Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes SLC Gullwing Spied With Door Up (+ Leaked shots of Mercedes SLC interior)

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-08, 06:00 PM
LexFather

Post Mercedes SLC Gullwing Spied With Door Up (+ Leaked shots of Mercedes SLC interior)

Old 07-30-08, 07:41 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it's got potential. The gullwing is, after all, pretty iconic.
Old 07-30-08, 07:46 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks alright. A little viper-ish from the back.
Old 07-30-08, 09:10 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

Very nice find.
Old 07-31-08, 07:04 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Update: Mercedes-Benz SLC gullwing door revealed

Update: Mercedes-Benz SLC gullwing door revealed

Posted on Thursday 31 July 2008

Mercedes’ successor to the original SL gullwing coupe has been spotted once again in prototype form and this time one of the car’s new vertical lifting doors has been revealed. Until now prototypes for the car, which is tipped to be called the SLC, have been heavily camouflaged, even wearing mock Dodge Viper panels.

The latest images give us a much better indication as to what the final version may look like, with a long hood, truncated rear cabin and short rear deck highlighting the design. An adjustable rear spoiler is also present, although the final design will almost certainly change before production.

The SLC has already been touted as the replacement for the outgoing Mercedes-McLaren SLR but its expected price tag and performance levels will position it closer to the current SL63 AMG. According to latest reports the final price of the SLC will be around €150,000 (approximately $234,196) and its world debut is slated for next year’s Frankfurt Motor Show. Production numbers are expected to range between 3,000 and 5,000 units per year and first sales should start in mid 2010.

Power will come from AMG’s familiar hand-built 6.2L V8 engine and is expected to top out at 580hp (433kW). The engine will be located up front but will be mounted behind the front axle for better weight distribution. Drive will be sent to the rear wheels via a newly developed dual-clutch transmission sitting in front of the rear axle. The SLC’s final kerb weight will be around 1,650kg and with the V8 engine the car should be able to accelerate from 0-100km/h in just 3.8 seconds and reach a top speed of 315km/h.
source
Old 09-08-08, 08:18 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Default Spy shots: More Mercedes-Benz SLC ‘Gullwing’

Spy shots: More Mercedes-Benz SLC ‘Gullwing’

Posted on Monday 8 September 2008

Mercedes’ upcoming SL gullwing successor may not be a Mercedes after all as the new supercar will reportedly be the first production model from the German carmaker to be badged exclusively under the brand of its AMG performance arm, perhaps to highlight the car’s performance prowess. Furthermore, it could also be simply called the ‘Gullwing’ as opposed to ‘SLC,’ which most reports have speculated thus far.

The AMG Gullwing is expected to be shown in production trim at the 2010 Geneva Auto Show, while a concept is expected to be shown at Frankfurt next year. A convertible variant, most likely sporting a cloth roof, is expected to be unveiled in 2011.

The car’s exact dimensions have also been reported to be 4.65 meters long, 1.95 meters wide and just 1.25 meters tall, with a wheelbase of just 2.7 meters.

Mercedes’ decision to use only the AMG brand on the new car will also coincide with the release of the company’s first supercar since the end of its partnership with McLaren for the SLR.

Until now prototypes for the car have been heavily camouflaged, even wearing mock Dodge Viper panels at one point. The latest images give us a much better indication as to what the final version may look like, with a long hood, truncated rear cabin and short rear deck highlighting the design. An adjustable rear spoiler is also present, although the final design will almost certainly change before production.

Power will come from AMG’s familiar hand-built 6.2L V8 engine and is expected to top out at 580hp (433kW). The engine will be located up front but will be mounted behind the front axle for better weight distribution. Drive will be sent to the rear wheels via a newly developed dual-clutch transmission sitting in front of the rear axle. The Gullwing’s final kerb weight will be around 1,650kg, and with the V8 engine it should be able to accelerate from 0-100km/h in less than four seconds and reach a top speed in excess of 300km/h.

The price of the Gullwing is expected to be roughly €150,000 (approximately $234,196), with production numbers likely to fall between 3,000 and 5,000 units per year.
source
Old 09-08-08, 08:39 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

That thing looks like it's ready to go to battle.
Old 09-08-08, 08:45 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Well, to be honest, the first thing that came to my mind was RX-8 meets Viper.
Old 09-08-08, 08:49 AM
Mazinger
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do I do when I roll that upside down?
Old 09-08-08, 10:20 AM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mazinger
What do I do when I roll that upside down?
LOL, climb out the window I guess?

I think bringing back the Gullwing is a great idea, but I will hold my praise for the final version. The camo hides a lot and the current SLR is so beautiful, I cannot see how this will look better. Particularly with half the price tag.
Old 09-08-08, 10:57 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

so much camo that the only thing i can really say i like are the fact that they are putting in gullwing doors
Old 09-08-08, 01:18 PM
BMwhat?
Lead Lap

way too much camo to really tell if its gonna be anything like the renderings ive seen.... the headlights aren't round like the drawings though..

its more like knight rider meets delorean with a teaspoon of viper... yikes!
Old 09-08-08, 03:41 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

When I look at this car I think of the BMW Z8 for some reason, especially when my eyes pour over the car from a 3/4 rear aspect. Must be just me.
Old 09-08-08, 06:28 PM
Koma

This thing looks like it's running on a 1st gen Viper body.
Old 09-10-08, 06:48 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Default Preview: New renderings of Mercedes’ upcoming SLC ‘Gullwing’

Preview: New renderings of Mercedes’ upcoming SLC ‘Gullwing’

Posted on Wednesday 10 September 2008

Mercedes’ upcoming SL gullwing successor may not be a Mercedes after all as the new supercar will reportedly be the first production model from the German carmaker to be badged exclusively under the brand of its AMG arm, perhaps to highlight the car’s performance prowess. Furthermore, it could also be simply called the ‘Gullwing’ as opposed to ‘SLC,’ which most reports have speculated thus far.

The AMG Gullwing is expected to be shown in production trim at the 2010 Geneva Auto Show, while a concept is expected to be shown at Frankfurt next year. A convertible variant, most likely sporting a cloth roof, is expected to be unveiled in 2011. These latest renderings give us a clue as to what the new car could look like, showing a vented bonnet and a new headlight design not seen on any previous Mercedes models.

The car’s exact dimensions have also been reported to be 4.65 meters long, 1.95 meters wide and just 1.25 meters tall, with a wheelbase of just 2.7 meters.

Mercedes’ decision to use only the AMG brand on the new car will also coincide with the release of the company’s first supercar since the end of its partnership with McLaren for the SLR.

Until now prototypes for the car have been heavily camouflaged, even wearing mock Dodge Viper panels at one point. The latest spy images give us a much better indication as to what the final version may look like, with a long hood, truncated rear cabin and short rear deck highlighting the design. An adjustable rear spoiler is also present, although the final design will almost certainly change before production.

Power will come from AMG’s familiar hand-built 6.2L V8 engine and is expected to top out at 580hp (433kW). The engine will be located up front but will be mounted behind the front axle for better weight distribution. Drive will be sent to the rear wheels via a newly developed dual-clutch transmission sitting in front of the rear axle. The Gullwing’s final kerb weight will be around 1,650kg, and with the V8 engine it should be able to accelerate from 0-100km/h in less than four seconds and reach a top speed in excess of 300km/h.

The price of the Gullwing is expected to be roughly €150,000 (approximately $234,196), with production numbers likely to fall between 3,000 and 5,000 units per year.
source

Quick Reply: Mercedes SLC Gullwing Spied With Door Up (+ Leaked shots of Mercedes SLC interior)