Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Jalopnik; The Ten Ugliest Cars Currently Sold In The United States

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-08, 12:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I don't agree with the Prius or the Focus. The Impreza is god awful. They had better refresh that good if they want my money. The PT cruiser isn't on the list? What gives?

Oh and I woulda put all the Acura sedans on there.
Acura sedans? Yes and no. Some of their new grilles are awful, but overall they aren't too bad in the looks department.

The PT Cruiser was deliberately designed to be something radically different from the typical Wagon/SUV fold. Its styling was meant to recapture the late 1930's gangster look,............which it does, to some extent, particularly in the rear.

I agree the new Impreza's body, especially in the 5-door hatchback, leaves a bit to be desired, but the Impreza, IMO, has never been a truly good-looking car to start with, and most of its owners don't buy it for its looks. The Impreza's real beauty shines under the sheet metal, where it has some of the best mechanicals and AWD systems in the industry. The new interior, yes, has a lot of hard plastic, but it is good-looking, thick, durable plastic, not cheap dime-store stuff like, say, the rival Dodge Caliber. If I, myself, were spending less than 20-21K on a new car, the Impreza would be my first choice, hands-down.
Old 07-29-08, 01:15 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The Toyota Prius is the Ugg boot of the automotive world IMO...
Old 07-29-08, 01:36 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

usa always gets the fugly cars

we need some eu cars
Old 07-29-08, 02:37 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Acura sedans? Yes and no. Some of their new grilles are awful, but overall they aren't too bad in the looks department.

The PT Cruiser was deliberately designed to be something radically different from the typical Wagon/SUV fold. Its styling was meant to recapture the late 1930's gangster look,............which it does, to some extent, particularly in the rear.

I agree the new Impreza's body, especially in the 5-door hatchback, leaves a bit to be desired, but the Impreza, IMO, has never been a truly good-looking car to start with, and most of its owners don't buy it for its looks. The Impreza's real beauty shines under the sheet metal, where it has some of the best mechanicals and AWD systems in the industry. The new interior, yes, has a lot of hard plastic, but it is good-looking, thick, durable plastic, not cheap dime-store stuff like, say, the rival Dodge Caliber. If I, myself, were spending less than 20-21K on a new car, the Impreza would be my first choice, hands-down.
I beg to differ on the looks of the Impreza in recent years. The only ugly one in my mind was the pig-nose grille one which lasted only a few years.
Old 07-29-08, 02:50 PM
LexFather

My list off the top of my head
Acura RDX
Acura MDX
Acura TL
Acura TSX
BMW 6 series
BMW X6
Infiniti EX
Infiniti FX
Infiniti QX56
Honda Pilot
Honda Ridgeline
Honda Element
Jeep Compass
Jeep Commander
Mercedes Benz GLK
Mitsubishi Galant
Mitsubishi Eclipse
Nissan Murano
Toyota Prius
VW EOS
VW Jetta
That just ugliest, I have like 50 finalists. Its amazing how ugly so many vehicles have gotten.

Old 07-29-08, 04:45 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bean
The Corolla can't be too ugly, they're selling the hell out of them. I dont like the way the Chevy Aveo or Cobalt looks nor the Pontiac G5
I'd argue that as long as it has a Toyota badge on it and gets good gas mileage, it will sell.
Old 07-29-08, 05:11 PM
Diemellz
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
Murano is not that bad in my opinion.

I would have BMW 6-series, Mercedes-Benz CLS, Toyota Prius, Chrysler Sebring convertible, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Jeep Compass, Saab 9-5, Smart Fortwo, Dodge Caliber, and Honda Pilot(2009) as my own 10 ugliest car of 2008/2009.
WOW an 6 series and CLS?
Old 07-29-08, 05:38 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Koma
I beg to differ on the looks of the Impreza in recent years. The only ugly one in my mind was the pig-nose grille one which lasted only a few years.
Believe it or not the pig nose was my favorite. I don't know why. It just did it for me more than the bugeyes. My brother had an '01 RS. Very attractive, black leather with red stitching, carbon fiber inside and out. However, the plastic inside was kind of shotty, thus I hung on to my Legacy which is very well put together. No rattles!
Old 07-29-08, 06:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma

In my posts, I myself didn't infer that Imprezas were dreadfully ugly. I was responding to SLegacy99's assertion that the new 2008 Impeza's looks was awful (and he certainly has a right to that view). I countered by saying that, while not the ugliest car out there by any means, I didn't think that Imprezas, in general, over the years, were particularly good-lookers. Yet, underneath the so-so sheet metal, IMO, lurks one of the best compact cars on the planet. And I'll repeat here what I said in the last post.....for 20K or less, that would be my choice for a new car, hands-down.
Old 07-29-08, 10:59 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I think the prius and the focus are the only ugly ones. I dont agree with the rest. The new prius for 2010 looks SOOOO MUCH better than the current model.
Old 07-30-08, 02:06 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
Acura RDX
Acura MDX
Acura TL
Acura TSX
BMW 6 series
BMW X6
Infiniti EX
Infiniti FX
Infiniti QX56
Honda Pilot
Honda Ridgeline
Honda Element
Jeep Compass
Jeep Commander
Mercedes Benz GLK
Mitsubishi Galant
Mitsubishi Eclipse
Nissan Murano
Toyota Prius
VW EOS
VW Jetta
That just ugliest, I have like 50 finalists. Its amazing how ugly so many vehicles have gotten.
i agree with your list
apart from the VWs and the Eclipse and Acura MDX

the X6 being one of the ugliest luxury car ever
Old 07-30-08, 11:30 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Diemellz
WOW an 6 series and CLS?
Oh yeah 6-series's front end looks like the head of a whale, which I don't find attractive. CLS's downward trunk and headlights are way too ugly for my eyes, I can't believe S-class and CLS-class belong to the same company.
Old 07-30-08, 11:54 AM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

How about the nissan versa and the toyota yaris? both cars are very ugly.

Last edited by 2002GGPIS3; 07-30-08 at 12:56 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-30-08, 12:24 PM
wmb0000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
Acura RDX
Acura MDX
Acura TL
Acura TSX
BMW 6 series
BMW X6
Infiniti EX
Infiniti FX
Infiniti QX56
Honda Pilot
Honda Ridgeline
Honda Element
Jeep Compass
Jeep Commander
Mercedes Benz GLK
Mitsubishi Galant
Mitsubishi Eclipse
Nissan Murano
Toyota Prius
VW EOS
VW Jetta
i agreed with your list except the MDX and I actually like the TSX. Although I would add Toyota Corolla, Lexus SC, Honda Accord, All of Scion except for the coupe one forgot the name.
Old 08-03-08, 05:11 PM
BLAZE
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
Oh yeah 6-series's front end looks like the head of a whale, which I don't find attractive. CLS's downward trunk and headlights are way too ugly for my eyes, I can't believe S-class and CLS-class belong to the same company.
Wow, you are buggin'. The cls is soooooooo... hot . I'm quite sure once you really look hard at it and drive it, you will fall in love. My brother bought the cls 55 amg, and when I happened to drive that biatch..............yeah it was on.

Quick Reply: Jalopnik; The Ten Ugliest Cars Currently Sold In The United States