Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hate toward imports?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-08, 07:24 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts
Question Hate toward imports?

The title says it all, who do some people resent imports so much, more so japanese cars than any other. And most of these people tend to be people who drive ford/chevy/dodge pickup trucks with no reason what so ever than to have a bigger car than any one else on the road, or people who think anyone who drives and import is destroying the American economy or is funding terrorism, although these are extremes and not all of these are true. I mean there are people who drive german car's that don't like some japanese cars , but like at least a few and have respect for them, but people who don't, well they just can't get it through their heads that american cars should be the only ones on the road. i mean i was talking to a guy on facebook whoes father drove an is250. he said it was nice, high quality, but said that any american car was better because the is' rear view was bad, still nice guy though. Do you guys catch my drift, or have you ever experienced this, cause it bugs the heck out of me. I mean i tried to like American cars, i really did but after a few we were tired of problems and went to imports. Although, i do respect old school american cars like the eldorado, continental, and the bel air along with others....... but my hate for hummers and escalades is never ending, the escalde only because it doesn't do what an suv should be able to do, go offroad and im not talking mud trails and 6 feet of snow, im talking driving down the road in 7 inches of snow and not losing control
Old 07-27-08, 07:42 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I know what you mean and i cant give u an answer but i hate ricers.

i live by alot so its common for me to get challenged daily by a mustang or something. I just ignore them, since the police headquarters are a block down.
Old 07-28-08, 01:11 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Same reason why there is so much hate for American cars.
Old 07-28-08, 10:02 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont hate either type of car

i dislike people who buy what ever car and then proceed to tell everyone else why their car is superior to EVERYTHING ... and if you disagree you must be a complete moron
Old 07-28-08, 11:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

What many people simply don't realize is that today there is truly a global auto insustry. While, of course, certain vehicles sold in Europe and Japan (mostly minicars) are not available in the U.S. or Canada, for the most part, there is no such thing as a purely "American" or purely "foreign" car any more....the complexity of parts and supply sourcing is incredibly complex.

Take the Saturn Astra, for example, which I recently reviewed.......an "American" compact sold and marketed by GM's Saturn Division. It has an American nameplate.....fine. It was designed in Germany by GM's Opel division. The engine is built in Hungary. Transmissions come from Austria. Other major parts come from Germany and numerous Eueopean nations. Final asembly is a plant in Belgium. The finished car is sold, in slightly tweaked versions, as a British Vauxhall Astra, German Opel Astra, and, of course, an American Saturn Astra. So, unlike the more-or-less truly American Saturn S-series of the 1990's, today's car buyer rolls out of a Saturn dealership thinking he/she has an all-American compact, when in reality he/she is driving a conglomeration of parts from all over Europe.

The Astra, by no means, is alone....this is more or less typical of the majority, if not most, of today's vehicles. Even the big "All-American" Ford Crown Victoria........popular with police and taxi operators, and your classic stereotype baseball/hot-dogs/ apple-pie American dinosaur....actually has more foreign-sourced parts in it than domestic (that was done for CAFE reasons).

Another small car I recently reviewed, the Chevy Aveo, is the same thing.....a foreign-sourced car with an American nameplate. It is built in South Korea, by the Daewoo Corporation, for Chevy, primarily because Daewoo does not sell in the U.S. any more under its own nameplate, and GM has a financial interest in it.

So, my point is, if you think you are buying an "American" vehicle at that Ford, GM, or Chrysler dealership..............you will very likely have to think again.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-28-08 at 12:06 PM.
Old 07-28-08, 12:25 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Faymester
i dont hate either type of car

i dislike people who buy what ever car and then proceed to tell everyone else why their car is superior to EVERYTHING ... and if you disagree you must be a complete moron
+1

I know a guy who has a BASE Mercedes C320 and he thinks it's the best vehicle in the world. It doesnt even have navigation or HIDs, but he justifies that by saying HID looks cheap and navigation "degrades" a vehicle.
Old 07-29-08, 08:17 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
What many people simply don't realize is that today there is truly a global auto insustry. While, of course, certain vehicles sold in Europe and Japan (mostly minicars) are not available in the U.S. or Canada, for the most part, there is no such thing as a purely "American" or purely "foreign" car any more....the complexity of parts and supply sourcing is incredibly complex.

Take the Saturn Astra, for example, which I recently reviewed.......an "American" compact sold and marketed by GM's Saturn Division. It has an American nameplate.....fine. It was designed in Germany by GM's Opel division. The engine is built in Hungary. Transmissions come from Austria. Other major parts come from Germany and numerous Eueopean nations. Final asembly is a plant in Belgium. The finished car is sold, in slightly tweaked versions, as a British Vauxhall Astra, German Opel Astra, and, of course, an American Saturn Astra. So, unlike the more-or-less truly American Saturn S-series of the 1990's, today's car buyer rolls out of a Saturn dealership thinking he/she has an all-American compact, when in reality he/she is driving a conglomeration of parts from all over Europe.

The Astra, by no means, is alone....this is more or less typical of the majority, if not most, of today's vehicles. Even the big "All-American" Ford Crown Victoria........popular with police and taxi operators, and your classic stereotype baseball/hot-dogs/ apple-pie American dinosaur....actually has more foreign-sourced parts in it than domestic (that was done for CAFE reasons).

Another small car I recently reviewed, the Chevy Aveo, is the same thing.....a foreign-sourced car with an American nameplate. It is built in South Korea, by the Daewoo Corporation, for Chevy, primarily because Daewoo does not sell in the U.S. any more under its own nameplate, and GM has a financial interest in it.

So, my point is, if you think you are buying an "American" vehicle at that Ford, GM, or Chrysler dealership..............you will very likely have to think again.
exactly what I was going to type....

So is it better to to buy a Toyota built in the US so US workers assembled it or a Ford built in Mexico?

Last edited by bagwell; 07-29-08 at 08:43 AM. Reason: spelling!
Old 07-29-08, 08:31 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

^^^ that is what i said, on facebook on a group that covered this whole thing and they still persisted that more money gos toward japan than the u.s. and tht there is currency munipulation making it unfair for american cars, not sure how that works out though personally, it just sort of bugs me, just because you got an american badge on the car, doesn't mean it's as american as you think
Old 07-29-08, 08:40 AM
leedogg
Lead Lap

I once saw a really cool diagram of where different model cars/brands are made, and you could see all the american brands being made in south america vs a lot of the japanese cars being made in the US. Wish I could find that diagram again
Old 07-29-08, 08:53 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i think it's silly. a true enthusiast appreciates all cars no matter where they're built. i run into the bias a lot though since i'm on a dodge diesel truck forum too and thsoe guys are always against imports or ricers. i usually keep my mouth shut becuase i'm definitley in the minority over there but sometimes i have to say something because it's ridiculous.
i've owned just about every brand of car over my lifetime and always liked them all for whatever their positive aspects were.
Old 07-29-08, 12:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
exactly what I was going to type....

Good. That shows you were thinking.

So is it better to to buy a Toyota built in the US so US workers assembled it or a Ford built in Mexico?
That's one reason why me and others on CAR CHAT do car reviews....to help people decide those questions. The most important things when buying a vehicle, IMO, is what you get for your money, and if that vehicle is suitable for your needs or not. All else, as I see it, including country or countries of origin, is secondary and superfluous .

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-29-08 at 12:26 PM.
Old 07-29-08, 05:35 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I get annoyed at the people who think they are better than me for buying a Focus, Cobalt, etc. and that they are keeping Americans working. Yeah, your Focus was made in Mexico. My Legacy was made in Indiana, by Americans.
Old 07-29-08, 06:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I get annoyed at the people who think they are better than me for buying a Focus, Cobalt, etc. and that they are keeping Americans working. Yeah, your Focus was made in Mexico. My Legacy was made in Indiana, by Americans.
..........not to mention the fact that both the Focus and Cobalt come off of GM world-platforms that are tweaked in different versions for different countries. The American Focus is different from the European Focus in a number of ways, but both started from the same basic platform. The Cobalt's basic platform was also used for different cars that are sold in different countries.

The Subaru plant in Lafayette, IN that produced your Legacy (the same plant that built my Outback), now produces Toyota Camrys as well, since Toyota bought out part of Subaru.
Old 07-29-08, 07:08 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Yeah I am wondering if the Camry hybrid will be produced there one day since supposedly a Legacy hybrid (via Toyota technology) is coming. Which would be perfect since the Tribeca is also made there. Subaru could offer both of those vehicles in hybrid form and save the money of having to retool multiple plants.

Kinda dissapointed that Subaru's own hybrid, the TPH was cancelled. So much promise, but then they are a small company that can only afford so much.
Old 07-29-08, 10:50 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Funny because I hate american cars. I guess it goes both ways. Buying American means buying the best product for the best price. Thats why I only by cars from lexus, infiniti, or acura. I wont even buy a german car. Great design, poor reliability, and over priced. What I care about is who designed it. The american car companies couldnt come up with reliable designs if their lives depended on it. Too bad it probably does at this point. You reap what you sew

Quick Reply: Hate toward imports?