Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2009 Lincoln MKS AWD

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-08, 08:44 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

This is probably heresy on an enthusists site, but for this type of car, I'd take the lighter weight and better gas mileage of the FWD over the AWD. TRAC, VSC and FWD would get you thru winter driving. The handling gains of AWD on a big, heavy Lincoln would be minimal.
Old 08-01-08, 11:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Ah, I see the FWD variant is rated for 17/24. How large is this sedan? It seems bigger than a GS, but smaller than an LS. I guess its a deal when you get alot of car (not power) in comparisson to the price of an S, LS, 7 series. I dunno, Ill wait for the turbo version, which is supposed to be efficient but this doesnt look too promising.

It's roughly the same size as the Five Hundred/Taurus and Montego/Sable it was developed from, although at first glance it doesn't look quite as big because its styling is sleeker and more streamlined than that of its two more squared-off sisters.
Old 08-01-08, 11:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
This is probably heresy on an enthusists site, but for this type of car, I'd take the lighter weight and better gas mileage of the FWD over the AWD. TRAC, VSC and FWD would get you thru winter driving. The handling gains of AWD on a big, heavy Lincoln would be minimal.
This car handles quite well for a car of its size with AWD, although the steering response, as I mentioned in the review, was not particularly quick compared to some smaller cars.

I agree that TRAC/VCS helps on slippery roads with FWD, and helps a little (not much) with RWD, but, outside of the tire studs and chains that are outlawed in many places, there is simply no substitute for AWD when roads get really slick. It is becoming more and more of a safety issue in many of today's cars, especially upmarket ones, and luxury-car buyers are coming to expect an AWD option. On this particular car, I also noticed that the AWD helped handling even on dry pavement, compared to FWD versions of its sister cars I've tried.

RWD, I agree, is the best setup for aggressive driving on winding roads or for track use, as it suffers less power loss through the drivetrain than AWD does, but most Lincoln customers don't drive that way....or want to.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-01-08 at 11:49 AM.
Old 08-01-08, 02:06 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

in all honestly, fwd is not that bad, the green machine, one of the coolest things made for a child to use if you did not know, is fwd and is awesome to use haha. So mmarshall if it were up to you what would your have a fully loaded mks or a towncar, and on a side not i really hate where these names are going unless your lexus bmw mb or alfa, keep your names and stop using just letters
Old 08-01-08, 02:29 PM
LexFather

This is a hard car to classify.
1. The size of it is as large as the LS/S/7
2. The price of it is ES/IS option/base GS territory.
3. Its FWD with an AWD option with a V-6 only (so like the RL but they give consumers a choice).

The car is 37k base, 46k loaded. That is barely where the GS 350 AWD starts.

Lincoln I think did a GOOD JOB NOT making it go head to head with the competition.

Old 08-01-08, 03:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jmd93
So mmarshall if it were up to you what would your have a fully loaded mks or a towncar, and on a side not i really hate where these names are going unless your lexus bmw mb or alfa, keep your names and stop using just letters
Your spelling and punctuation is a little off here, but it looks like you are asking me if I would rather have a Town Car or an MKS, and that you don't like the way some auto companies use confusing alphabet designations.

I agree that the ABC designations can be confusing until you get used to them. Lincoln, Cadillac, and Acura are probably the worst examples.

As far as the MKS-Town Car choice, I like the Town Car's ride, full-frame towing ability, and the ability of that full frame to take punishment and offer good crash protection, but otherwise I prefer the MKS.
Old 08-01-08, 03:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
The car is 37k base, 46k loaded. That is barely where the GS 350 AWD starts.
The MKS compares favorably with the GS AWD, except for the annoying exhaust drone and the slightly bumpier transmission shifts under heavier throttle. The Lexus, admittedly, is slightly more refined, but the MKS is close.
Old 08-01-08, 05:24 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Your spelling and punctuation is a little off here, but it looks like you are asking me if I would rather have a Town Car or an MKS, and that you don't like the way some auto companies use confusing alphabet designations.

I agree that the ABC designations can be confusing until you get used to them. Lincoln, Cadillac, and Acura are probably the worst examples.

As far as the MKS-Town Car choice, I like the Town Car's ride, full-frame towing ability, and the ability of that full frame to take punishment and offer good crash protection, but otherwise I prefer the MKS.
Sorry about that, i was on the cell doing it and the little buttons make it a lot harder haha
Old 08-01-08, 05:40 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Sorry about that, i was on the cell doing it and the little buttons make it a lot harder haha
Old 08-03-08, 02:46 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,439 Likes on 1,599 Posts

Just saw the Motorweek show with MKS and I have to say that's one GREAT looking vehicle. I'd take it every time over the ES or GS. Motorweek really liked it too.
Old 08-03-08, 05:10 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

This afternoon I drove to a nearby auto mall to check out the Genesis and MKS. I hadn't seen either one in person. Both are nice, but IMO, not as dramatic as in the pictures. It's hard to stand out these days.

I thought the Genesis was stylish and conservative. To me, the MKS looked more contemporary and had more presence. From the side it looked CTS-like. The Genesis 3.8 stickered @ an even $40K and the FWD MKS with a lot of options was a little over $43K.

On the way out I drove by a new Maxima on an outdoor display, and it looked every bit as good, if not better than the Hyundai or Lincoln. IMHO of course.

Don't know if either the Genesis or MKS would be on my radar, but interesting new offerings.
Old 08-03-08, 06:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,439 Likes on 1,599 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
On the way out I drove by a new Maxima on an outdoor display, and it looked every bit as good, if not better than the Hyundai or Lincoln. IMHO of course.
From what I've seen of the new Max interior it's not even close to those other cars. They gotta cut cost somewhere.
Old 08-03-08, 06:27 PM
audi2nr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

once again i puked in my mouth, i really don't see what everyone else sees in the ugly front ends of recent lincoln vehicles, interior doesn't look so bad. i just really don't ever see my self in any ford vehicle unless it was some sort of truck for work i just think their stuff is plain ugly.
Old 08-04-08, 05:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
From what I've seen of the new Max interior it's not even close to those other cars. They gotta cut cost somewhere.
So Nissan is going back to junk interiors again? They have just barely recovered from the last time they tried that.............right after Ghosn/Renault bought them out.

Do auto marketers EVER learn?
Old 08-04-08, 05:47 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

The early reports I've seen on the interior of the new gen Maxima have been favorable. A very subjective area either way though.

Quick Reply: Review: 2009 Lincoln MKS AWD