Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next gen Chrysler sedans may be Nissan Altima based

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-08, 04:34 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Next gen Chrysler sedans may be Nissan Altima based

Chrysler is working on a new mid-sedans that will replace the current Chrysler Sebring and Dodge Avenger. A new team has been assembled for the emergency overhaul called ‘Project D’ and will only concentrate on the new mid-sized sedans.

The cars aren’t expected to arrive until 2011 as a 2012 model year but are already eating up a big chunk of Chrysler’s engineering and design resources. According to MotorTrend, Chrysler is approaching the project in three different ways.

The first is to develop its own new platform; to use a platform from either Fiat or Nissan’s mid-size Altima with different sheetmetal; or use its Fiat or Nissan connection to do the whole Volkswagen Routan based on the Chrysler minivan thing.

MotorTrend says that Dodge will get the mid-size sedans while the Sebring will only be available as a convertible.
Old 07-31-08, 04:39 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

OHHH Project D... so is Chrysler gonna go around Japan battling various crews on touge runs?
Old 07-31-08, 09:37 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

The american car companies are so inept in producing decent cars they just sub contract the work out to a japanese company. Nice!! This is getting more and more frequent. I remeber when honda was putting motors into saturn SUV's.
Old 07-31-08, 09:50 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
The american car companies are so inept in producing decent cars they just sub contract the work out to a japanese company. Nice!! This is getting more and more frequent. I remeber when honda was putting motors into saturn SUV's.
Well...Indian company now.
Old 07-31-08, 10:18 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Or Rover working with Honda back in the 1980s when British cars hit their all time low.
Old 08-01-08, 06:40 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought this sounded familiar http://www.leftlanenews.com/chrysler...rs-trucks.html Nissan gets Dodge Trucks and Chrysler get Nissan cars, it's win win
Old 08-01-08, 07:19 AM
LexFather

Good idea to me. I'm not at all impressed with the Altima in driving it but seems the Maxima reviews are solid.