Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Will Lexus follow the FI trend

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-08, 02:40 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverBull
Lexus will be behind the 8 ball as far as performance goes if they don't follow suit I am afraid. Their currently lineup is nice but not fast enough. They need the F models to really take off and get better with each one.
From all the weird stuff I've read about the auto industry and all the gear heads I met, Toyota/Lexus is a follower not a leader, Germans take a lot of crap for dropping in new technology that has some glitches only to get passed over by a Japanese company that is doing nothing more then perfecting the idea.

No doubt Toyota is doing something right, but for once I would really like to see them come out with an original setup before someone else, not just add a model to compete for sales.
Old 08-03-08, 03:23 AM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by EDGE2
From all the weird stuff I've read about the auto industry and all the gear heads I met, Toyota/Lexus is a follower not a leader, Germans take a lot of crap for dropping in new technology that has some glitches only to get passed over by a Japanese company that is doing nothing more then perfecting the idea.

No doubt Toyota is doing something right, but for once I would really like to see them come out with an original setup before someone else, not just add a model to compete for sales.
Just a hypothetical situation, Company A and Company B both at the same time make something very similar, Company A releases it 1st without extensive testing, Company B releases it later with extensive testing working out the bugs, does it mean Company B is a follower even though both created it at the same time?

I'm just giving this as a example, because it is hard for a company to just wait to see what a company makes and offers, and then in turn offer it in their cars because they need to still test it out and work out the kinks and make sure the suppliers are inline with the product
Old 08-03-08, 04:47 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i think toyota can bring back the supra turbo engine anytime if needed.
Old 08-03-08, 10:41 AM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by dunnojack
i think toyota can bring back the supra turbo engine anytime if needed.
with emmissions and mpg being more strict, doubt the 2jz would come back
Old 08-04-08, 03:30 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

No one has mentioned now that Subaru is part of Toyota and Toyota and Subaru are teaming up on various cars including a cheap rear wheel drive car. Subaru also has a vast number of turbo engines, especially the EJ25( 2.5 liter turbo). I think we will see this engine or similar in future toyota/scion/lexus cars.
Old 08-04-08, 03:38 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subaru is really not "part of Toyota", Toyota just owns about 17% of Fuji Heavy's shares. However, you are right on Subaru and Toyota are working together on the new light-weight and cheap RWD coupe.
Old 08-04-08, 08:55 PM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ffpower
Subaru is really not "part of Toyota", Toyota just owns about 17% of Fuji Heavy's shares. However, you are right on Subaru and Toyota are working together on the new light-weight and cheap RWD coupe.
16.5% to be more exact. And it was finalized only a few weeks ago. The coupe is gonna be a toyota in japan, and a subaru everywhere else.
Old 08-04-08, 10:18 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by f=ma
16.5% to be more exact. And it was finalized only a few weeks ago. The coupe is gonna be a toyota in japan, and a subaru everywhere else.
The different badge thing was only a rumor
Old 08-05-08, 12:59 AM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by xioix
The different badge thing was only a rumor
really? so which badge will it be under? probably toyota
Old 08-05-08, 10:19 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lexus will be behind the 8 ball as far as performance goes if they don't follow suit I am afraid. Their currently lineup is nice but not fast enough. They need the F models to really take off and get better with each one.
I guess I missed the part where being "fast" was important to the brand selling wel.
Old 08-05-08, 10:21 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xioix
Just a hypothetical situation, Company A and Company B both at the same time make something very similar, Company A releases it 1st without extensive testing, Company B releases it later with extensive testing working out the bugs, does it mean Company B is a follower even though both created it at the same time?

I'm just giving this as a example, because it is hard for a company to just wait to see what a company makes and offers, and then in turn offer it in their cars because they need to still test it out and work out the kinks and make sure the suppliers are inline with the product
BINGO!!!! DING DING DING!!! You R t3h winnar!

"German Engineering" is a nice oxymoron I hear often
Old 08-05-08, 11:33 AM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think Lexus will be behind in performance. 5 years ago BMW said turbocharging was a cheap way to get power only NA engines. Since then BMW has to use turbos to compete with the NA engines of Lexus and Infiniti.
Old 08-05-08, 01:43 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shawnmack
I don't think Lexus will be behind in performance. 5 years ago BMW said turbocharging was a cheap way to get power only NA engines. Since then BMW has to use turbos to compete with the NA engines of Lexus and Infiniti.
To be fair it's because they don't want to alienate their inline-6 engines. They couldn't bump the displacement anymore to fit it into a 3-series so to compete in terms of power they used turbos.