Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

iPhone is the new G-Tech?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-08, 04:13 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default iPhone is the new G-Tech?

*copy n pasted from another forum*

Dynolicious turns iPhone into cheap performance meter

The world has gone iPhone crazy since Apple released v2.0 of its sleek mobile device, and while GPS and 3G have been big draws, the multitude of available software apps in the new App Store has been the real wild card. One app that has us really psyched is a new automotive performance meter called Dynolicious from BunsenTech.

It uses the accelerometer inside the iPhone to let you record 0-10 through 0-100 times, quarter mile and trap speed, Lateral Gs, horsepower and more. Results are also displayed in real-time on the phone itself with graphs and a speedometer. You can also configure the tool with updates to your car, weight, before and after performance measurements, and keep a complete history of all your runs. The kicker is that you don't even have to plug in your iPhone anywhere, just set it in the cup holder and drive. The folks at Dynolicious promise 0-60 accuracy to within .08 seconds and a quarter mile speed to within 1.5 mph. The performance meter software should also work with the iPod Touch.

The Dynolicious performance meter is now available on iTunes for $12.99 despite its own website saying that it's coming soon. The app has an average rating of four stars out of five so far with 11 user reviews and counting. We're going to purchase the software ASAP and take it for a spin, so we'll let you know soon if it delivers on its lofty promises. Check out more screen shots of Dynolicious in the gallery below. Thanks for the tip, Fooman!

Source: Autoblog.com

Old 07-30-08, 04:18 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats it
im gonna sell my BB8820 and get a iphone 2.0 lol
Old 07-30-08, 04:33 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Since when does the new iPhone have GPS? I thought it was just GPS ready now. Anyway, there are starting to be some really cool apps for the iPhone. I might have to give up my PDA phone for one sooner or later if it has the right apps.
Old 07-30-08, 04:46 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I might have to give up my PDA phone for one sooner or later if it has the right apps.
just give the ifone time to 'cool' down then maybe weesped can get you a discount
Old 07-30-08, 08:01 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Since when does the new iPhone have GPS? I thought it was just GPS ready now. Anyway, there are starting to be some really cool apps for the iPhone. I might have to give up my PDA phone for one sooner or later if it has the right apps.
It has a GPS, but this app is not using the GPS, its using the accelerometer
Old 07-30-08, 08:07 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

the iPhone has GPS. It doesn't have turn by turn yet because they have to sort out the licesing agreements but it will have turn by turn soon. The GPS onthe iPhone is great.
Old 07-30-08, 08:16 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by EZZ
the iPhone has GPS. It doesn't have turn by turn yet because they have to sort out the licesing agreements but it will have turn by turn soon. The GPS onthe iPhone is great.
Well it tracks where you are, and follows you, but it doesn't tell you when to turn

Tom Tom is making an app for it
Old 07-30-08, 08:47 PM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

I just bought it, ill let you guys know how it works. You cant really lose for 12.99
Old 07-31-08, 12:07 PM
Namir
Lead Lap

Does the itouch have the same capability? Its the same as an iphone without the "phone" part right? Don't have an iPhone but i want to try this program out.
Old 07-31-08, 12:48 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by Namir
Does the itouch have the same capability? Its the same as an iphone without the "phone" part right? Don't have an iPhone but i want to try this program out.
If it is an iPod Touch with 2.0 update it will work

Last edited by xioix; 07-31-08 at 09:42 PM.
Old 07-31-08, 03:24 PM
ISFfan
Pole Position

I tried this yesterday and it worked well for one run after calibrating it and everything. then now when i try it, I press start run, then the circle on the test screen turns yellow and says "calibrating please wait" and then all of a sudden randomly starts timing, so I cannot tell exactly when to start accellerating.

Is anyone else having this problem? What did you do to get it to work?

Thanks

-Nick
Old 07-31-08, 05:14 PM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

I would think the phone would need to be placed completely flat on its back and the top pointing forward for it to work properly. Have you guys tried that?
Old 08-01-08, 08:34 AM
Namir
Lead Lap

Hey Nick, you might want to try turning the starting sensitivity down. The program automatically starts timing when it detects .1G of acceleration (I think thats the default setting). You could turn it up a bit so that it requires a greater "trigger" as its called. Also, make sure that your car is completely stopped when you are in the calibrating mode, and that the iPhone is secure in some location.

Was everyone able to do the "calibration" in the settings menu? Every time I go through it I am able to calibrate the vertical and horizontal directions but it gets stuck when I lay it flat.
Old 08-01-08, 08:36 AM
Namir
Lead Lap

Oh, and it does work for the iTouch 2.0
Old 08-01-08, 12:27 PM
D.Jobin
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Namir
Was everyone able to do the "calibration" in the settings menu? Every time I go through it I am able to calibrate the vertical and horizontal directions but it gets stuck when I lay it flat.
Mine does the same thing. I can't name my vehicle either.

As far as times, I was able to achieve a 14.38 @ 98.3 mph, which is disappointing.

Quick Reply: iPhone is the new G-Tech?