Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Supra

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-08, 06:09 AM
cip
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
The Supra was an overbuilt all out sports car, hardly luxurious. The IS-F is a high output sports luxury sedan.
Hold on a minute there professor...

"The car shares the same chassis as the MKIV 1993-1998 model Toyota Supra. Both cars suspension, brakes, drivetrains, and engine parts are interchangeable."

http://www.cars-directory.net/history/toyota/soarer/

While the Supra is/was a solid 90's sports car it did share the major components with the SC which is definitely a luxury Sport Coupe.

Yes it was built with a purpose... to compete w/ the RX-7, 3000GT, & 300ZX, but it was not an 'all-out' sports car.
Old 07-31-08, 06:46 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cip
Hold on a minute there professor...

"The car shares the same chassis as the MKIV 1993-1998 model Toyota Supra. Both cars suspension, brakes, drivetrains, and engine parts are interchangeable."

http://www.cars-directory.net/history/toyota/soarer/

While the Supra is/was a solid 90's sports car it did share the major components with the SC which is definitely a luxury Sport Coupe.

Yes it was built with a purpose... to compete w/ the RX-7, 3000GT, & 300ZX, but it was not an 'all-out' sports car.
Alright maybe it wasn't a race spec raw sports car but the IS-F, in my opinion, isn't in the same class as the Supra. The SC300 (comparable to a NA Supra) weighed almost 300lbs more than the NA Supra. That's a lot of weight difference in a car with the same chassis and same engine. The Supra did have some luxury aspecs but luxury was mostly meant for the higher priced SC300.
Old 07-31-08, 09:54 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
While the IS-F does weigh some 300lbs more than a Supra TT, the Supra did have ABS and traction control. The ISx50 is quite heavy as a platform (3500lbs just about the same as the Supra) to begin with. It also isn't a fair comparison because they're quite different in target. The Supra was an overbuilt all out sports car, hardly luxurious. The IS-F is a high output sports luxury sedan.

I would say it has something to do with the fact that the Supra TT had a manual transmission able to throw a lot more of it's power down. Given the IS-F has lockable gears it is still an automatic which does reduce the actual power to the wheels.
The Supra also had an LSD.
You forgot to mention that the Supra TT power figures were totally underrated also. My 97 Supra TT w/ just an exhaust and DP made 345 whp. I've seen stock Supra TT dyno at 310whp (on an MD no less, not a Dynocrap)....
Old 07-31-08, 10:37 AM
SilverBull
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would take a Supra over an IS-F any day of the week. The IS-F is still a lexus attempt at being a sports car. There is still no option for a manual tranny. Lexus needs to come out with a nice gearbox besides their automatics.
Old 07-31-08, 10:41 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SilverBull
I would take a Supra over an IS-F any day of the week. The IS-F is still a lexus attempt at being a sports car. There is still no option for a manual tranny. Lexus needs to come out with a nice gearbox besides their automatics.
I'm curious on your answers, but why do they need a manual tranny? Are there customers going to go racing? Do people missing heal and toeing in traffic that much? Or is this just a ego thing that screams, "yes, i'm a real sports car (albeit i can't drive like one)".

Don't get me wrong, my last 4 sports cars (Lance Evo IX, Honda S2000, 2 Supra TTs) had manual and I loved them when I drove them at the track. But on the streets, I'd love to get a DSG / manumatic anyday!
Old 07-31-08, 11:57 AM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

a shifter with 9 slots would look wierd.
Old 07-31-08, 12:02 PM
LLTD
Driver

I always want a Supra. sadly still can't afford one haha.
Old 07-31-08, 12:44 PM
Initial B
Lead Lap

Supra was a GT car, and the odometer is scary-easy to disconnect, which is part of the reason I gave up hope on finding a clean one after I sold my '97 6-spd. Lexus DOES need a manual tranny, or a bonafide DSG tranny. This manumatic **** is a waste of time. LSD should also be a given in any performance car. Supra > IS-F
Old 07-31-08, 12:59 PM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by B Dot
What I would have done to be able to buy one of these brand new Had a MK3 and it was sweet wish I had the money for of these.
Got my TT 6sp back new in 94 I was a high school student and a volunteer at a local senior center.... it was some tough time back then

Now you can get one pretty cheap my co-worker just pick up a 93 TT auto with 160k miles clean title for 11 or 12k... even with 160k these thing still run pretty strong...
Old 07-31-08, 01:06 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
the Supra had:
-ABS
-Traction control
-Driver and Passenger airbags
-3,445lbs curb weight
-0-60mph in 4.9s
-0.98g

the IS-F:
-96+hp more (a decent bit more if u use the same standard as was used for the supra)
-56+ lb/ft of torque
-Driver, Passenger, Head, Side, and perhaps more airbags
-4 doors
-3,780lbs curb weight
-0-60 in 4.6s

15 years...and 0.3s, granted, the IS-F is a lovely car, but until toyota comes out with a true purpose built sports car, you can't really compare....
Very good info and I totally agree with the conclusion. But Toyota seems more interested in building yet more boring boxes.
Old 07-31-08, 01:09 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
I'm curious on your answers, but why do they need a manual tranny? Are there customers going to go racing? Do people missing heal and toeing in traffic that much? Or is this just a ego thing that screams, "yes, i'm a real sports car (albeit i can't drive like one)".

Don't get me wrong, my last 4 sports cars (Lance Evo IX, Honda S2000, 2 Supra TTs) had manual and I loved them when I drove them at the track. But on the streets, I'd love to get a DSG / manumatic anyday!
Kinda depends where one lives I think. In traffic, I agree with you a stick is no fun. But on empty roads it's great fun. Yes, DSG is truly amazing, but still not the same visceral feel as a stick. And a stick is likely to be less expensive than a DSG.

But if I lived near a lot of traffic, no way I'd want a stick.

Oh and on a track I'd want DSG One less thing to think about.
Old 07-31-08, 01:25 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

You dont need to race to enjoy a manual. I like rowing my own gears because I'm engaged in driving, even though I go through the same commute every day. No one needs an F1 paddle shifter for the streets either, but it's there for your personal enjoyment
Old 07-31-08, 01:51 PM
B Dot
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
You dont need to race to enjoy a manual. I like rowing my own gears because I'm engaged in driving, even though I go through the same commute every day. No one needs an F1 paddle shifter for the streets either, but it's there for your personal enjoyment
+1 I dont race my 5spd ES 300(ok sometimes) but I just enjoy driving stick more then auto. I like the control over my own gear changes.
Old 07-31-08, 02:36 PM
SilverBull
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The whole manual transmission is just more fun. This is coming from someone who just recently crossed over from automatics. I now have a stick and love it. I have driven a Lambo with their E-transmission and it just doesn't feel right. Many people will disagree with me but after driving a car with three pedals and taking the time to learn how to do it right. I can say this, there is no skill involved in a paddle shifter transmission like the IS-F or IS350. There is skill revolved around driving an old fashion 6 speed gearbox. It is fun, you have more engine feel it requires work. At the end of the drive you feel like you drove a car instead of being driven to a location.
Old 07-31-08, 02:46 PM
ST430
Pole Position

The whole manual transmission is just more fun. This is coming from someone who just recently crossed over from automatics. I now have a stick and love it. I have driven a Lambo with their E-transmission and it just doesn't feel right. Many people will disagree with me but after driving a car with three pedals and taking the time to learn how to do it right. I can say this, there is no skill involved in a paddle shifter transmission like the IS-F or IS350. There is skill revolved around driving an old fashion 6 speed gearbox. It is fun, you have more engine feel it requires work. At the end of the drive you feel like you drove a car instead of being driven to a location.

As I said, I can understand the fascination with sticks on a track...but on the streets? Even when i was driving around with my 500hp Evo, i never found myself wanting a stick for the street (and again, i come from a background of tracking cars / racing bikes). There is no skill driving around on the street on a stick (it took me about 1 hour to learn riding one when i first bought mine). Yes, throttle blipping for a perfect double clutch heal and toe rev match is fun at first, but after time, who cares unless you are at the track....I'm not dissing you, just don't understand the fascination with a stick on the street and find it more to be an ego thing than anything else.....

Quick Reply: Toyota Supra