Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Need your help Car Chat.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-08, 10:39 PM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UberNoob
is the sales man that sold u the car still working there?
someone's getting fired. But knowing lexus's dealerships, he's probably already gone.
Old 08-01-08, 10:39 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

This is an every day occurance in the car business. I think buy low and sell high is the basis for every business.
Old 08-02-08, 11:52 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

post some pics so we know what you're talking about. I remember going into a dealership to get my previous car appraised and the suckers told me my car had been in accident(rear-ended) but I know for sure it's accident free why? Trusted mechanic over 10 yrs told me it was accident free then an alignment shop confirmed it again. I'd take that into consideration when dealing with salesman. Not saying all are bad but they're out there.
Old 08-02-08, 12:47 PM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To answer everyones questions the salesperson is no longer there. He left maybe in december i think. As for the tailight issue the passenger side is chrome like the 2001 and also like the 2002-2003 models that are lighter colors. It didnt cause concern when i bought the car in 2007 because i thought someone might have broken or damaged just the tailight and maybe replaced it at the dealer with the wrong light.

Today i did hear back from the dealer they are going to see how badly the car was damaged but they immediately tried to offer me a trade which i refused because im going to lose alot of money because of the accident and then i end up buying another car from them.

If it comes back as more than a few nicks and scratches then the only option is to see if they will buy the car back. I really feel i was cheated and i cant believe it was a Lexus dealer that did it.
Old 08-02-08, 06:10 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks. You don't have to wait for a formal response. You can PM me anytime with a question....that is what the PM's are for.

Black, because of its tendency to accentuate almost any kind of imperfection in paint texture or glossiness, is quite difficult to match perfectly on a repaint, especially the standard jet-black color, which differs from black metallic or black "Pearl" tones. Often, a jet-black repaint, especially a cheaper or poor-quality job, will show small ripples, "orange-peel texture" and slightly less gloss than a factory-original job.

Check for any differences in the two front tires and wheels. If the left-front of the car was accident-damaged, as they say, and the damage was bad enough to have affected the tire/wheel, the left-front wheel may have been replaced and be newer-looking than the right-front one, with less dirt, dust, scratches, etc...on it, as will the tire (unless, of course, the tires have been rotated in the meantime with routine maintenance). Also, check under the left-front wheel for new-looking suspension parts, steering arm, etc... that may have been replaced as well.

If you say the taillights don't match, I'm not sure I follow you....you say one is black and one chrome? I can't imagine a body shop that would put two different taillights on the back of the same car. But if you suspect that is the case, then look at other rear-end parts too....especially the two rear fenders, and see if the black paint textures and finish match on both. If they don't, then you may have something. The bozos who repainted the rear (if that was the case) may not have masked off the taillight chrome like they should have before spraying the black paint. That could (?) explain the difference in the taillights.
heres a helpful hint...EVERY toyota/lexus made after 2000 has the VIN numbers on the body panels. locate the vin numbers and match them up. in the case of my former car, the matrix, the VIN stickers were not put back on the doors and front and rear fenders of the car when they were replaced. the body shop that did the repairs contacted toyota, and the stickers are issued one time for each VIN and kept track of in a computer system. if your panels dont have matching vin numbers somewhere on them (the ones for the bumpers are usually between the trunk and the bumper or hood and bumper, and the ones for the fenders are between the hood and fender), then you dont have original parts.
Old 08-02-08, 06:39 PM
RolxuSC400
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So Im a bit confused with respect to the carfax...you state that it says it was in an accident...so I presume you didnt see the carfax until AFTER you found out that it was in an accident?

Also, did you buy this as a CPO from the Lexus dealer? If so, I dont think they are allowed to sell them as a CPO if they have known body work or a dirty carfax. I thought they are to show you the carfax upfront before you purchase as a CPO. I know Toyota is that way at least thats what a friend told me who was the used car GM at a Toyota dealer.
Old 08-03-08, 08:15 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by RolxuSC400

Also, did you buy this as a CPO from the Lexus dealer? If so, I don't think they are allowed to sell them as a CPO if they have known body work or a dirty carfax. I thought they are to show you the carfax upfront before you purchase as a CPO. I know Toyota is that way at least that's what a friend told me who was the used car GM at a Toyota dealer.
Yeah, when I bought my CPO Lexus, they gave me a copy of the CarFax paperwork along with all of the other purchase paperwork. I was paranoid when I was buying it. Read the CarFax carefully and went out to the car to verify that it was the same VIN; the same car as on the Carfax report.
Old 08-03-08, 08:29 AM
LexFather

Okay, if its CPO or you have a warrenty, you have a case.
If you bought it as is, no warrenty, your screwed.

Old 08-03-08, 03:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
heres a helpful hint...EVERY toyota/lexus made after 2000 has the VIN numbers on the body panels. locate the vin numbers and match them up. in the case of my former car, the matrix, the VIN stickers were not put back on the doors and front and rear fenders of the car when they were replaced. the body shop that did the repairs contacted toyota, and the stickers are issued one time for each VIN and kept track of in a computer system. if your panels dont have matching vin numbers somewhere on them (the ones for the bumpers are usually between the trunk and the bumper or hood and bumper, and the ones for the fenders are between the hood and fender), then you dont have original parts.
Thanks, ..............a helpful hint. I was not aware of the Toyota/Lexus VIN-matching system on body parts. Usually, though, a good eye can spot body work unless it is extremely well-done or concealed.
Old 08-04-08, 07:03 PM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The car was not bought as a CPO but was not as is no warranty. The MB dealer spotted some of the work and i can see after careful inspection so areas where there may have been paint work and the rear bumper doesnt fit properly. The only thing carfax says is that the left front was dmamaged and a month later suspension work was done. I feel I was cheated the sales person said the carfax was clean.
Old 08-04-08, 08:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,434 Likes on 1,596 Posts

I think your only leverage would be if you did a trade in at the Lexus dealer, they might split the diff. in extra depreciation or something. Trade it elsewhere, and you're on your own I'd say unfortunately. I could be wrong though.
Old 08-05-08, 04:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by MSMLexIS
The car was not bought as a CPO but was not as is no warranty. The MB dealer spotted some of the work and i can see after careful inspection so areas where there may have been paint work and the rear bumper doesnt fit properly. The only thing carfax says is that the left front was dmamaged and a month later suspension work was done. I feel I was cheated the sales person said the carfax was clean.
I'm not a lawyer (and you might want to get a lawyer's opinion on this), but if that sales person can still be located or if he/she is still at the dealership (if you still have the sales-related paperwork and Bill of Sale, that salesperson's name might be on it or in the dealership's computers), you might even have a civil case in small-claims court for the difference between what you car would be normally valued at and what is is worth now, with accident damage. If the salesperson canot be located, the claim might be against the dealership. It would have to be a significant amount, though, otherwise it is not worth getting tangled up in the legal system. Also, I wouldn't sue the Lexus dealership if you ever plan on using it again or buying another car there.
Old 08-05-08, 05:04 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MSMLexIS
The MB dealer spotted some of the work and i can see after careful inspection so areas where there may have been paint work and the rear bumper doesnt fit properly. The only thing carfax says is that the left front was dmamaged and a month later suspension work was done. I feel I was cheated the sales person said the carfax was clean.

I'd chalk it up as an expensive lesson.....always look at the CARFAX yourself (but don't always trust it...there's nothing making body shops report work to CARFAX).

Also - in the future, take someone with you that has more experience identifying car damage.

I know its a Lexus dealer and all.....but still it IS a used car dealer.

good luck and let us know.
Old 08-05-08, 07:43 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
heres a helpful hint...EVERY toyota/lexus made after 2000 has the VIN numbers on the body panels.
Actually they've been doing this since the late 80's early 90s.
Old 08-05-08, 07:57 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I got my 2006 RX400h CPO I got the CarFax and the window sticker etc. handed to me immediately.

Quick Reply: Need your help Car Chat.