Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Impressions Of My Genesis Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-08, 04:04 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by werewolf
If the handling / driving feel didn't matter then why make a v-8 RWD platform?

I think Hyundai typically makes FWD cars so moving to a RWD platform would have cost them some money.

Hyundai needs to position the product vs the market. If it hangs its hat on reliability and build quality, then it will take years for that to sink in, needing proof that the Genesis is 'Japanese/Lexus/Acura' reliable. If it takes the luxury angle, that's a loser b/c luxury also requires exclusivity and higher price points. If it takes a performance angle, then that is something the press can write about today. Remember the g35 sedan for infiniti (their breakthrough vehicle IMHO)? It got press b/c it drove well and was cheaper than the direct competition. Performance and handling I think are Hyundai's quick path to market. Now can they do it? That's another question
I never said handling and driving dynamics didn't matter. For one, I separate handling and performance from driving dynamics. Different things IMHO. A car can feel great to drive like a BMW 325i with sports package but have average performance.

What I did say is I don't believe driving dynamics will win over the customers to this Genesis because I don't believe this car will have equal much less better driving dynamics than cars from Acura or Infiniti. In the future perhaps driving dynamics will and should be Hyundai's focus and that would be a smart thing to do IMHO.
Old 07-30-08, 09:33 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
The Azera is another car that on paper seems to offer A LOT for the money vs. its competition (Avalon, Maxima, Lucerne etc.) but hasn't come close to those cars in sales. The V6 Genesis will no doubt take sales from it too. Just goes to show that it takes more than just pricing and feature content to be a success.
The Azera was an absolute marketing failure. It didn't sell because it was never marketed. I'm just beginning to see a lot of Azeras on the road. It's taken years, but people are buying them. Hyundai has serious marketing problems. However, they've got a nice advertising budget for the Genesis.
Old 07-30-08, 09:35 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm so happy to see that Lexus owners and enthusiasts are finally able to get their revenge on society for all the flack they've taken over the years from Mercedes and BMW owners and enthusiasts.

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
Im not going change the fact that I hate Korean vehicles in order to please people on the forum...so I'll continue to bash the automaker all I want to. I dont need to see positives in this vehicle, because they are of no concern to me.

Lexus/Toyota did it, and im not saying Hyundai cant try, but I will not support their efforts.
Old 07-30-08, 09:55 PM
LexFather

And this has run its course......