Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Set To Increase Prius Production by 70 Percent

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-08, 11:20 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Toyota Set To Increase Prius Production by 70 Percent

Toyota is reportedly making adjustments to its production in Japan so it can build lots more Priuses (2008 Touring Edition pictured).

TOKYO, Japan — In one of the more encouraging bits of news this week for consumers weary of high fuel prices, the Nikkan Kogyo industry daily said on Friday that Toyota will produce 70 percent more Prius hybrids next year. That would hike annual output to about 480,000, making the Prius more widely available to the Japanese automaker's global customers.

"I can't confirm or deny [the report]," Curt McAllister, Toyota's Detroit spokesman told Inside Line on Friday.

The newspaper reported that Toyota would shift production of the Wish minivan, which is built alongside the Prius at its Tsutsumi factory, to an unnamed factory in the spring. The move would free up production for more Prius hybrids.

Toyota sold 281,300 Prius vehicles worldwide in 2007 and has been battling a battery shortage. The Japanese automaker recently said it will start building the Prius at its new Mississippi plant from 2010.

What this means to you: The long wait for a Prius may be eased next year if rumors are true of the production shift in Japan. — Anita Lienert, Correspondent
Source: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...cleId=129927#2
Old 07-28-08, 11:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I may be wrong (someone correct me if I am), but I don't think Toyota actually produces the battery pack for its hybrids....most manufacturers don't. The number of hybrids you can actually roll out the factory door, is, of course, dependent on the number of battery packs you can get from suppliers. Right now, for obvious reasons, hybrid production among many manufacturers is going full steam, and the question will be if Toyota can get the supply it needs for a production increase. Then, even it Toyota DOES get more components, some of them go to Ford for use in the Escape/Mariner Hybrids, which are Toyota Hybrid systems, built and sold under license, and attached to Ford engines.

And, last, of course, if the supply problems can be worked out for a 70% production increase, Toyota will have the additional challenge of keeping the Prius quality level up. The current Prius is one of the most reliable and well-built cars in the industry (despite its mechanical and electronic complexity), and one of the things that recent history has shown is that quality went down at Toyota when production and expansion went up....especially in the Camry and Tundra lines.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-28-08 at 11:39 AM.
Old 07-28-08, 06:48 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, you are right in that Toyota does not manufacture the batteries themselves.

Well recall that Toyota did not increase production of the current Prius though the demand is there. I believe this to be an effort to build up a supply of batteries for the next generation Prius, something people will be willing to spend more money on because supposedly it will be more powerful and more efficient.

Also, perhaps the 70% production increase includes the dedicated Lexus hybrid, something I am sure that Toyota planned for.

What I'd like to see. I think we can all say that the next Prius will be even bigger than the second gen. I am just hoping that they do it right. Keep the weight the same, utilize the 1.8L (as its just about on par as the 1.5L), and most importantly to me, direct inject that engine. Its such an easy way to boost power, reduce fuel concumption, and minimize pollutants.
Old 07-28-08, 07:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
What I'd like to see. I think we can all say that the next Prius will be even bigger than the second gen. I am just hoping that they do it right. Keep the weight the same, utilize the 1.8L (as its just about on par as the 1.5L), and most importantly to me, direct inject that engine. Its such an easy way to boost power, reduce fuel concumption, and minimize pollutants.
And PUT THE GAUGES BACK WHERE THEY BELONG.........behind the steering wheel.
Old 07-28-08, 07:06 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
And PUT THE GAUGES BACK WHERE THEY BELONG.........behind the steering wheel.
Seriously. I enjoy driving my soon to be sister in law's Prius, but that speedo drives me nuts.
Old 07-28-08, 10:20 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

1) If you ever worked in a real production enviroment, if you estimate 70% gross output you also account for 70% BOM output...basic procurement process

2) Actually when I drove a Prius for one week, I looked more at the mpg lcd monitor than anything else, hence the middle speedo would make a lot of sense....hypermiling is addictive, if done safely of course.
Old 07-29-08, 07:15 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ST430
2) Actually when I drove a Prius for one week, I looked more at the mpg lcd monitor than anything else, hence the middle speedo would make a lot of sense....hypermiling is addictive, if done safely of course.
You know I wasn't convinced that our 400h got all that great of city gas mileage until the other day when I was in stop and go and I watched the average shoot up. Nothing like seeing a line of cars, but realizing its okay cause all the braking is electricity for your bats.