Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Impressions Of My Genesis Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-08, 09:54 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
that's just your opinion.

i think it's just average. with no style. there's really nothing distinct about this except the "klingon" grille

I wouldn't mind driving it though....... for $21000.
I actually think it is a nice looking car. I'm one of those that think sedate and simple often look better. What I like about it is there are no (Or at least very few) hard crease lines which many cars have today that I don't particularly care for. The entire car looks smoother and rounder rather than edgy and sharp. It has a more European feel too me. Personally for me, I think if you badged that a BMW 5 series it would be a winner. Would be one of the best 5 series since the E39.
Old 07-27-08, 10:02 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

I wouldn't mind driving it though....... for $21000.
In 2 yrs, you'll be able to.
Old 07-27-08, 10:12 AM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While I think Hyundai was crafty in having no Hyundai identifiers on the exterior, I think the "flying wing" insignia they chose looks far too close to either the Bently or Chrysler insignias.

And since I don't think anyone will confuse this for a Bently, what are we left with?

Chrysler...UGHHHHHH.

And while they were at it, why include the low rent Hyundai "H" on the steering wheel?

I continue to believe that one of their bigest hurdles is going to be trying to sell that upmarket car from their horrid showrooms with their poorly trained "kid off the block" existing sales staff.

I know it would have cost quite a bit more to create an upmarket marque in the vein of Toyota/Lexus, Nissan/Infinity, etc, but I think it's a necessity for a car aiming at this target audience.

The thought of having my Genesis serviced at a Hyundai dealership makes my skin crawl. Call me an snob, but I have certain expectations from a car dealership at this point in my life and Hyundai dealerships far far short of that mark.

Last edited by PsychDoc; 07-27-08 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-27-08, 10:28 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PsychDoc
While I think Hyundai was crafty in having no Hyundai identifiers on the exterior, I think the "flying wing" insignia they chose looks far too close to either the bently or the Chrysler insignias. And since I don't think anyone will confuse this for a Bently, what are we left with?

Chrysler...UGHHHHHH.

And while they were at it, why include the low rent Hyundai "H" on the steering wheel?

I continue to believe that one of their bigest hurdles is going to be trying to sell that upmarket car from their horrid showrooms with their poorly trained "kid off the block" existing sales staff.

I know it would have cost quite a bit more to create an upmarket marque in the vein of Toyota/Lexus, Nissan/Infinity, etc, but I think it's a necessity for a car aiming at this target audience.

The thought of having my Genesis serviced at a Hyundai dealership makes my skin crawl. Call me an snob, but I have certain expectations from a car dealership at this point in my life and Hyundai dealerships far far short of that mark.
I don't like the wing Genesis badge myself. I rather have the simply Hyundai H if you can believe that.

I also don't think this car will sway too many established luxury car buyers. The Lexus owners will still buy a Lexus, and so forth for the BMW, Mercedes and such. A few of them may give the Genesis a try, but the majority of them already love their car brand. What the Genesis can do is take a share of the new potential luxury car buyer.

My only expectation from a dealership is to not rip me off, service and fix my car in a reasonable time frame for a reasonable price, and honor my warranty of applicable. That is probably the reason why I tend to go to independent service centers vs dealerships for maintenance and repair. A lot of those are owned by former dealership master techs so they do a good job, have cheaper prices, but generally ordinary looking workshops.
Old 07-27-08, 11:34 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I'm one of those that think sedate and simple often look better. What I like about it is there are no hard crease lines which many cars have today that I don't particularly care for. The entire car looks smoother and rounder

man, do i have the car for you..........
Attached Thumbnails Impressions Of My Genesis Test Drive-redjellybean-640.jpg  
Old 07-27-08, 12:10 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

man, do i have the car for you..........
Well, if you have seen the cars I tend to like and own you'd know this wouldn't be my style.
Old 07-28-08, 01:23 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I drive by the Hyundai/AWC port in Richmond for my job and I've seen the new Kia SUV but no Genesis sighting - yet.
Old 07-28-08, 10:12 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by nthach
I drive by the Hyundai/AWC port in Richmond for my job and I've seen the new Kia SUV but no Genesis sighting - yet.
If you're ever in the OC area by the 405 freeway where the HQ is at, you'll see it quite often:

Old 07-28-08, 10:14 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

i think it's just average. with no style. there's really nothing distinct about this except the "klingon" grille
I was trying to come up with the term for the grill-you nailed it perfectly for me
Wish they could've went with the regular horizontal bars
Old 07-28-08, 12:15 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
hyudai=fail
That about sums it up. I was actually looking to be suprised by this model, but after reading that...I guess I was wrong.

You said the steering was heavier than lexus? That must be a hard machine to handle.

Cheap interiors, bad handling, and a dated Navigation...thats about what you get in a $40,000 wanna-be Luxury car.
Old 07-28-08, 12:17 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Putting the Lexus badge on the back of the Hyundai pretty much confirms that the Genesis is a better looking car than Lexus. At least from that photo.
No...Thats what hyundai buyers WANT to do to their cars.
Old 07-28-08, 12:29 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
That about sums it up. I was actually looking to be suprised by this model, but after reading that...I guess I was wrong.

You said the steering was heavier than lexus? That must be a hard machine to handle.

Cheap interiors, bad handling, and a dated Navigation...thats about what you get in a $40,000 wanna-be Luxury car.
Everything you've said in the Genesis thread says otherwise.

Heavier steering than Lexus makes the Genesis a difficult car to handle?... You think Lexus has heavy steering? It's time to hit the gym.

Let me sum it up for you. So far, you've taken into account one person's impression of the car, sifted through the info and chose all the bad points, and offered up a pretty narrow-minded conclusion.

It's Hyundai's first attempt and from what I've seen, they've done one hell of a job. Sure, they're tackling the market very aggressively. One example would be offering a V8 even before Acura/Honda. And they're not going to get it perfect in one shot. Lexus/Toyota can't do that so what makes you think Hyundai would be able to do it on their first try?
Old 07-28-08, 12:34 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I love the look (exterior & interior) and the performance numbers on this car. The black Genisis with the drop and wheels that someone posted in another thread put this car over the top in my mind... I just need to drive the the sedan & coupe..
Old 07-28-08, 01:43 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

dated Navigation
Why do you say that the nav is dated?

It looks to me that the genesis system is better than both the ES and GS..

Hyundai USA lists on there site.

AM/FM/CD/MP3/XM with iPod / USB & Aux input jacks
528-watt 17-speaker Lexicon Logic 7® discrete
audio system with HD radio and complimentary
1-year subscription to XM Satellite Radio and
NavTraffic®

Navigation system with 40-gig HD
and in-dash 6-disc DVD changer

Driver information system
- Multimedia controller

When I look at the GS I notice that the XM or Satellite radio are $500 dealer installed option (at least in Canada) and nowhere do I see the ES or GS having a 40 gig hard drive.

I don't even think the GS has a AUX dash input...Its not listed on the features for the GS....Also I notice there is no multi media controller either.
Old 07-28-08, 04:00 PM
jwaters
Pole Position

I'd also like to know how the Navigation system is dated. Go ahead, I'm waiting.

Hint: It's not. I've owned a Mitsubishi, Honda, & Lexus w/ OEM Nav. The Genesis is better than any of them. The screen is nice and bright with very clear graphics/fonts. The backup camera is nice and clear and doesn't take 5-10 seconds to engage *cough, Honda, cough*. The iPod integration is the best I've seen yet, and the controller feels nice and solid and moves with fluid "clicks". (It's actually built by the same supplier as Audi's MMI contoller FWIW). The audio system also sounds very nice, but not noticeably nicer than the base Lexicon system that comes w/ the Premium Package.

Last edited by jwaters; 07-28-08 at 04:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Impressions Of My Genesis Test Drive