Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Thinking of buying a 2004 Jaguar X-Type 3.0; some ques.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-08, 03:15 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

OK guys this just in...

I spoke to the local Jaguar dealership and they mentioned that since the car has $51-52K miles the factory warranty has expired about 1-2K miles ago therefore the car is NOT eligible for the extended warranty through Jaguar. However, a friend of mine mentioned that Teacher's federal Credit Union (bank) does offer extended warranties on used cars with a variety of coverages for different dollar amounts. Now, I had a VERY VERY bad experience with aftermarket extended warranties but my friend assured that they paid out on a claim on his friend's damaged tranny in full. So IF a fully comprehensive warranty can be had the Jag might be back in this race. So the Jag price will be $12K to my sister plus around another $1,500 for this extended warranty. if I can't get this warranty through a bank then this car is OUT!

We looked at the following cars over the weekend:

2006 BMW 325XI - she liked it but they didn't have one at the local dealerships that we went to; our name is down on their call lists. Most of them were $26-27K on their lots

2006 Infinity G35X ~ 30K miles - she liked it, but both her and I felt that it was the most "plain" of all these cars. Really the only sporty look to it is the sporty wheels and bigger brakes. She also felt that it was a "little" big for her but had a lot of power and brakes felt good...the interior was nice too. Price was $23K

2007 Acura TSX ~10k miles - she loved it. The color (elecric blue) is amazing. It had surprisingly comfortable seats, (black leather int.) comes stock with HID's and premium sound with more buttons on the steering wheel then we know what to do with. Probably the best of the cars so far as far as gas mileage goes (22/31) because it's a 4cyl; but it has 205HP! Very peppy for a rather lightweight car. Coincidentally we have a friend (I didn't know he worked there) works at this Acura dealership. It was on the lot for $25K and he said he can do it for $22K. Still has 2.5 years left on the original warranty; so I will not have to shell out extra $$$ for an extended warranty at this time.

2005 Acura TL - ~35K miles - She liked it; had a lot of power and probably the most comfortable interior of these cars and felt solid but she said it definitely felt big...to her. It is NOT as sporty as the TSX though but has quite a bit more power. however, it's a V6 so it WILL drink more gas. $20K

2006 Lexus IS250 awd - The dealership didn't have any of them in the low $20K's and they mentioned that they rarely get them in that low. They mentioned usually around $26K the lowest but didn't have any in at that time.

Just an update...we are leaning towards the above TSX or the original Jaguar (IF we can get a warranty for it). Thanks again guys keep the comments coming!

Last edited by Rock-a-Lex; 07-27-08 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-28-08, 10:29 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I would buy the X- type without another thought assuming you trust your sister and I would put the money you want to spend now on a warranty in a intrest earning account. I did extensive development work test driving several X-types in 2002, they had a few minor issues but over all a fantastic car. Jaguars in general suffer from a ancient reputation for unreliability. Ford owned Jag for the past 17 years and the X-type mechanicals are mostly Ford Taurus which will be very inexpensive to maintain as long as you stay away from the dealers. The car is a great drive and very classy looking.

PS: the only problem with later X-types ( 2004- on) is depreciation steming from old wives tales about reliabilty. at $12000. you are the benificiary of this

Last edited by Byprodrive; 07-28-08 at 10:33 AM. Reason: important point
Old 07-28-08, 11:54 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

....update. The bank (or any for that matter) will NOT offer any extended warranty because it is over 36K miles. I am $h1t out of luck. So, no warranty guys...btw my fiance just got a new job and she will be driving about 55 miles round trip per day.

Would you guys rather consider an '06 Acura TL with 25K miles or an '07 Acura TSX with EVERY option (but nav) with 10K miles...the TSX is a little better on gas.
Old 07-28-08, 12:07 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Why not get a brand new 4 wheel drive vehicle for the price? Since she seeks small, how about a Mitsubishi Lancer, Toyota Rav4L, Toyota Matrix, Audi A3, VW Passat?, VW Jetta (kick *** 1.8T versions) so many other choices.. Go new
Old 07-28-08, 01:32 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

X-type is 4-wheel drive and gets better gas mileage.

There's no such thing as a good deal on something you don't want.
Old 07-28-08, 03:36 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your gonna spend more for a warrantied car, just get the X and drive it and don't worry, any local mechanic can fix it for pennies compared to a dealer my friend drove her car here from Texas, I think way to much judgement is being based on what you heard or read
Old 07-28-08, 05:30 PM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The X-type is not worth the risk imo. I see '04 3.0's w/ ~ 50k miles @ the auction for $8k and that is still too much! Its a rebadged Ford focus! JK but its still junk, thats why its so hard/ expensive to get extended/ aftermarket warranties on them.
Old 07-28-08, 06:39 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

xj or bust.

Old 07-28-08, 09:57 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

XJ's nicer than mine but where's the bust?
Old 07-28-08, 10:22 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

the bust is that a fwd jag is only as good as a ford fusion.
Old 07-28-08, 11:18 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ElitistK
the bust is that a fwd jag is only as good as a ford fusion.
the X-Type is based off a Mondeo Sedan--which drives like a DREAM.

but it still doesn't change the fact that it's FWD
Old 07-29-08, 05:51 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Their X-type is AWD btw. We are actually most likely going to buy the Acura TSX today or tomorrow, here's some of the characterisitics of the car.

2007 Acura TSX (Artic Blue Pearl...bright blue almost)
10,300 miles
Inline 4 w/Vtech (205hp/~170tq)
5-spd automatic with tiptronic
Full black leather interior w/brushed aluminum accents
Steering wheel controls for radio volume/stations-tracks, cruise control, telephone/bluetooth and a couple of other things
Heated / power seats
"All auto" power windows
360w / 8-speaker premium sound system with 6 disk indash cd changer
Bluetooth
Ipod connection
HID xenon projector headlights w/auto
2-memory seating
Homelink
Moonroof
Foglights
17" sport wheels
Has 3 years/36K still left on the factory bumper-to-bumper warranty!
Price: Was $25,995...now for us it's $22,000

It has a lot of cool features IMHO that are on all TSX's like pull door handles w/chrome accents, blinkers on the side mirrors, dual exhaust; it's just a sharp car and for the price...not much out there that can beat it as far as value especially that we are getting almost $4000 off because I have known the salesman for many years. I did TONS of research on-line regardig this car and it was ALWAYS on the list for top used cars on various sites such as Cars.com, Edmunds.com, Kiplingers.com etc etc. Coincidently, the Jaguar X-type was almost always on top used cars to avoid lists.

Brand new they go for around $30 - $31K w/navigation; ours has all options except for the nav. If these gas prices weren't what they are now I would definitely opt for a 6 cylinder car for the extra ponies but with these gas prices and her now farther daily commute it seams like it's a good fit for us at this time. Oh, and I checked a bunch of other dealers the same car with the same features and mileage I have seen on their lots for $25-$27K! I have seen private sellers for as low as $23K. What do you guys think about this car?

Last edited by Rock-a-Lex; 07-29-08 at 05:56 AM.
Old 07-29-08, 06:21 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

buying new is overrated, not worth the stress of worrying about someone ding/keying your new car, not worth the newness feeling wearing off in 6 months, not worth the depreciation. You can easily find a 1-2 year old car with CPO that is less expensive than a new version, but its better than a new version with the CPO warranty. Also someone ate the 1-2 year depreciation
Old 07-29-08, 06:57 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

...the ONLY other options that I ws still considering was a

'06 TL w/26K miles on it for $21K

or

'06 TL w/42K miles on it for $20K with navigation

but to be completely honest I kind of like the LOOK of the TSX a little more also the gas will be more expensive on the TL; my fiance infatically says she does NOT need the extra power of the 6 cylinder TL...not that important to her.

Guys, help me solidify me buying this TSX today or tomorrow...Thanks!!!
Old 07-29-08, 07:23 AM
LexFather

ROck, I think like 30 dudes here have girlfriends with a TSX, so its a good choice obviously.

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying a 2004 Jaguar X-Type 3.0; some ques.