full tank and I just wanted to top it off so I could begin measuring my MPG. I haven't driven it that much in the 5 weeks I have owned it, but I top it off every week to 10 days and my fill ups have all been less than $20 which again is meaningless.

You can pull up next to the guy in a Hummer H1 and the guy may like to fill up once a day because he doesn't like to pay a lot all at once and he can wind up with $7 on the pump which is all meaningless.

PS I have never sat in a Prius or a Del Sol so I have no idea which is more comfortable, but as far as I am concerned my #1 priority is comfort. I have a bad back and I can't sit in something that will put me in pain so I am willing to pay for comfort. Fortunately the GS450H and the RX400h gave me both comfort and good MPG
Old 07-24-08, 12:44 PM
silvervett
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bagwell
no, but I'd be happy if it would decrease our oil imports by 1%.

not to mention keeping our troops out of places like Iraq and stop our president from begging the Saudi's for more oil.

U.S. Petroleum Net Import Sources, 2007
(Percentage)
The reason the POTUS has to beg is we don't allow new drilling, did anyone notice the day or two after POTUS gave a speech about drilling the price of oil went down $10 a barrel?
Old 07-24-08, 01:07 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by whlkev
my gas station still beats u, would've been $173+ here...

your gas station......... sucks
Old 07-24-08, 01:31 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by silvervett
The reason the POTUS has to beg is we don't allow new drilling, did anyone notice the day or two after POTUS gave a speech about drilling the price of oil went down $10 a barrel?

no, but I noticed it went down when the US agreed to LISTEN to Iran during talks (not negotiate).
Old 07-24-08, 01:38 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SCRUFFDOGG
. Can I load up your hybrid with 4 search and rescuers with gear and drive up an old logging road? How about 3 adults, 3 kids and 3 hockey bags and 6 sticks, can I get my family of 4, my 2 dogs in your vehicle and tow a boat?

Cargo Capacity (behind front seats):
Toyota Sienna: 148.9 cu. ft.
Chevy Tahoe: 108.9 cu. ft.

It appears that the minivan will actually hold more.
Old 07-24-08, 02:51 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Thats great that you can afford to have terrible gas mileage. I laud your success. However, despite increasing fuel efficieny of automobiles over the years, offenders like the Hummer, Tahoe, Land Cruiser, etc. has only increased demand of oil when it should have decreased. And that affects everyone.

Haha, I'll think you're cool when you are in a GS450h and your vanity plate reads: "I could afford to waste fuel, but Im not"

ok, you should lead the way to decrease oil usage.
go ahead and trade your car in for a scooter...even better....ride your bicylcle or walk everywhere.....

I am pretty sure if you can last a month without a driving car and use gas, there will be people following you...lol
Old 07-24-08, 03:16 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ssmoked
ok, you should lead the way to decrease oil usage.
go ahead and trade your car in for a scooter...even better....ride your bicylcle or walk everywhere.....

I am pretty sure if you can last a month without a driving car and use gas, there will be people following you...lol
I'm a performance enthusiast and it sucks to be one these days with gas prices so high. But even I think about the future, the faster we blow through oil the faster prices climb. I'm not saying "get rid of your gas guzzling vehicles" but rather to think about if it's worth it for you and if you're willing to pay the price in the long run. Also think about the future of your family, do you want them suffering through crap like this too? And even if you're more selfish than others it's simple supply and demand. If we demand more and they limit our supply than we're paying more now. I love my petrol vehicles but there is a limit to how much we have. Don't waste away gas just for the sake of wasting away gas.

Can't tow as well with a van though. I can see a minivan for a family that just needs to haul people/stuff but if you have a boat or a trailer for your ATVs, motorcycles, etc. than you'll need something with some more towing power.
Old 07-24-08, 03:18 PM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

I was actually referring to JLSC's Yaris but I was thinking i've never seen a minivan launching a boat and even my buddies Outback has some trouble on the back roads so I wouldn't feel comfortable taking a Sienna into some of the back country. I averaged 15 mpg on 4 tanks of gas towing a boat from Seattle to Montana and back doing mostly 65-70, I wonder what that Sienna would get at a rated 17/23.
Old 07-24-08, 03:42 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

I can not tow my car to the track with a Hybrid. It would not make economical sense to buy one either, as the other poster mentioned. Most people also do not factor in how difficult and expensive it is to service hybrids. I really feel for large industry that use diesel and the planes that use jet fuel.
Old 07-24-08, 03:51 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pingu
Most people also do not factor in how difficult and expensive it is to service hybrids.
read this thread.... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=369196

I really feel for large industry that use diesel and the planes that use jet fuel.
I work for an airline and hope to keep my job - even tho I can afford to drive a gas guzzler - I do what I can to save fuel - carpool every day, high MPG car, trying to work 4 day work week.
Old 07-24-08, 05:47 PM
TrendyTodd
Lexus Test Driver

Most people also do not factor in how difficult and expensive it is to service hybrids.
How difficult is it? I have 2, an RXh and a GSh and take it in for regular maintenance every 5000miles like everyone else. The hybrid part of the engine is a "maintenance free" part that only gets looked at. My warranty on the hybrid batteries are 8yrs/100k miles. That's longer than the normal AND extended warranties offered on the ICE and powertrain.
Old 07-25-08, 07:37 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,378 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Originally Posted by luxury1
It is too bad that I can't own what I like and must sell my SUV's for a station wagon. Wait a minute, I live in the US and can own one after all! For a second there I thought that Koma controlled my life.

Sorry Koma, just because you think that people shouldn't own something doesn't mean that it is correct. Some people would be all over you for owning a car that uses gas period. And if you own anything leather, others would be after you for that. Are you a vegetarian? Other people for that. Etc.......

Ultimately we need to worry about outselves and stop trying to force our opinions on others. I live my life one way and you live it another and neither one of us is right or wrong. The only thing that is wrong is when you try to keep someone from living their life the way that they want to.
excellent post.
Old 07-25-08, 07:39 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,378 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
I'm expressing my opinion not forcing it upon people. People are allowed to buy whatever the hell they want. I understand that some people need an SUV but for practicality purposes most people who buy an SUV don't need one.
People usually don't need sports cars either, or boats, or planes, or snowmobiles, or ATVs, should they sell all those and buy a Prius instead too?
Old 07-25-08, 07:54 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
People usually don't need sports cars either, or boats, or planes, or snowmobiles, or ATVs, should they sell all those and buy a Prius instead too?
You're completely missing my point and honestly baiting me.
All I'm saying is that people have every right to buy whatever they want with their money but they should understand the consequences beforehand. Some of these people COMPLAIN about their purchases afterwards. I don't want to own a Prius because they bore me, I might have one as a daily driver but it does not excite me. I am a car enthusiast which usually means I like PERFORMANCE CARS which are not environmentally or eco-friendly. If I was in the market for a new car, I wouldn't be buying an SUV unless I needed one to tow things and still be able to carry passengers. I would buy something that I know would be sensible for me and isn't out of my reach. I understand that I won't be able to buy an LF-A. I'm not going to take a super huge loan that I know I can't afford and buy it anyway and than later start complaining about gas prices and not being to afford the gas any longer. I'm not suggesting you trade your assets for a Yaris and a shack. Just understand that people do regret their purchases afterwards because they didn't plan ahead.

Quick Reply: Hummer in front of me at the gas station today