Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hummer in front of me at the gas station today

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-08, 07:55 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,378 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
Also think about the future of your family, do you want them suffering through crap like this too?
How much ACTUAL SUFFERING do you believe is going on, in the U.S., because of current gas prices? My guess: ALMOST NONE.

It means people MIGHT be taking a less lavish or just less vacation. It might mean they're not buying that 3rd or 4th car for their kid. It might mean they're struggling to pay the mortgage on the house they were in no legitimate position to buy in the first place, buying it knowing they would ONLY be able to MAYBE afford it if the value shot up before the ARM began to adjust and gee, that didn't happen. It might mean they don't get to buy the fifth pair of Jordan sneakers. It might mean they didn't buy the Wii game machine to sit alongside the 2 other game machines that were only used for a couple of months. It might mean they don't go to every new restaurant the moment it opens and spend lavishly. It might mean they don't renew the gym membership they don't use anyway. It might mean they don't get the latest Nike golf clubs which won't make the slightest bit of difference to their golf game anyway. It might mean they don't gamble so much in Las Vegas or don't binge eat and drink for days on end setting them up for all kinds of illness later.

Now, the flip side - a single mom who works at a Subway drives 30 miles each way in an old beat up car that gets 15 mpg. So that's 4 gallons a day, or let's say $20. Two years ago that was $10. So she's down $50 a week. At minimum wage (without tips) that's a 20% pay cut, although they just raised minimum wage some 10+%. But I wonder, does she smoke? Could save the $10 easily. Is there a Subway closer than 30 miles away or equivalent job? More than likely! Could she car pool now and then? Maybe. So she's got it tougher, but it's not a disaster.

What's more painful than gas prices is the deafening whining about it.
Old 07-25-08, 07:59 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,378 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
All I'm saying is that people have every right to buy whatever they want with their money but they should understand the consequences beforehand. Some of these people COMPLAIN about their purchases afterwards.
I don't see many SUV owners complaining... I only see those who have an irrationally over-inflated hatred of SUVs complaining.
Old 07-25-08, 08:20 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to understand not everyone who drives a Lexus has money. Some people buy used Lexus' like my family does. My family doesn't have a lot of money and they bought the cars when the economy was better so they figured they could buy a used luxury car. So I have hand-me-down used luxury cars, which are pretty expensive to fill up because they take premium (which personally a 30-40 cent/gal difference isn't enough to make me care that much). I can't purchase a used car that gets better mileage because I'm a student and have to make rent and other bills while still trying to get my degree. I could sell the Lexus and get a really crappy return because they're high mileage and probably wouldn't be worth selling.
I know for myself my spending limits and what I can afford and can't afford to buy. I'm complaining about gas prices because it does effect me a lot. My parents can't really help me out because they don't make a lot of money either. And again I'm not telling people what to buy and what not to buy, unless they come to me specifically for advice on decisions like that. You may not be in a circle of people who are being hurt by gas prices but I am. And I know a lot of college students who say to themselves after purchasing a vehicle and regretting it because of financial problems. I have ABSOLUTELY no problem with SUVs. I do however have problems with people who have the mindset that they absolutely need something they can't afford. Settle for less if you have to, don't shoot for the stars and end up having it repo'd.