Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Impressions Of My Genesis Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-08, 04:46 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

*cough*LG*cough*

I have a bit more respect for Samsung, but Verizon has ruined LG's reputation in my eyes.
Old 07-28-08, 05:13 PM
jwaters
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really? All 3 of my LG cell phones have been flawless. Same goes for my LG washer/dryer.
Old 07-28-08, 08:06 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jwaters
Really? All 3 of my LG cell phones have been flawless. Same goes for my LG washer/dryer.
Ha, I love my Tromm steamwasher and dryer as well
Old 07-28-08, 08:13 PM
jwaters
Pole Position

The steam setting rocks for people who hate to iron (me).

But I digress, we're getting a bit off topic.
Old 07-28-08, 09:05 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jwaters
I'd also like to know how the Navigation system is dated. Go ahead, I'm waiting.

Hint: It's not. I've owned a Mitsubishi, Honda, & Lexus w/ OEM Nav. The Genesis is better than any of them. The screen is nice and bright with very clear graphics/fonts. The backup camera is nice and clear and doesn't take 5-10 seconds to engage *cough, Honda, cough*. The iPod integration is the best I've seen yet, and the controller feels nice and solid and moves with fluid "clicks". (It's actually built by the same supplier as Audi's MMI contoller FWIW). The audio system also sounds very nice, but not noticeably nicer than the base Lexicon system that comes w/ the Premium Package.

Great pics of the interior of your Genesis. I would like to see more if that is ok with you?

Your pics really show how far other manufacturers have come in that last few years....Cars like the GS and LS are great cars but cars like the M35, M45, 5 series and now Genesis have really made the GS and LS boring and those cars have not been out too long.
Old 07-28-08, 09:19 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by tofu_house
It's Hyundai's first attempt and from what I've seen, they've done one hell of a job. Sure, they're tackling the market very aggressively. One example would be offering a V8 even before Acura/Honda. And they're not going to get it perfect in one shot. Lexus/Toyota can't do that so what makes you think Hyundai would be able to do it on their first try?
Lexus DID it in 1989 when they made the LS400.
Old 07-28-08, 10:29 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
I don't even think the GS has a AUX dash input...Its not listed on the features for the GS....Also I notice there is no multi media controller either.
Right, but it does have a cassette player.
Old 07-28-08, 11:42 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Lexus DID it in 1989 when they made the LS400.
We're talking about the v8 Tau here - and you know what? They "might" just do it. I think this engine is going to be excellent. Also keep in mind that competition is much tougher now than it was in 1989. In 1989, everyone was caught looking the other way when the LS400 came out. Not so in this day and age. The S550, LS460 and 750 are all at the top of their game..

This car will succeed where the Phaeton failed because the Phaeton costed far, far too much money. Why not just buy an Audi A8? For Hyundai, there is no alternative and the price is low. How much less expensive was the Phaeton than an Audi A8? How much less expensive is a Genesis compared to <enter model name here>? There's a big difference...

This car is going to steal plenty of sales from the Toyota Avalon, Buick Lucerne and Chrysler 300.. It's also going to steal sales from those who would have STRAINED to buy a Mercedes, Lexus or BMW before this hit showrooms - and showed people that they could afford luxury without being wealthy (just like Lexus did in 1989). It's also going to steal SOME sales from Cadillac, Mercedes, BMW, Lexus and the rest of 'em - how? The people who've owned the cars and haven't noticed their lives improve any as a result - will gladly give the Genesis a try.

If you're wealthy, than you know at least a few wealthy people who drive cars that don't fit their perceived image. These people will also be interested in the Genesis.. This car is going to sell plenty - and other manufacturers are worried about it.
Old 07-29-08, 07:54 AM
jwaters
Pole Position

Good points Sal!

On a somewhat related sidenote, when walking out of Costco yesterday they had a new C300 parked in front advertising their Auto Buying Program. The MSRP was $37.7k. It had MB-Tex (vinyl) seating and no Nav. I'm sorry, but give me a Genesis anyday over that!
Old 07-29-08, 08:16 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 734 Likes on 506 Posts

Lexus doesn't use MMI's, they use touchscreens fyi. I'm personally trying to find time to go down and give the car a test drive myself. Although I'm going to wait for the v-8s to come out.
Old 07-29-08, 08:45 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

This car is going to steal plenty of sales from the Toyota Avalon, Buick Lucerne and Chrysler 300
I don't think the Genersis is going to steal anything from the Avalon, Lucerne or 300...I think the ES, GS, M35, M45, Bmw 530 and some Audi are going to lose some sales.

The Genesis is going to force Lexus/infiniti to bring down their prices while offering some more for the money.
Old 07-29-08, 08:46 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 734 Likes on 506 Posts

Don't underestimate the power of the badge...
Old 07-29-08, 08:56 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Genesis is going to force Lexus/infiniti to bring down their prices while offering some more for the money.
That's what we hope will happen. A competitive market is best for buyers.
Old 07-29-08, 09:27 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Koma
That's what we hope will happen. A competitive market is best for buyers.
I think Toyota really needs to rethink the whole ES during the next redesign. I think the vehicle is priced a little too high for what you get especially when the competition offers a lot.

The new Lincoln MKS is superb, Acura TL, Infinit M35 can all be had for about the same money as an ES. I would like to see the ES become Avalon sized. Car like the Genesis put a lot of pressure on Toyota to try to sell a Lexus at a high mark up.

Either move Lexus way upscale or bring it down a little.

The L-finese styling is a dud and needs to be overhauled.
Old 07-29-08, 10:08 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

I think Toyota really needs to rethink the whole ES during the next redesign. I think the vehicle is priced a little too high for what you get especially when the competition offers a lot.

The new Lincoln MKS is superb, Acura TL, Infinit M35 can all be had for about the same money as an ES. I would like to see the ES become Avalon sized. Car like the Genesis put a lot of pressure on Toyota to try to sell a Lexus at a high mark up.

Either move Lexus way upscale or bring it down a little.

The L-finese styling is a dud and needs to be overhauled.
They probably will make changes to the next gen ES based on the competition. The current gen however has sold better than the previous ES ever did, selling 75k-80k cars per year so far. Sales will be down this year due to the economy and the need for a mid-cycle refresh.

Quick Reply: Impressions Of My Genesis Test Drive