Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Supra

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-08, 10:58 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

^^ well, it's a SPORTS car afterall he's looking at, yes, there are other criteria to consider, but why shouldn't speed be a top priority ?
Old 08-15-08, 11:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
^^ well, it's a SPORTS car afterall he's looking at, yes, there are other criteria to consider, but why shouldn't speed be a top priority ?
Because, like I indicated in the last post, a worn-out engine or transmission isn't going to give you much in the way of speed. The physical condition of the car is the most important thing...especially with used sports cars, which often have been driven hard and/or had abuse. You should check a used car out as much as possible with your eyes and ears, then (if desired) have a techincian look at it............THEN concern yourself with its performance figures.

You are free, of course, to disagree with me, but I see THIS order as top priority, not the reverse.
Old 08-15-08, 11:08 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Because, like I indicated in the last post, a worn-out engine or transmission isn't going to give you much in the way of speed. The physical condition of the car is the most important thing...especially with used sports cars, which often have been driven hard and/or had abuse. You should check a used car out as much as possible with your eyes and ears, then (if desired) have a techincian look at it............THEN concern yourself with its performance figures.

You are free, of course, to disagree with me, but I see THIS order as top priority, not the reverse.
Checking for whether the car is in good shape applies to INDIVIDUAL used cars as you find them available in used lots. What he is asking is the 0-60 times of the car model when it's released-which apply to ALL samples in general, not individual car. So your answer to his post is not really talking about the same thing he is asking
Old 08-15-08, 11:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Checking for whether the car is in good shape applies to INDIVIDUAL used cars as you find them available in used lots. What he is asking is the 0-60 times of the car model when it's released-which apply to ALL samples in general, not individual car. So your answer to his post is not really talking about the same thing he is asking
OK, not worth arguing about. Just my $.02.

For the record, though, I remember when the mid-90's Supras were new, though different magazines and test organizations got different times depending on conditions, in general, manual twin-turbo versions, stock, after break-in, usually did 0-60 between 5.0-5.5 seconds. Quarter-miles were around 13 seconds.
Old 08-15-08, 11:59 AM
carguy101
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shouldn't be a surprise though, Toyota is always about making a business case first & foremost. They don't build a car just for the sake of having it in the line-up & put profits over flash . . .
Making profits is all good, but it's just sad that the biggest and by far the richest car company in the world doesn't have a single fun car in its lineup.
Old 08-15-08, 02:44 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

So if this is true then Toyota is obviously content to continue to neglect the Asian car enthusiast sector and let it be entertained by Nissan and Mazda (and to a lesser extent Honda).

"The forecast for Toyota is dull with a 90% chance of totally boring. Back to you, Jim."
Old 08-15-08, 02:49 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by speedflex
So if this is true then Toyota is obviously content to continue to neglect the Asian car enthusiast sector and let it be entertained by Nissan and Mazda (and to a lesser extent Honda).

"The forecast for Toyota is dull with a 90% chance of totally boring. Back to you, Jim."
AE86 successor anyone....?
Old 08-15-08, 02:50 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by carguy101
Making profits is all good, but it's just sad that the biggest and by far the richest car company in the world doesn't have a single fun car in its lineup.
I guess IS-F isn't fun to you?
Old 08-15-08, 04:24 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb Toyota

Originally Posted by ST430
Maybe he meant Toyota as in just Toyota & not Lexus/Scion.

Old 08-15-08, 04:57 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS69
Toyota Supra Dropped from Production Plans

While GM is pushing forward with lithium-ion battery technology, Toyota will play it safe and move forward with nickel-metal hydride battery powered hybrids. Lithium-ion will come into play after the next-generation Prius makes its debut. A plug-in version of the Prius powered by lithium-ion batteries is expected in mid-2010.

According to Automotive News, the Toyota Sienna and the new Venza crossover are next on the list to get hybrid systems. Both hybrid models will arrive in 2012. 2012 will also be a big year for other models in the Toyota lineup.

A redesign of the Yaris, Camry, Avalon, RAV4 and a new rear-wheel-drive sports coupe will all arrive in 2012. In 2013, we’ll see a redesign of the Corolla and Matrix.

However we have some horrible news for you. If Automotive News is to be believed - and they mostly always are - the Supra has been dropped from Toyota’s production plans due to high mpg requirements.

noooooooooooo theres goes my FT-HS dream...........
ugh such a disappointing speculation
im just hoping its false
Old 08-15-08, 06:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I did an IS-F review a few months ago. Its powertrain is responsive, yes.....especially starting at 3500-4000 RPM.......but, unless you are on a glass-smooth road, the suspension is far too stiff. Toyota/Lexus engineers simply cannot combine ride/handling and chassis dynamics the way that BMW and Mercedes engineers do by giving great handling without a bone-jarring ride.

I have seen this in other Toyota products as well (especially Supras and MR2s). Great handling, unlike BMW, usually goes with an overly-stiff ride.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-15-08 at 06:43 PM.
Old 08-15-08, 10:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by carguy101
You don't find the 'S' version of the Corolla with it's plastic bits tacked on for oh, a good 10HP to be 'fun'?

Last edited by bitkahuna; 08-15-08 at 10:59 PM.
Old 08-16-08, 12:27 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I did an IS-F review a few months ago. Its powertrain is responsive, yes.....especially starting at 3500-4000 RPM.......but, unless you are on a glass-smooth road, the suspension is far too stiff. Toyota/Lexus engineers simply cannot combine ride/handling and chassis dynamics the way that BMW and Mercedes engineers do by giving great handling without a bone-jarring ride.

I have seen this in other Toyota products as well (especially Supras and MR2s). Great handling, unlike BMW, usually goes with an overly-stiff ride.
Different strokes for different folks i guess....maybe it's because I'm much younger than you, but after owning 2 Supra TT's, i found the ride to be one of the softest rides for a real sports car. My previous S2000 and especially my Evo was much more stiff....
Old 08-16-08, 05:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
You don't find the 'S' version of the Corolla with it's plastic bits tacked on for oh, a good 10HP to be 'fun'?
Did you mean the Corolla XRS?
Old 08-16-08, 05:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Different strokes for different folks i guess....maybe it's because I'm much younger than you, but after owning 2 Supra TT's, i found the ride to be one of the softest rides for a real sports car. My previous S2000 and especially my Evo was much more stiff....
No arguments on the Evo (haven't driven an S2000 for a while). The Evo will shake your fillings out over bumps. Even auto enthusiast magazines like Car & Driver/Road & Track complain it is too stiff.

The front suspension on the IS-F wasn't quite the stiffest I've seen, but the rear suspension.....with the rear driveshafts and more unspring weight under it.....is stiff enough to make the rear end hop up and down over highway bumps like a porpoise; to the point of being skittish. It has almost no give at all.

I'm not a terribly big BMW fan, for a several reasons, but drive a couple of new (and not-so-new) ones and I think you'll agree that no one does steering/chassis/suspensions like they do, though a couple of other cars come close.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-16-08 at 05:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Toyota Supra