Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My Luxury Sedan Survey

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-08 | 09:33 AM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question My Luxury Sedan Survey

Dear fellow Clublexus members,
I would appreciate your help in simply completing the following 7 question survey for my university assignment:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?s...SBbgQ56w_3d_3d
Old 07-29-08 | 09:55 AM
lexdymndz
Lead Lap

one down. hope that helps.
Old 07-29-08 | 09:58 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Done ...
Old 07-29-08 | 09:59 AM
cjf_moraga
Rookie

Two down.

Chris
Old 07-29-08 | 10:06 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Okay, I did the survey but my answers are not that accurate since you left out a lot of choices. One example is looks. There are a lot of people that take exterior looks into account. I wouldn't buy a lot of great cars simply because I don't like the looks of it.
Old 07-29-08 | 10:36 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Did it and done.
Old 07-29-08 | 10:38 AM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

Just finished it.
Old 07-29-08 | 10:46 AM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

Done.

I chose BMW for the Luxury car question. FLAME ON!
Old 07-29-08 | 11:21 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tofu_house
Done.

I chose BMW for the Luxury car question. FLAME ON!
yea, i did too ... because they're sort of the standard when you're talking about what class of lux car you're thinking about

ie: "like a 3-series or something"
Old 07-29-08 | 11:39 AM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

done... I chose the Benz
Old 07-29-08 | 11:44 AM
LLTD
Driver

It is done.
Old 07-29-08 | 11:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

OK......Done.

A big factor in luxury cars, however, is ride comfort....that issue was not factored into any of your questions/choices. Many so-called "luxury" vehicles today (in fact, most of them), judging by the suspension/seat/tire stiffness, are not "luxury" vehicles at all, but sport sedans. Seats, in turn, have also gotten much stiffer and more firmly-padded. There are almost no mass-produced vehicles left today that, ride/seat-comfort-wise, I would call TRUE luxury cars....the Lexus LS460, Lincoln Town Car, Cadillac DTS, Buick Lucerne, and Mercedes S-Class (non-AMG) come closest; but even THEY are somewhat stiffer and more responsive than their forebearers. The days of true soft-riding luxury-cars, IMO, are gone.
Old 07-29-08 | 12:42 PM
chrisyano
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Done.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
OK......Done.

A big factor in luxury cars, however, is ride comfort....that issue was not factored into any of your questions/choices. Many so-called "luxury" vehicles today (in fact, most of them), judging by the suspension/seat/tire stiffness, are not "luxury" vehicles at all, but sport sedans. Seats, in turn, have also gotten much stiffer and more firmly-padded. There are almost no mass-produced vehicles left today that, ride/seat-comfort-wise, I would call TRUE luxury cars....the Lexus LS460, Lincoln Town Car, Cadillac DTS, Buick Lucerne, and Mercedes S-Class (non-AMG) come closest; but even THEY are somewhat stiffer and more responsive than their forebearers. The days of true soft-riding luxury-cars, IMO, are gone.
It's funny because my first car was a Buick Century (ten years old when I got it). I'm sure the suspension and shocks were shot, but my friends and I all called it a "couch on wheels" because the ride was so soft. I look back with fondness at that car even though it didn't last very long and essentially fell apart very quickly. It didn't qualify as a luxury car though. Perhaps wannabe luxury .
Old 07-29-08 | 12:46 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

While I would agree with you mmarshall, I'm going to argue anyhow ('cause I'm strange like that).

Who says 'luxury' has to be soft? Luxury is often defined as something completely inessential but condusive to personal pleasure. So perhaps cushyness gives you inessential pleasure but that seems like only a part of what can be concidered luxury.

Hunting & jumping w. horses is concidered a luxury sport, but I don't really see too much cushyness going on there. Or how about yachting? Sure the boat may have nice amenities but as for a plush soft experience there really isn't one; the decks and outdoor lounging serfaces are hard-er, the sea can put up a bit of a fight in your destination (even when the water is calm, it's not like walking on air or anything). Lastly, how about flying? Not commuter flights in economy class, but in first class or maybe even flying the plane your self. Sure it's better than many other ways to get from A to B but it is aslo very a inessential method and not the most soft experience.

Those are all concidered 'luxury' and I think sometimes luxury is in the inessentialness of the activity, not necessarilly in the air-like comfort of it.
Old 07-29-08 | 12:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Faymester
While I would agree with you mmarshall, I'm going to argue anyhow ('cause I'm strange like that).

Who says 'luxury' has to be soft? Luxury is often defined as something completely inessential but condusive to personal pleasure. So perhaps cushyness gives you inessential pleasure but that seems like only a part of what can be concidered luxury.

Hunting & jumping w. horses is concidered a luxury sport, but I don't really see too much cushyness going on there. Or how about yachting? Sure the boat may have nice amenities but as for a plush soft experience there really isn't one; the decks and outdoor lounging serfaces are hard-er, the sea can put up a bit of a fight in your destination (even when the water is calm, it's not like walking on air or anything). Lastly, how about flying? Not commuter flights in economy class, but in first class or maybe even flying the plane your self. Sure it's better than many other ways to get from A to B but it is aslo very a inessential method and not the most soft experience.

Those are all concidered 'luxury' and I think sometimes luxury is in the inessentialness of the activity, not necessarilly in the air-like comfort of it.
No problem. I understand your views. The traditional view of luxury on wheels, though, is the way I defined it....softness, plushness, and noise isolation. Those cars, over the years, have either all disappeared or have been converted to semi-sports sedans. That's partly because today's automakers are trying to have it both ways.....doing "luxury" interiors with "sport" underpinings, and dropping traditional luxury touches like wood/fake wood for aluminum and carbon-fiber.

Of course, your view of "luxury" has merit, and I don't dispute it. However, it is not the traditional view....and many of today's car buyers who like traditional luxury are all but being ignored. That is going to hurt a lot of car manufacturers in the next few years when the enormous Baby-Boom generation (the largest generation in U.S. history) retires in force and is ready for new cars. Many of them are not going to want sport sedans, but plush-mobiles like the Caddys/Lincolns/Buicks their parents had back in the 60's and 70's. Cadillac, for example, is dong well right now by selling imitation BMWs, but that's not going to work in the long run....they will have to get back to their roots.

Quick Reply: My Luxury Sedan Survey