Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai Invites Aftermarket Tuners To Measure 2010 Genesis Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-08, 06:05 AM
rsantiago
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I mean what's the point of waiting for the Toyota/Subaru RWD car, I can't believe that even Hyundai is more exciting than Toyota.
Old 07-24-08, 06:18 AM
Mangudai
Driver School Candidate

I'm really curious to see how this car is received and how it does on the track. Also, reliability. from me
Old 07-24-08, 08:02 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rsantiago
I mean what's the point of waiting for the Toyota/Subaru RWD car, I can't believe that even Hyundai is more exciting than Toyota.
For one they're different types of cars.
The Genesis coupe is quite a bit larger and heavier than the planned RWD sports car from Subaru/Toyota. The Genesis coupe will weigh in at around 3.5k lbs. The RWD sports car from Toyota/Subaru is supposed to be lightweight. The WRX STI weighs in at around 3.4k lbs but that's with an AWD platform and two extra doors. I have a feeling they'll base it upon the STI but that's my speculation.
Another reason is that we don't even know what the new Toyota/Subaru coupe is supposed to look like. I for one don't find the Genesis coupe that exciting in terms of styling (a bastardized G37 if you asked me). I would be willing to wait to see what other makes have to offer before jumping on the Genesis coupe.

Does anyone know what they're going to call the Genesis coupe?
Old 07-24-08, 09:26 AM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Koma
Is it just me or is 310hp for a 3.8l V6 kinda weak.
At first I thought the same thing, but when I drove the sedan with that same engine. It hauls butt. The take-off from 0 isnt the greatest due to its weight, but it can surprise you from a roll. For Hyundai's first, this is a 10 of 10.
Old 07-24-08, 09:29 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

310hp for a 3.8L V6 is hardly weak. Not too long ago, we had 300hp in a 4.0L V8 (2nd gen GS). You couldn't really find a production v6 with that much power for a little coupe.
Old 07-24-08, 09:49 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by GSteg
310hp for a 3.8L V6 is hardly weak. Not too long ago, we had 300hp in a 4.0L V8 (2nd gen GS). You couldn't really find a production v6 with that much power for a little coupe.
Well in comparison to today's 3.5-4.0 V6s.
The VQ35HR makes more power with less displacement.
The 2GR-FSE makes more power with less displacement.
Given both of these V6s have direct injection. It's a good effort but with a 3.8 it's worse off than some of the competition.
Old 07-24-08, 10:48 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Faymester
i dunno if i made the comment before or not but...

Looks like the Baby Benz
Old 07-24-08, 11:16 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone know what they're going to call the Genesis coupe?
The Hyundai Genesis Coupe is going to be called the Hyundai Genesis Coupe. Tiburon is finished...
Old 07-24-08, 11:31 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Given both of these V6s have direct injection. It's a good effort but with a 3.8 it's worse off than some of the competition.
We dont know the torque and its torque curve yet. For all we know, the that could be the 3.8L's advantage. I can't wait for it to come out! More displacement usually works pretty well with mods
Old 07-24-08, 11:58 AM
carguy101
Lead Lap

Um, what are you talking about. The Lexus 3.5L and the Infiniti 3.5L do not make more than 310 hp.

Also, the VQ does not have direct injection.
Old 07-24-08, 12:08 PM
sleeper408

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

It's a good effort but with a 3.8 it's worse off than some of the competition.
Well, they are still a new and upcoming competitor. Remember only about 10 years ago, they only had a couple models to attract "economical" minded consumers. I think their V6 is impressive (power output) when compared to the V6 used in current and past Tiburons.
Old 07-24-08, 12:32 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Next you'll be harping about fuel economy or something.

This is a monumental achievement for the 'upstart' Korean company that right now seems to have vision, momentum, talent, FUN, and fast execution. Toyota seems mostly interested in huge sales volumes, hybrids, and INCREDIBLY BORING vehicles. Nothing really wrong with that, but some people want more.
Old 07-24-08, 02:40 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Didn't I read that these engines will use regular non premium fuel as well? Any 3.8L 310 HP motor running on regular fuel is a good start if you ask me. Unless this engine will be getting 18 MPG it sounds like an achievement too me.
Old 07-24-08, 02:51 PM
LexFather

Exactly. The new 3.7 in the Acura TL makes 309 or so hp as well...

Old 07-24-08, 03:08 PM
Koma

Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano
The Hyundai Genesis Coupe is going to be called the Hyundai Genesis Coupe. Tiburon is finished...
I wish they came up with something different than that. It's just that the Genesis sedan has a V8 and V6. They're two different markets. One is luxury and one is performance. I heard that they'll continue the Tiburon as a FWD coupe. Nothing wrong with having RWD and FWD coupes in a line-up.

We dont know the torque and its torque curve yet. For all we know, the that could be the 3.8L's advantage. I can't wait for it to come out! More displacement usually works pretty well with mods
That's true, torque is more important when it comes to real world application.

Originally Posted by carguy101
Um, what are you talking about. The Lexus 3.5L and the Infiniti 3.5L do not make more than 310 hp.

Also, the VQ does not have direct injection.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_GR_engine#2GR-FSE

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_VQ_engine#VQ35HR

Both make 311hp. Both are direct injected.

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Didn't I read that these engines will use regular non premium fuel as well? Any 3.8L 310 HP motor running on regular fuel is a good start if you ask me. Unless this engine will be getting 18 MPG it sounds like an achievement too me.
I heard they'll run on regular and premium as well. Running on regular will produce less power (of course) 306 versus 310, which is almost negligible difference.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Next you'll be harping about fuel economy or something.

This is a monumental achievement for the 'upstart' Korean company that right now seems to have vision, momentum, talent, FUN, and fast execution. Toyota seems mostly interested in huge sales volumes, hybrids, and INCREDIBLY BORING vehicles. Nothing really wrong with that, but some people want more.
This is a big step for Hyundai, I'm not denying that. But I just feel that maybe it should make more power. I can't really complain in the end it's 300+hp in a mid 20k coupe.
Toyota really does need to step up. You can still have a little fun while still being profitable.

Quick Reply: Hyundai Invites Aftermarket Tuners To Measure 2010 Genesis Coupe