Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Impressions Of My Genesis Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-08, 09:39 AM
LexFather

^^^ I like the Genesis tons but I have no faith in that. Hyundai historically has DISMAL resale value. This car has no used car history, its amazing people actually believe any resale value quote as its totally hypothetical. I totally project like the Phaeton and W8 Passat and Infiniit Q45/previous M45 resale will plummet. Good cars that have very low resale.

Those projections are just weird. We can all go to Autotrader/CarMax and find that their projections are way off.

Mike, I do plan on driving one soon.

Old 07-26-08, 10:05 AM
jwaters
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 3.8l Lambda engine has been pretty heavily modified for use in the Genesis. In the Genesis is produces 27 additional horsepower, has a different intake manifold, different bore/stroke, and is placed longitudinally in the engine bay (due to RWD). It's also worth noting that it's mated to a more sophisticated Aisin 6-speed auto (versus the Azera's somewhat dated Hyundai-sourced 5 speed). The Azera is not a bad car. It's a very good car actually.....I would get one over the Avalon. Still, the Genesis is a noticeable step up from the Avalon in nearly all areas. It feels a bit quicker, offers more overall feature content, and is significantly more refined.
Old 07-26-08, 10:29 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

Wait what??? A V6 model with nav costs $40k? I was under the impression....that a V8 could be had at $30k.... since everybody kept saying "well..... what does 30k get you nowadays besides a v6 camry... surely 375hp sounds good at that price"...so misleading.
Old 07-26-08, 11:10 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was thinking 30K for V6 model and 35K for V8, so how much is a Loaded V8 Hyundai?
Old 07-26-08, 11:20 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
I was thinking 30K for V6 model and 35K for V8, so how much is a Loaded V8 Hyundai?
$42K for V8 and $40K for 3.8 V6 both with Technology Package.
Old 07-26-08, 11:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT

Mike, I do plan on driving one soon.
Same here. 3.8L Genesis models are starting to come into the Hyundai shops here, but no V8's yet. Having driven the 3.8L in both the Azera and Veracruz, I see no reason to test it again in the Genesis....I'm going to wait for a V8 model, and review a 3.8L only if there is no other choice.
Old 07-26-08, 11:54 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

I notice people who criticize the prices usually drive 10+ yr old cars so their opinions, while riveting, are irrelevant.
Old 07-26-08, 05:31 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i did a google maps to see what my local hyundai dealer looks like. although it looks run down, I've seen worse......... from Infiniti. much worse.

but we're spoiled. toyota has worse showrooms in some areas
Old 07-26-08, 05:48 PM
jwaters
Pole Position

Originally Posted by blacksc400
How hard is it to go to a website and find out for yourself?

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/shoppingto...ehicle=Genesis

For the lazy....

A V6 Genesis starts at $33k (including destination) and has the following available option packages:

-Premium Package (Memory seating, rain sensing wipers, power rear sunshade, leather dash, etc.): $2k
-Premium Plus Package (18" wheels): $1k
-Tech Package (Cooled drives seat, HIDs, Nav w/ backup camera, parking sensors, etc.): $4k

Grand Total (FULLY-LOADED): $40k, which is very similar in price to the Avalon, new Maxima, TL, Lucerne, etc.

The V8 Genesis starts at $38k and comes with all the features that come as part of the V6 Premium and Premium Plus Packages. The only option package on the V8 is the Tech Package which brings the total to $42k FULLY-LOADED. This is similar in price to the ES350, IS350, G35, Lucerne, CTS, 328i, C300, etc.

LS-like interior space (short wheelbase), GS-like performance, and ES/IS-like pricing. What more do you guys want?

Last edited by jwaters; 07-26-08 at 05:52 PM.
Old 07-26-08, 10:43 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I notice people who criticize the prices usually drive 10+ yr old cars so their opinions, while riveting, are irrelevant.
Nope, I've got an 07 IS350. And I don't mind spending 40k-60k on a car if it matches what I need and want in a car.
Old 07-26-08, 10:46 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
^^^ I like the Genesis tons but I have no faith in that. Hyundai historically has DISMAL resale value. This car has no used car history, its amazing people actually believe any resale value quote as its totally hypothetical. I totally project like the Phaeton and W8 Passat and Infiniit Q45/previous M45 resale will plummet. Good cars that have very low resale.

Those projections are just weird. We can all go to Autotrader/CarMax and find that their projections are way off.
I completely agree. Projections of potential depreciation are are just that, projections. We won't know the actual numbers until the car is a few years old, and the demand for these used hyundais is confirmed.
Old 07-26-08, 11:05 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

so..........

did anyone listen to that LExicon system?

i think the v8 can be had for $38000 + TTL fully loaded

i guess that's pretty cheap.

LS size and power.

i'm too embarrassed to drive a hyundai, so I'd probably rebadge it :

Last edited by dunnojack; 07-26-08 at 11:23 PM.
Old 07-26-08, 11:56 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dunnojack
LS size and power.
It's still not targeting luxury vehicles like the LS though. It's a luxury sports sedan, going against the likes of the 5series, GS, A6, E-class. This is where a lot of people will compare it to the LS and it'll come up short, which is unfair because it's targeting a different group. Which is still a bargain, 35k for a V8 RWD luxury sports sedan, even the GS starts at 53k. That's almost 20k cheaper.
Old 07-27-08, 07:47 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dunnojack
so..........

did anyone listen to that LExicon system?

i think the v8 can be had for $38000 + TTL fully loaded

i guess that's pretty cheap.

LS size and power.

i'm too embarrassed to drive a hyundai, so I'd probably rebadge it :

Putting the Lexus badge on the back of the Hyundai pretty much confirms that the Genesis is a better looking car than Lexus. At least from that photo.
Old 07-27-08, 09:29 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Putting the Lexus badge on the back of the Hyundai pretty much confirms that the Genesis is a better looking car than Lexus. At least from that photo.
that's just your opinion.

i think it's just average. with no style. there's really nothing distinct about this except the "klingon" grille

I wouldn't mind driving it though....... for $21000.

Quick Reply: Impressions Of My Genesis Test Drive